+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical: will past cancer make me inadmissible?

zerib

Jul 24, 2019
So I received my Invitation to Apply today and am excited! But also worried, because last year I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I got chemo and am in remission, and the doctors say the chance of recurrence is very low -- the treatment I got leads to a full cure in 95% of cases. Here are my questions:

Could my application be denied on the basis of medical inadmissibility? Even though I don't have cancer anymore, would the official deny me on the chance that it might come back?

At my medical exam, should I simply not tell the physician about this history? I'm not on any medications and it seems there's no way they could know. Or could they?

Thanks for your thoughts.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
So I received my Invitation to Apply today and am excited! But also worried, because last year I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I got chemo and am in remission, and the doctors say the chance of recurrence is very low -- the treatment I got leads to a full cure in 95% of cases. Here are my questions:

Could my application be denied on the basis of medical inadmissibility? Even though I don't have cancer anymore, would the official deny me on the chance that it might come back?

At my medical exam, should I simply not tell the physician about this history? I'm not on any medications and it seems there's no way they could know. Or could they?

One of the first and most important rules when dealing with IRCC is to be absolutely truthful. If you are not, a misrepresentation ban is 5 years.
I suspect that the medical examination will not result in inadmissibility anyway, so why risk it?

tarun_0790

Jul 6, 2018

Hey,
Even I am in the same boat. But in my case my treatment finished three years back. I too had Non Hodkins Lymphoma and i had a Bone Marrow Transplant. Do let me know what happened to your case? I am waiting.

Aspirant PR

Oct 1, 2020

I was also diagnosed with breast cancer and 1 year in remission and thinking of applying for PR. Did you get PR already?

Jo1984

Star Member
Jun 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi, just wanting to share my experience, in case it helps anyone here. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer 13 years ago. Luckily, I did not need any specific treatment other than regular follow-ups (my last follow-up took place 7 years ago).

I had my medical exam in August 2020 and, beforehand, I contacted my family physician, as well as all the hospitals where I have had my follow-ups throughout the years, in order to request any letters/correspondence they might have regarding my case. In the end, I managed to obtain about 5-6 letters referring to my follow-up results and next steps. I took all these letters to my medical exam, but the physician was only interested in the very last one, which he took a scan of and uploaded to my online record.

I heard from IRCC 3 weeks after my application was submitted, to say that my medicals have been passed :)

I think it's important to be truthful (there is a question on the application form asking if you've ever suffered from a serious disease, so it's practically impossible to keep this from them without lying) and make sure you have paperwork from your doctors to support the information you are giving. If you do not have any paperwork, IRCC will ask for it, so best to have it from the beginning.

There is no illness that would automatically make you inadmissible, it's all on a case by case basis. If your prognosis is good and you can prove it, it's unlikely they will reject you.

Reactions: rajat.tiwari

Aspirant PR

Oct 1, 2020
Hi, just wanting to share my experience, in case it helps anyone here. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer 13 years ago. Luckily, I did not need any specific treatment other than regular follow-ups (my last follow-up took place 7 years ago).

I had my medical exam in August 2020 and, beforehand, I contacted my family physician, as well as all the hospitals where I have had my follow-ups throughout the years, in order to request any letters/correspondence they might have regarding my case. In the end, I managed to obtain about 5-6 letters referring to my follow-up results and next steps. I took all these letters to my medical exam, but the physician was only interested in the very last one, which he took a scan of and uploaded to my online record.

I heard from IRCC 3 weeks after my application was submitted, to say that my medicals have been passed :)

I think it's important to be truthful (there is a question on the application form asking if you've ever suffered from a serious disease, so it's practically impossible to keep this from them without lying) and make sure you have paperwork from your doctors to support the information you are giving. If you do not have any paperwork, IRCC will ask for it, so best to have it from the beginning.

There is no illness that would automatically make you inadmissible, it's all on a case by case basis. If your prognosis is good and you can prove it, it's unlikely they will reject you.
Thanks for this. You're an inspiration. However, you have a big chance of passing the medical because your cancer diagnosis was 13 years ago. I was diagnosed of stage 3 breast cancer while on a study visa in Canada 1 year ago. I'm thinking if I should come back and finish the remaining 1.5 semesters then apply for FSW or CEC after graduation but my problem is I'm only 1 year in remission and I'm already 30 so every year I will be deducted 5 points. I'm fit now and declared clear and No Evidence of Disease. Do you think the immigration would consider my case as medical inadmissibility? Thanks.

Jo1984

Star Member
Jun 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Thanks for this. You're an inspiration. However, you have a big chance of passing the medical because your cancer diagnosis was 13 years ago. I was diagnosed of stage 3 breast cancer while on a study visa in Canada 1 year ago. I'm thinking if I should come back and finish the remaining 1.5 semesters then apply for FSW or CEC after graduation but my problem is I'm only 1 year in remission and I'm already 30 so every year I will be deducted 5 points. I'm fit now and declared clear and No Evidence of Disease. Do you think the immigration would consider my case as medical inadmissibility? Thanks.
Hi, thank you for replying :) I think it will be useful for you to read the Canadian Panel Member Guide to Medical Examinations (basically the guidance for physicians conducting medical exams for Canada), if you haven't already:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/panel-members-guide.html#sec1.5.10.1

You will see that, in the case of a cancer diagnosis within the past 5 years, they require an oncologist report. From what I have read on other forums, they are particularly interested in your exact diagnosis, treatment details and prognosis for the next 5 years or so. The more detail the report can provide, the better.

Having had a cancer diagnosis within the past 5 years does not automatically make you inadmissible. It all depends on your specific case and your prognosis. If the evidence shows that you are unlikely to put too much pressure on the healthcare system, then it is likely that you will pass. I certainly came across posts from people in very similar situations to yourself, on various forums, who passed their medical exam.

I am not an immigration adviser but, if you want my personal opinion, I would say it's better to go ahead with your application. Gather your documents and apply, if this is what you would like to do.

Hope this helps a little. Feel free to send me a private message if you want to offload every now and then. I know our situations are not exactly the same, but I've got a pretty good idea of what you're going through and am happy to listen if you just require some informal advice or are feeling anxious about things :)

Aspirant PR

Oct 1, 2020
Hi, thank you for replying :) I think it will be useful for you to read the Canadian Panel Member Guide to Medical Examinations (basically the guidance for physicians conducting medical exams for Canada), if you haven't already:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/panel-members-guide.html#sec1.5.10.1

You will see that, in the case of a cancer diagnosis within the past 5 years, they require an oncologist report. From what I have read on other forums, they are particularly interested in your exact diagnosis, treatment details and prognosis for the next 5 years or so. The more detail the report can provide, the better.

Having had a cancer diagnosis within the past 5 years does not automatically make you inadmissible. It all depends on your specific case and your prognosis. If the evidence shows that you are unlikely to put too much pressure on the healthcare system, then it is likely that you will pass. I certainly came across posts from people in very similar situations to yourself, on various forums, who passed their medical exam.

I am not an immigration adviser but, if you want my personal opinion, I would say it's better to go ahead with your application. Gather your documents and apply, if this is what you would like to do.

Hope this helps a little. Feel free to send me a private message if you want to offload every now and then. I know our situations are not exactly the same, but I've got a pretty good idea of what you're going through and am happy to listen if you just require some informal advice or are feeling anxious about things :)
Thank you so much! Where can I reach you? Do you have WhatsApp?

Have you read about someone who is only 1 year in remission from cancer and applied for PR and his medical was approved? Thank you for replying. It's a big help for me because I don't know what to do.

Chipo21

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
App. Filed.......
26-08-2018
I was diagnosed with a sarcoma in January 2018 and my AOR was Aug 2018. Had to disclose it for my medical and they required a report from my oncologist. They set out what they require. They said I wouldn't exceed the threshold and passed my medicals

jrossi

Jan 13, 2020
Guys, what about the proof of these past diseases?
I mean, once you do your upfront exam, you should deliver to the doctor previous blood exams, medical reports, and so on. Will the doctor upload these proofs in your eMedical profile? Or we should upload all these evidences, together with the eMedical information sheet, in our application?

Chipo21

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
App. Filed.......
26-08-2018
I mean, once you do your upfront exam, you should deliver to the doctor previous blood exams, medical reports, and so on. Will the doctor upload these proofs in your eMedical profile? Or we should upload all these evidences, together with the eMedical information sheet, in our application?
Was uploaded to eMedical directly. They then have their own medical experts evaluate

Reactions: jrossi

Jo1984

Star Member
Jun 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
The doctor will upload anything they consider relevant. All you need to upload to your application is the form you are given as proof that you completed your medical exam.

Reactions: jrossi

kimlopez

Apr 1, 2021
Hi Guys! I am on the boat. Hope someone could help me. I was born with heart condition but no longer taking any medication since 7 years old. I am now 27 years old. I don't have any medical records since my mom died when I was in Highschool. I don't know anything about my heart condition but I declared it on my medical exam believinh I should be truthful with all my records. Do you think IRCC will ask for medical history report etc? I am so worried. Hope someone could help me.