+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medications when settling

NYC_to_VAN

Aug 30, 2017
Hi there,

I'm moving to Canada from the USA and am currently taking many medications.

I plan on signing up for my health care card as soon as I enter but I have some questions about the interim period.
I plan on bringing me a 90 day supply of my routine medications and am worried that some of my medications will run out before I receive this card. If I do get my card on day 90 (or 91), I'm assuming it might take a few more days to come in the mail. Also, how do I go about getting a new doctor (which I'm assuming might take a bit to get an appointment) to write me my prescriptions?
I know some aren't covered by Pharmacare or need extra authorization.

I plan on having health insurance in the interim, but I know it doesn't cover routine prescriptions or establishing care.

Any suggestions?
Right now I'm thinking I'll have to pay to see a doctor around 80 days in and pay for month's worth of medications to hold me over? Will they prescribe and fill my meds if I pay for them out of pocket?
Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm assuming from what you've said that you are moving to BC. The wait time for provincial health coverage is the balance of the month you land plus 2 months, not 90 days.

You will need to pay to see a doctor until then. You will likely only be able to get into a walk-in clinic while you don't have coverage.

Also, Pharmacare coverage is not going to cover your prescriptions immediately. You must first reach the deductible, which is calculated based on your family income. Unless you are low income, I believe the deductible is at least a few thousand dollars.

NYC_to_VAN

Aug 30, 2017
I'm assuming from what you've said that you are moving to BC. The wait time for provincial health coverage is the balance of the month you land plus 2 months, not 90 days.

You will need to pay to see a doctor until then. You will likely only be able to get into a walk-in clinic while you don't have coverage.

Also, Pharmacare coverage is not going to cover your prescriptions immediately. You must first reach the deductible, which is calculated based on your family income. Unless you are low income, I believe the deductible is at least a few thousand dollars.
Thanks canuk_in_uk. And yes, I'm going to BC. So ideally, I should arrive towards the end of the month to give me a little more time???
And thanks for the info about Pharmacare.
At one point in my research I was able to find a pricing guide for medications, do you know of one that exists?
And what is the benefit of getting private insurance? Is it worth it? Does it cover medications?

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi there,

I'm moving to Canada from the USA and am currently taking many medications.

I plan on signing up for my health care card as soon as I enter but I have some questions about the interim period.
I plan on bringing me a 90 day supply of my routine medications and am worried that some of my medications will run out before I receive this card. If I do get my card on day 90 (or 91), I'm assuming it might take a few more days to come in the mail. Also, how do I go about getting a new doctor (which I'm assuming might take a bit to get an appointment) to write me my prescriptions?
I know some aren't covered by Pharmacare or need extra authorization.

I plan on having health insurance in the interim, but I know it doesn't cover routine prescriptions or establishing care.

Any suggestions?
Right now I'm thinking I'll have to pay to see a doctor around 80 days in and pay for month's worth of medications to hold me over? Will they prescribe and fill my meds if I pay for them out of pocket?
Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
you should go to Médecins du Monde Canada for free
http://www.medecinsdumonde.ca/fr/

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm not sure of your future plans or whether you are being sponsored but if you plan to become a PR if your medical costs are too high you will be deemed medically inadmissible. Just wanted to warn you.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
I think that is primarily for those without the resources to pay for care while they wait for their provincial program or people living without status.
of course and Plan B in case of an emergency,,, in between you are allow to use your provincial medical plan,,, bon chance,,,