+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medicals expiring before travel - Study permit from India

Adi@911

Nov 17, 2021
Hello everyone,

Please help me here. My Medical is expiring on 24th November 2022 and my travel to Canada is scheduled on 8th December 2022. My passport is currently with VFS for stamping.

Please tell me when should I renew my medicals?

Should I wait till 24th to renew it?
Wait for IRCC to send any notification?
Or do an upfront medical in advance?

Please help me with your experience as the way forward is quite confusing for me.

@Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

Please help me here. My Medical is expiring on 24th November 2022 and my travel to Canada is scheduled on 8th December 2022. My passport is currently with VFS for stamping.

Please tell me when should I renew my medicals?

Should I wait till 24th to renew it?
Wait for IRCC to send any notification?
Or do an upfront medical in advance?

Please help me with your experience as the way forward is quite confusing for me.

@Naturgrl
If you can do upfront in advance then go ahead. If you are not entering Canada until the 8th, your study permit may be cancelled with an expired medical. Then when you go to the airport to travel, you find out it has expired and you can’t board. Others can comment.

Reactions: Adi@911

Adi@911

Nov 17, 2021
If you can do upfront in advance then go ahead. If you are not entering Canada until the 8th, your study permit may be cancelled with an expired medical. Then when you go to the airport to travel, you find out it has expired and you can’t board. Others can comment.

Thanks for your response.
I spoke with my agent about this, they asked me to wait till the current medicals expire and then immediately redo medicals and update the same through webform. This is to avoid 'confusing' IRCC with multiple medicals. I find thissolution a bit risky due to paucity of time between medical expiry and travel.

I also spoke with the CDC medical folks who conduct these medicals. They said to do it upfront and not wait till it expires as many do it beforehand.

Do both these above situations make any sense?

If I do it upfront, that is more than a month in advance, how do I notify IRCC about it? What if they still don't update it on GCKey as it at times take 2 months for medicals to update?