London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29/07/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/08/2013
Sherry G said:
goodluck but the city sucks, its beautiful dont get me wrong, there are little or no part time job opportunities, people are out migrating and stuff. if you're taking 4 years course, u gonna have a bad time there.
Wowzers.

There's always one uninformed troll talking absolute guff. What's you've just said is typical of the average Canadian who doesn't know anything about the city, other than they like fish and the industry collapsed in the 1990s.

Part time jobs are everywhere, such is the economic state of the city, walk down Water Street or George street on a given day and loads of shops have hiring signs. "People are out migrating and stuff". What planet are you on? Net migration is well up on Newfoundland because of the oil. The harbour is full of ships daily and is bustling with activity. This is seen downtown too, not an empty space available right now.

Canadas economy, like much of the world has been affected by the worldwide crash, this year it's expected to be 1%. Newfoundland and Labrador is looking at between 5% and 6% growth.

Feel I had to respond to your post because I spoke to a guy in Toronto recently who spun a tale from the same yarn. But you clearly have not spent more than a few days here, and not recently. Because it's factually inaccurate. And I've said this before, Toronto has a big population and a lot of jobs. St. John's has a small population and fewer jobs. But enough to go around for those who want them!

Please Sherry G, you've come to Canada in 2013 to study at a university thousands of miles away from St. John's. If you have been here (which I doubt) it clearly wasn't long enough to get a good understanding of the city.

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
Already submitted along with the file
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
moorw003 said:
Wowzers.

There's always one uninformed troll talking absolute guff. What's you've just said is typical of the average Canadian who doesn't know anything about the city, other than they like fish and the industry collapsed in the 1990s.

Part time jobs are everywhere, such is the economic state of the city, walk down Water Street or George street on a given day and loads of shops have hiring signs. "People are out migrating and stuff". What planet are you on? Net migration is well up on Newfoundland because of the oil. The harbour is full of ships daily and is bustling with activity. This is seen downtown too, not an empty space available right now.

Canadas economy, like much of the world has been affected by the worldwide crash, this year it's expected to be 1%. Newfoundland and Labrador is looking at between 5% and 6% growth.

Feel I had to respond to your post because I spoke to a guy in Toronto recently who spun a tale from the same yarn. But you clearly have not spent more than a few days here, and not recently. Because it's factually inaccurate. And I've said this before, Toronto has a big population and a lot of jobs. St. John's has a small population and fewer jobs. But enough to go around for those who want them!

Please Sherry G, you've come to Canada in 2013 to study at a university thousands of miles away from St. John's. If you have been here (which I doubt) it clearly wasn't long enough to get a good understanding of the city.
"Toronto has a big population and a lot of jobs. St. John's has a small population and fewer jobs", That's the point! Thanks for mentioning it.

elokuu

Jun 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2015
AOR Received.
27-08-2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
02-03-2016
St. John's also has a smaller amount of people looking for those jobs. So the jobs per job seeker ratio might very well be the same in Toronto and St. John's. And that's really all that matters.

moorw003

Aug 11, 2013
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29/07/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/08/2013
SSHanna said:
"Toronto has a big population and a lot of jobs. St. John's has a small population and fewer jobs", That's the point! Thanks for mentioning it.
As the last poster says, it's about numbers going for those jobs. There are two important points, ratio of jobs to those who want them, and the underlying unemployment rate of both cities. At this moment in time, St. John's wallops Toronto on both fronts.

Take unemployment for example, it is 9.5% in Toronto, and 6% in St. John's (one of the lowest rates in Canada). With a population of just 100,000, you are not fighting lots of people for jobs.

To prove my point I went into one of the Tim Horton's that has a big placard outside advertising full and part time jobs. I enquired as to whether there has been any interest in the posts, and in 1 week they've had 3 applications. They might be about to get a 4th :D

Anil K

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anil K said:
SSHanna
wat is the application fee for this university and how many days does it take to get offer letter?
and you are going there for bachelors in science and wat is the major? (I thought to take environmental science)
I asked my agent abt this university and she said me why do u want to go to a Island?
and she said its hard to get part time jobs there and even if I get one it will be problem to get job(in science field) after completing the course.

bdmaninnl

Star Member
Mar 18, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SSHanna said:
I am from Egypt! Is it possible to complete all these courses in Winter and Spring semester only?. They do not offer all Engineering One courses for Spring semester.
they do offer the courses in spring semester n i must admit that it is really tough to complete all the 11 courses by this tym...i received some credits so my course load will be less...when does the registration starts?

Sherry G

Star Member
Dec 24, 2012
Moncton, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
chc abu dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
Doc's Request.
12-1-2013
IELTS Request
submited with application
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Request
waived
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
14-1-2013
LANDED..........
22-1-2013
being in coop doesn't guarantee a job. what im saying is, there are not enough jobs compared to number of people. its worst province in terms of unemployment rate at around 11% i suppose. Now im not discouraging you, im telling what to expect, when i first came in moncton, from middle east, i had trouble getting job for 7 months.

Sherry G

Star Member
Dec 24, 2012
Moncton, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
chc abu dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
Doc's Request.
12-1-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Request
waived
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
14-1-2013
LANDED..........
22-1-2013
moorw003 said:
Wowzers.

now, your problem is that i have been to NFL. i have so many newfies in my class, i say what they say. recent oil discoveries there does not change the fact that it had worst unemployment rate by province. 'out migrating' is term used by my newfie classmate, iam sure she had more time in that city than you have.

moorw003

Aug 11, 2013
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29/07/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/08/2013
You are mixing up Newfoundland and Labrador, which is a big province and the City of St. John's which is a small city and a tiny part of the province.

It's an important distinction because the province is very big, and split into 2 parts by the sea. The province unemployment is indeed 11% (and in fact that's the reported figure, it may well be higher than that). St. John's it is 6%. It's a case of have and have not. Unfortunately for most newfies, the St. John's success story has no benefit to them at all.

Out migrating, most certainly does take place on some level in every place and that's true of St. John's. Although the population has increased over the last decade above a flat lining birth rate, so net migration to St. John's is well up... so out migration certainly isn't a problem. Now I wouldn't necessarily class students who have left St. John's as typical out migrators anyway. For example if I was from St. John's I wouldn't go to Memorial University, because the point of uni is to go away from home and meet new people and experience new things. That's why everyone on this board is here after all, otherwise we'd just stay at uni at home. Although if I did come from St. John's, or NL in general, I'd probably rather go to university that has a reputation at least as good as the one in my home town, which Newfies in Moncton haven't done!

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
bdmaninnl said:
they do offer the courses in spring semester n i must admit that it is really tough to complete all the 11 courses by this tym...i received some credits so my course load will be less...when does the registration starts?
"In Winter semester they do offer all engineering one courses"
"In Spring semester all but CHEM 1050 and PHY 1050 Engineering one courses are offered", quoted from the email reply I received from Marion Morgenstern.
By the way, I am also waiting for the outcome of my transfer credit evaluation since I attended the first year of Engineering (bachelor) in my current university. How many credits did you receive? and How much time did you have to wait to know the outcome of your credit evaluation after you have been offered admission?
I think the registration starts six to eight weeks before the semester.

Sherry G

Star Member
Dec 24, 2012
Moncton, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
chc abu dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
Doc's Request.
12-1-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Request
waived
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
14-1-2013
LANDED..........
22-1-2013
anyways hanna good luck! ;D

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
Sherry G said:
anyways hanna good luck! ;D
Thanks! By the way what did you mean by "being in coop doesn't guarantee jobs"? If you are referring to jobs after graduation, then if you were an employer and you trained and paid an intern during his coop program for one or two work semesters, wouldn't you think seriously about offering him a job after graduation? I mean you already know that he is familiar with your company and the job environment! I gotta admit..nothing is guaranteed, but the chances of getting a job are kinda high then.

elokuu

Jun 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2015
AOR Received.
27-08-2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
02-03-2016
All this talk about the National Football League is confusing me.