+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medicals for Express Entry: High Blood Pressure

indimmigrant

Jan 25, 2018
I am currently working in Toronto on a temporary work permit and have applied for Express Entry last month. I got an invite and got my medical examination done in the process of submitting my PR application. During the exam, I was told that my BP is high and this is the first time I was reported about it. Panel Physician requested for Serum Creatinine test and submitted the documents after observing that the test results are normal. I submitted all my documentation about a week after my medical results were submitted by the panel physician.

After reading this thread and other related threads, I understood that the ECG and Echocardiogram are other common tests that were requested by CIC/Panel Physicians. At the moment, I am anxious about the furtherance tests that could be requested by CIC and have some questions around the processing timeline and anyone who had undergone a similar situation while they are here in Canada.
  • Are the medical exam results reviewed by CIC based on the date the Panel Physician submitted the results or based on the AOR (i.e. date I submitted my PR application post ITA)?
  • If anyone has taken ECG and Echocardiogram tests in Toronto or Canada, how much would they cost?
Please share any information that could help me better understand what I should be expecting. I sincerely appreciate the help. Thanks.

Cin

Sep 24, 2017
Absolutely right....I have little high blood pressure & CIC panel physician asked me to do creatinine test with my first medical exam. Once results submitted to CIC..After a week, cic send me an request to do another Creatinine test which I did. I passed my medical after that.
Hello,
Pls what were your figures for the first test?

ICG

Oct 17, 2018
Hello guys... I had my remedical done and they say my BP is high with reading of 140/100 back to back check up and next morning also same reading... However when I check my BP near my home clinic it reads 140/90... So 140/100 is too high to reject my application? Or what are the further procedures? I passed interview and got pre-arrival mail from CIC as well... Please help!

ziszee

Oct 18, 2018
Hello everyone,
I did my upfront medical exam in a different state than the state I live in US. The blood pressure was high (150/110) but the panel physician didn't do ECG or any other additional tests. But, now they are saying I need to see a Cardiologist and get a report from him regarding the high blood pressure and get tests done if recommended by him. Other than that, they can't submit my e-medical. Now my question is:
1. Can I get an appointment from any regular cardiologist or he/she should be a panel physician set by IRCC?
2. What tests are usually done in this case and how much would be the cost in US?

JaiCanada

Feb 9, 2018
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2018
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
Med's Done....
12-06-2018
Passport Req..
27-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
16-10-2018
LANDED..........
02-11-2018
Hello everyone,
I did my upfront medical exam in a different state than the state I live in US. The blood pressure was high (150/110) but the panel physician didn't do ECG or any other additional tests. But, now they are saying I need to see a Cardiologist and get a report from him regarding the high blood pressure and get tests done if recommended by him. Other than that, they can't submit my e-medical. Now my question is:
1. Can I get an appointment from any regular cardiologist or he/she should be a panel physician set by IRCC?
2. What tests are usually done in this case and how much would be the cost in US?
I think your's is similar to my case (this comment https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/medicals-for-express-entry-high-blood-pressure.510797/page-2#post-7065387)

I have posted the details on costs. I think the costs are very different based on what insurance you have and what kind of coverage you get. I think one thing you could try is, contact the location where you got the Medicals done, and ask them if you can get this done by a cardiologist in your state (since out of state it'll be out of network, hence cost more), or if they have any reference for a cardiologist in your state. Get an appointment from that cardiologist. It may cost less in that case.

But remember, you are getting the tests done out of your own, and not because your primary care physician suggested. So you may need to pay more or fully out of pocket.

Tests are generally prescribed by the cardiologist, so this means, you consult with meet him/her first, get tests done (mostly Echo Cardiogram, which is different from EKG/ECG - Electro Cardiogram). Once test results are sent to the doctor by the hospital/lab where the echo imaging is done, you may have to follow up in person, or if everything looks good, cardiologist gives a thumbs-up to your clinic, and the clinic will update/attach that to your report to IRCC.

ziszee

Oct 18, 2018
Sharing my experience so it may help others

I got my medicals done in NYC, and it costed me ~$340 for the initial checkup. blood pressure reading was way higher (at ~155/110) than my usual numbers (~145/~95). The doctor suggested a serum creatinine as an additional test to be conducted. Got it done

A few days later I got a call from this location that IRCC needs a NOC letter from a cardiologist because blood pressure is above what is acceptable. Consulted a cardiologist who did a check and suggested that I get an echo-cardiogram to rule out any issues that are not symptomatic right now (and existing since early childhood).

The echo cardiogram is very different from an ECG, the difference I realized only when setting up an appointment at a medical center in NJ. Its quite a pain to get this done since I have a decent health insurance, but was referred for these tests by a doctor based in NYC. The cost for Echo Cardiogram was ~$2000, which after my insurance deductible (and other usual American Insurance crap), I paid $700.

Once the Cardiologist reviewed the Echo Card., reports, he gave a thumbs up and I was informed so by the doctor's assistant. Confirmed with the NYC CIC Medical doctor if anything else is needed. Got a green light.

Submitted all my documents for the eAPR and my medicals cleared in the usual amount of time (12 days from AoR) in June.

Some other info that may help:
Family has a history hypertension
No diabetes
I dont smoke
very little alcohol consumption (1 or 2 drinks a month)
my BMI is usually between 27 - 28 (overwieght. Should be below 25)
I dont look overweight but I don't look super fit either. This usually makes it a little surprising for the doctors, since I don't look like someone who can have a high BP.

There's very little info out there about doing Medicals for Express Entry for those with high blood pressure. Hope this helps! (I'll add an update if this post requires any additional info)
Hi, did you get an appointment by a regular cardiologist or you were referred by the panel physician to one?

JaiCanada

Feb 9, 2018
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2018
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
Med's Done....
12-06-2018
Passport Req..
27-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
16-10-2018
LANDED..........
02-11-2018
Hi, did you get an appointment by a regular cardiologist or you were referred by the panel physician to one?
I live in NJ, and got my medicals done in NYC. went with the cardiologist who worked at the same location. Got echo done in NJ.

ziszee

Oct 18, 2018
I live in NJ, and got my medicals done in NYC. went with the cardiologist who worked at the same location. Got echo done in NJ.
Thanks a lot. But the panel physician said they can't refer me to a cardiologist since I don't live in that state (KY). So, in that case, I can get an appointment from any cardiologist in my state (OH)?

JaiCanada

Feb 9, 2018
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2018
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
Med's Done....
12-06-2018
Passport Req..
27-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
16-10-2018
LANDED..........
02-11-2018
Thanks a lot. But the panel physician said they can't refer me to a cardiologist since I don't live in that state (KY). So, in that case, I can get an appointment from any cardiologist in my state (OH)?
Ok. I think in that case you can ask the panel physician what specifically is needed from the cardiologist, and you can forward that request to a cardio in your state. For me the problem I didn't know what exactly to ask the cardiologist if I were to find one in NJ.

ziszee

Oct 18, 2018
Ok. I think in that case you can ask the panel physician what specifically is needed from the cardiologist, and you can forward that request to a cardio in your state. For me the problem I didn't know what exactly to ask the cardiologist if I were to find one in NJ.
Thanks. I will do that..:)

ziszee

Oct 18, 2018
Sharing my experience so it may help others

I got my medicals done in NYC, and it costed me ~$340 for the initial checkup. blood pressure reading was way higher (at ~155/110) than my usual numbers (~145/~95). The doctor suggested a serum creatinine as an additional test to be conducted. Got it done

A few days later I got a call from this location that IRCC needs a NOC letter from a cardiologist because blood pressure is above what is acceptable. Consulted a cardiologist who did a check and suggested that I get an echo-cardiogram to rule out any issues that are not symptomatic right now (and existing since early childhood).

The echo cardiogram is very different from an ECG, the difference I realized only when setting up an appointment at a medical center in NJ. Its quite a pain to get this done since I have a decent health insurance, but was referred for these tests by a doctor based in NYC. The cost for Echo Cardiogram was ~$2000, which after my insurance deductible (and other usual American Insurance crap), I paid $700.

Once the Cardiologist reviewed the Echo Card., reports, he gave a thumbs up and I was informed so by the doctor's assistant. Confirmed with the NYC CIC Medical doctor if anything else is needed. Got a green light.

Submitted all my documents for the eAPR and my medicals cleared in the usual amount of time (12 days from AoR) in June.

Some other info that may help:
Family has a history hypertension
No diabetes
I dont smoke
very little alcohol consumption (1 or 2 drinks a month)
my BMI is usually between 27 - 28 (overwieght. Should be below 25)
I dont look overweight but I don't look super fit either. This usually makes it a little surprising for the doctors, since I don't look like someone who can have a high BP.

There's very little info out there about doing Medicals for Express Entry for those with high blood pressure. Hope this helps! (I'll add an update if this post requires any additional info)
Hi,
I have similar case as you. Went to cardiologist got ekg done. Panel physician submitted the e- medical . Now my question is: do I need to mention visiting the cardiologist on my LOE while applying e-apr?

JaiCanada

Feb 9, 2018
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2018
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
Med's Done....
12-06-2018
Passport Req..
27-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
16-10-2018
LANDED..........
02-11-2018
Hi,
I have similar case as you. Went to cardiologist got ekg done. Panel physician submitted the e- medical . Now my question is: do I need to mention visiting the cardiologist on my LOE while applying e-apr?
I don’t know what should be done.

I didn’t mention on the loe, since I felt it’s up to the process to decide whether to ask more questions are not.

It’s up to you.

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
I don’t know what should be done.

I didn’t mention on the loe, since I felt it’s up to the process to decide whether to ask more questions are not.

It’s up to you.
Yep, you don't need to mention anything on the LoE. I had a similar case earlier this year, and I did not mention anything on the LoE after getting a 2D Echo done. IRCC will get all your information and if they need anything more, they'll get in touch (which I highly doubt they will). They are just trying to ascertain whether you are going to be a massive burden on their healthcare system, nothing else.