+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MEng (course based) ECE at University of Ottawa vs MSc (Thesis) ECE at University of New Brunswick

Asv21$

Jul 14, 2018
I have been contacted by a prof from UNB (University of New Brunswick) where I had applied for MS (thesis) in ECE for Winter 2019 when I was not getting any admits. I had applied to uOttawa for MS but got an admit in MEng (coursework) for fall 2018.

I chatted with the prof at UNB a bit and he said that I seem to be a good fit for their University.

I have MENG admit at uOttawa for fall 18 and classes start at Sept 1.

Ottawa has much better reputation than UNB and is at a better location but UNB is offering MS -Thesis with funding

I haven’t planned if I want to go for a phd yet but the prof’s research at UNB seems very impressive at least for Masters.

What do you think is a better option with respect to future career and also considering financial status?

Please help me wit the confusion.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
If you don't mind, could you please tell what did you choose? And how was the turnout?
I had to choose between Waterloo (MEng) and Queens (MASc). I made a gamble that I'll transfer to MASc at Waterloo. So far gamble seems to be OK as I have two professors interested. Let's see what happens. I'll join in Fall 2018.

Asv21$

Jul 14, 2018
Hey
Thank you very much for the reply
I'll keep your suggestion definitely in my mind
Hope everything turns out good

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Hey
Thank you very much for the reply
I'll keep your suggestion definitely in my mind
Hope everything turns out good
Thank you. I hope so, too, for you.

If it helps you: Choose between Queens and Waterloo was one of the hardest decisions I've made. But in reality it won't make much of a difference. Go where your heart is.

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
I have been contacted by a prof from UNB (University of New Brunswick) where I had applied for MS (thesis) in ECE for Winter 2019 when I was not getting any admits. I had applied to uOttawa for MS but got an admit in MEng (coursework) for fall 2018.

I chatted with the prof at UNB a bit and he said that I seem to be a good fit for their University.

I have MENG admit at uOttawa for fall 18 and classes start at Sept 1.

Ottawa has much better reputation than UNB and is at a better location but UNB is offering MS -Thesis with funding

I haven’t planned if I want to go for a phd yet but the prof’s research at UNB seems very impressive at least for Masters.

What do you think is a better option with respect to future career and also considering financial status?

Please help me wit the confusion.
Later, in future, from employment point of view it won't make much difference from which Uni the degree was obtained. In addition, there won't be any difference in the courses you choose between MEng or MASc. If you don't have plan to pursue PhD ever in your life then it doesn't matter whether you choose do MEng or MASc. Suppose, at some point in future due to some circumstances you wish to go for PhD then today you should choose MASc. While applying for PhD, your MASc prof. recommendations will come handy and may lead to good scholarship for PhD etc etc.

If I were in your position, I would go for MASc as I will be getting funding and this offsets my financial burden to some extent. The money which I would have spent on MEng. from my pocket that I can save and use during job search after completion of MASc. Further, the cost of living around UNB will be comparatively less than Ottawa. Lastly, if you have desire to obtain PR then you may use NB province to your advantage as I assume that it won't have that fierce competition as Ontario province. Good luck !

Asv21$

Jul 14, 2018
Later, in future, from employment point of view it won't make much difference from which Uni the degree was obtained. In addition, there won't be any difference in the courses you choose between MEng or MASc. If you don't have plan to pursue PhD ever in your life then it doesn't matter whether you choose do MEng or MASc. Suppose, at some point in future due to some circumstances you wish to go for PhD then today you should choose MASc. While applying for PhD, your MASc prof. recommendations will come handy and may lead to good scholarship for PhD etc etc.

If I were in your position, I would go for MASc as I will be getting funding and this offsets my financial burden to some extent. The money which I would have spent on MEng. from my pocket that I can save and use during job search after completion of MASc. Further, the cost of living around UNB will be comparatively less than Ottawa. Lastly, if you have desire to obtain PR then you may use NB province to your advantage as I assume that it won't have that fierce competition as Ontario province. Good luck !
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. Yes I would like to keep my options open for a PhD.