+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mental Health and Immigration

Dispholidus

Nov 10, 2020
Moving to Canada has been a dream for several years now - I currently live in the UK. I’m still several years away from actually applying, but I’ve started to look into the requirements to get a sense of whether this is a feasible goal to work towards. My main concern is that I have a history of mental illness, including a period of psychiatric inpatient hospitalisation when I was 15 due to clinical depression and anxiety. After being discharged, I was on anti-depressants for a while which I now no longer take. I also experienced hallucinations, which I took medication for. I’m no longer on medication, and I’m no longer under any mental health services as of the last two years. I also have a diagnosis of autism and dyspraxia, which I manage by myself and honestly impact my life very little.

I’m currently in my third year of a BSc, and my next step would be to either go straight into a PhD or do an MSc followed by a PhD. Then I would look into getting at least a year of full-time work before applying, and ideally try to secure a job offer in Canada as well. This would also give me several years to prove consistently that I would no longer be a drain on resource due to risk of hospitalisation. I intend to have a good amount of money saved up before I apply, which I‘ve read can be reassuring.

Is this likely to impact my application in the future? I’m also wondering if it’s worth talking to my GP sometime soon about either removing the depression and anxiety diagnoses, and getting it on record now that I’m a lot more stable and doing well if possible.

Thanks in advance!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No, shouldn't be an issue.

The rule you're looking for is Medical Inadmissibility. Specifically - are you (in the eyes of a IRCC empaneled physician) a "danger to public health/safety"?

As long as you don't have a "risk of:
  • sudden incapacity (loss of physical and mental abilities)
  • unpredictable or violent behaviour
"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/reasons/medical-inadmissibility.html#public-safety

The drain on public resources is a high bar - as long as your medication costs less than $102,585 over 5 years (or $20,517 per year), you won't have an issue.

Based on what you're saying (please do note that I'm not a doctor), you should be OK.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Moving to Canada has been a dream for several years now - I currently live in the UK. I’m still several years away from actually applying, but I’ve started to look into the requirements to get a sense of whether this is a feasible goal to work towards. My main concern is that I have a history of mental illness, including a period of psychiatric inpatient hospitalisation when I was 15 due to clinical depression and anxiety. After being discharged, I was on anti-depressants for a while which I now no longer take. I also experienced hallucinations, which I took medication for. I’m no longer on medication, and I’m no longer under any mental health services as of the last two years. I also have a diagnosis of autism and dyspraxia, which I manage by myself and honestly impact my life very little.

I’m currently in my third year of a BSc, and my next step would be to either go straight into a PhD or do an MSc followed by a PhD. Then I would look into getting at least a year of full-time work before applying, and ideally try to secure a job offer in Canada as well. This would also give me several years to prove consistently that I would no longer be a drain on resource due to risk of hospitalisation. I intend to have a good amount of money saved up before I apply, which I‘ve read can be reassuring.

Is this likely to impact my application in the future? I’m also wondering if it’s worth talking to my GP sometime soon about either removing the depression and anxiety diagnoses, and getting it on record now that I’m a lot more stable and doing well if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Your doctors will not be able to remove any health information from your file and any lying during your medical could result in a ban due to misrepresentation. If you have remained out of the hospital for 5-10 years before applying and you are able to remain in school or employed you shouldn't have an issue. Like in the UK there it is difficult to get help for mental health issues. Things like seeing a psychologist is not covered by the provincial healthcare system and Canada doesn't have national pharmacare province. Finding a job that includes access to an extended health benefit program (you still have to pay into the program) will be important to seek out so you can access things like counselling and medication vs paying out of pocket.

amandawoodson

May 4, 2023
Thank you so much for sharing this insightful article on mental health and immigration. I understand how crucial mental health is, especially when it comes to relocating to a new country. I think it's important to acknowledge the unique challenges that immigrants face and you do an excellent job of highlighting them.

While reading your forum, I came across related article titled Calmerry Guide : A Glimpse Into the World of Online Therapy that might interest you and your readers. It's about an online therapy platform, Calmerry, that aims to provide accessible and affordable mental health care to everyone. The article discusses how the platform works, its benefits, and how it has helped many people take care of their mental health needs. I believe that access to affordable and convenient mental health care is crucial, and Calmerry seems like an excellent platform for those who need it.

In conclusion, I think it's essential to continue the conversation on mental health and immigration, and articles like these help to create awareness and provide support to those who need it. I hope that this comment helps to contribute to the conversation and provides useful information to your readers. Thank you for sharing your insights and for allowing me to share mine.

Falko

Jun 30, 2023
Mental health is very important for everyone and should be monitored. And if there were problems like mine, then even more so. I even purchased It makes it much easier for me to solve problems and get answers to many questions.