Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2015
So what is it all about then?
What are they checking?
what would actually make you unadmissible ailment wise?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Faolchu said:
So what is it all about then?
What are they checking?
what would actually make you unadmissible ailment wise?
What can make you inadmissible depends on the type of application. Are you submitting a spousal sponsorship application or a parent/grandparent application?

1Wayne1

Sep 26, 2015
Every applicant for a Canada Immigration Visa and some applicants for temporary status in Canada are required to undergo a medical examination by a medical officer.
Though medical examinations are generally confined to a standard physical exam including blood and urine tests and x-rays, prior medical records as well as the applicants' mental state are examined.

Applicants may be denied a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa solely on medical grounds, if:

Their condition would endanger the health or safety of the Canadian population at large; or
Their admission might cause excessive demand on existing social or health services provided by the government. *

When determining whether any person is inadmissible on medical grounds, the medical officer is obliged to consider the nature, severity or probable duration of any health impairment from which the person is suffering as well as other factors, such as:

Danger of contagion;
Unpredictable or unusual behaviour that may create a danger to public safety; and
The supply of social or health services that the person may require in Canada and whether the use of such services will deprive Canadian nationals of these services.

* The excessive demand component is waived under the Family Sponsorship category of Canada immigration for the spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner and dependent children of the Sponsor. The Sponsored person(s) still may be refused if their condition is considered to be a danger to Canadian public health or safety.

In certain circumstances, an individual who does not meet the Canadian medical requirements may be granted a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) to enter Canada.

For more information about Medical Inadmissibility, see our Medical Examinations FAQ. ( CIC website)

Finley

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
Doc's Request.
09-03-2016
AOR Received.
14-04-2016
File Transfer...
15-04-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-10-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
DM 17-05-16, CoPR 20-05-16
Hi all, I also have a question about the medical. I have read and been told to do the medical up front and before you send off the application so as not to slow it down. But when I rang the Panel Physicians office to make an appointment, they told me I needed to submit the application first and get an I.D number. Has anyone had any trouble like this or can anyone explain it?

I took this quote off of the Cic website.
"undergo a medical examination prior to submitting the application (results are valid for 12 months)"

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
Hello, I have a question too.

A couple weeks ago I tried to schedule my medical exam, but the only physician in my state is booked until after I get married and was planning on sending in my application. Could I send in the application first with a note explaining that the physician is booked for quite a while and I will send it when I can? If I send it when I get AOR1 would it cause any delays?

Faolchu

Star Member
Aug 3, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2015
scylla said:
What can make you inadmissible depends on the type of application. Are you submitting a spousal sponsorship application or a parent/grandparent application?
spousal application

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
1Wayne1 said:
Every applicant for a Canada Immigration Visa and some applicants for temporary status in Canada are required to undergo a medical examination by a medical officer.
Though medical examinations are generally confined to a standard physical exam including blood and urine tests and x-rays, prior medical records as well as the applicants' mental state are examined.

Applicants may be denied a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa solely on medical grounds, if:

Their condition would endanger the health or safety of the Canadian population at large; or
Their admission might cause excessive demand on existing social or health services provided by the government. *

When determining whether any person is inadmissible on medical grounds, the medical officer is obliged to consider the nature, severity or probable duration of any health impairment from which the person is suffering as well as other factors, such as:

Danger of contagion;
Unpredictable or unusual behaviour that may create a danger to public safety; and
The supply of social or health services that the person may require in Canada and whether the use of such services will deprive Canadian nationals of these services.

* The excessive demand component is waived under the Family Sponsorship category of Canada immigration for the spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner and dependent children of the Sponsor. The Sponsored person(s) still may be refused if their condition is considered to be a danger to Canadian public health or safety.

In certain circumstances, an individual who does not meet the Canadian medical requirements may be granted a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) to enter Canada.

For more information about Medical Inadmissibility, see our Medical Examinations FAQ. ( CIC website)
The fact that the excessive demand component is waived is very humane. Really shows what a great country Canada is and that it wants to keep families united.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Faolchu said:
spousal application
As long as the following does not apply to you, you should have no problem. "Their condition would endanger the health or safety of the Canadian population at large"

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Finley said:
Hi all, I also have a question about the medical. I have read and been told to do the medical up front and before you send off the application so as not to slow it down. But when I rang the Panel Physicians office to make an appointment, they told me I needed to submit the application first and get an I.D number. Has anyone had any trouble like this or can anyone explain it?

I took this quote off of the Cic website.
"undergo a medical examination prior to submitting the application (results are valid for 12 months)"
Are you applying inland or outland? If the former, you are not required to undergo an upfront medical and in that event you can postpone the medical until CIC asks you . In such a case CIC will when requiring you to submit to a medical exam send you a form IMM1017 which you must take with you to the medical. If you are applying outland you must undergo an upfront medical and in that case you do not need an ID number. The doctor will supply you with a form immediately after the medical which you must then enclose with your application when you submit to to Mississauga. That form will include the identification barcode CIC needs in order to identify your medical results. In the case of an outland application it is the doctor's function to supply that form. Not infrequently doctors and their staff get confused between the various categories of applicants for visas and give out incorrect information. If in your case they have got it wrong you have to argue your case. You can find all this info by googling 'CIC medical requirements for family class applicants'.

Finley

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
Doc's Request.
09-03-2016
AOR Received.
14-04-2016
File Transfer...
15-04-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-10-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
DM 17-05-16, CoPR 20-05-16
Thanks wowsers, that was helpful. I am applying outland from Ireland where the medical with chest x-ray will cost 350 euro thats about $500 or more. I am travelling to Canada after I send in the visa and I've read that you can get the medical over there for under $200. Wish it could wait til then.

HOTW

Mar 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7/10/2015
AOR Received.
27-11-2015
File Transfer...
08/12/15
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hubby lives in the US and on a visit went toa ciC dr here. It was 250 for the dr n about another 100 or so for the tests

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Finley said:
Thanks wowsers, that was helpful. I am applying outland from Ireland where the medical with chest x-ray will cost 350 euro thats about $500 or more. I am travelling to Canada after I send in the visa and I've read that you can get the medical over there for under $200. Wish it could wait til then.
I am from Wales but did my medical in Canada in April 2014. I see from my file that I paid the panel physician C$200 and a further fee of C$80 for an Xray. I think that was it: C$280, about half what you would have to pay in Ireland (and probably Wales as well). Before you decide what to do have a look back through the pages of the family sponsorship part of this website at the numerous threads concerned with medicals. You need not go back further than the beginning of the summer. You will find posts by one member who argues strongly that upfront medicals are not essential in outland application cases and I think that indeed some outland applicants nowadays get away with it. The worst that is likely to happen if you do not submit to a medical upfront is that your application may be returned to you as incomplete and so result in delay; but if that is not too much of a worry, that is a course you might follow if the issue is important enough to you.

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
I read on the Vienna thread that it mainly speeds up the process to do it upfront. You could consider going to Canada,having the medical done and send in the application after that. Of course I don't know your time frame but it sounded like you would be going to Canada shortly after sending in your application and in that case it might be worth doing it the other way around

CandyCane

Star Member
Sep 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also had a question for the medical. U.S. Spousal applying outland, are there any immunizations required to update or have/get before the medical exam? I was told Tdap, MMR, Chickenpox, and Flu shot. Then I was told I didn't need anything.