+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical - Upfront or wait? And location, home country or anywhere?

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
2173 Software engineers and designers
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
06/2016 (Not exact for security)
LANDED..........
07/2016 (Not exact for security)
As the title says, trying to work out if its better to do an upfront medical or wait till CIC ask for it.
At first I thought waiting for CIC might be better, as some medical centres have said depending on the country and person, you might not need a full medical. But it seems for Canada its likely its the full medical regardless?

Then researching it, some on the forum in older posts say doing upfront is quicker for your application, one person said this is actually on the CIC site, but I cannot find anywhere that CIC say upfront is recommended/faster.

Second question: Does it matter where you do your medical? As I am from the UK, I figured it made sense to do it in the UK. BUT, can I actually do it in Canada?
I'm heading to Vancouver over Christmas, so I could do it there? I checked the prices, and for one centre in Vancouver it was $300 CAD (£145 GBP) compared to £285 in the centre I was enquiring at in the UK. Sounds like a great saving if its possible.

Any thoughts? Can I do the medical anywhere? Or does it have to be home country?

P.s. have already received my ITA. So the upfront medical wont expire before I submit my application. No worries there.

P.P.S. Third question. My consultant is aiming to submit my application this week, but if im going down upfront medical route, doesnt that mean I need to get the medical report results BACK before I submit? I wont be able to do the medical till later this week, so that doesn't make sense, surely it will take at least another week to get the results?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
under EE, CIC don't ask for the medical at a later date. Once you get an ITA, the medical sheet you get from the doctor when you do your upfront medical needs to be submitted with all the rest of your docs. So your consultant won't be able to submit your application until you do the medical. You don't need the results, just the sheet from the doc confirming you did it and when. the results are electronically submitted to CIC.
Can do it at any panel physician, just need to pay cash & bring your passport & photos

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
2173 Software engineers and designers
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
06/2016 (Not exact for security)
LANDED..........
07/2016 (Not exact for security)
purplesnow said:
under EE, CIC don't ask for the medical at a later date. Once you get an ITA, the medical sheet you get from the doctor when you do your upfront medical needs to be submitted with all the rest of your docs. So your consultant won't be able to submit your application until you do the medical. You don't need the results, just the sheet from the doc confirming you did it and when. the results are electronically submitted to CIC.
Can do it at any panel physician, just need to pay cash & bring your passport & photos
Thanks Purplesnow, that clears it up nicely. So in that case I will:-

• 1. Book the medical in Vancouver if dates allow while I am there, as its much cheaper.
  • 2. Submit application as soon as I have the confirmation that I did the medical.

Interesting that he wanted to submit the application before I left for Canada this week, as there seems to be no rush if I have to wait till I get to Vancouver in order to get the confirmation needed.

Andre_Smol

Dec 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
FSW Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Nomination.....
18-09-2015
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
06-11-2015
Passport Req..
07-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2016
I did my medical exam before receiving my ITA and ai am happy I went that route.

With all the other paperwork and the waiting period on getting an appointment, it felt good to have it all ready by the time I did get my ITA. That way there was mothing else to get done afterwards as far as the medicals were concerned.