+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical: Type 1 Diabetes (my experience)

SheriffWho

Jul 3, 2017
I just thought I’d share this for anyone else who may be in a similar situation as me. I am currently in the process of EE/PR and my biggest fear was failing medical exam - due to being type 1 diabetic.

First off, they do not test for it. But they do ask in questionnaire- yes, be honest!

And if you indicate it in the questionnaire, all they do is run an extra blood test. This is not a hemoglobin test, it is more to look at renal function.

Long story short, if you manage your condition - you have nothing to fear.

I passed medicals with no issue.

Hope that is useful to some folks here.

Reactions: DiploPR and mau123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I just thought I’d share this for anyone else who may be in a similar situation as me. I am currently in the process of EE/PR and my biggest fear was failing medical exam - due to being type 1 diabetic.

First off, they do not test for it. But they do ask in questionnaire- yes, be honest!

And if you indicate it in the questionnaire, all they do is run an extra blood test. This is not a hemoglobin test, it is more to look at renal function.

Did you inform your panel physician about your insulin use? The cost of insulin and various diabetic supplies can be very expensive in Canada. Most of Canada doesn’t have a national pharmacare program so if you don’t have a job with extended benefits your medical costs will be quite high.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Would really depend on everyone’s personal medical history. Do you use personal sugar monitoring devices that get changed weekly? do you have an insulin pump? how much insulin do you use? do you have any comorbid conditions? These will all factor into the decision. One should also look at the costs they will have to pay themselves if they are not arriving with a job with extended benefits. Hiding medical diagnoses is misrepresentation. The panel physician can’t test for every disease known to man so you are asked to be honest even if you are not asked directly whether you have diabetes (or other disease).

SheriffWho

Jul 3, 2017
Again... if you have type 1 diabetes and no significant complications as a result (it is under control) you got nothing to worry about. This is coming from boots on the ground experience, not opinion.

If, on the other hand, you have serious other health issues due to the T1D, it could be a different experience.

Cheers!

SheriffWho

Jul 3, 2017
Hiding medical diagnoses is misrepresentation. The panel physician can’t test for every disease known to man so you are asked to be honest even if you are not asked directly whether you have diabetes (or other disease).
Good thing my original post explicitly said to be honest...

Last edited:

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other

Its good to hear this. One question, how much was ur hba1c when u tested if u recall. Mine is 7.2 in recent lab test so worried.. Apart from that i dont know any complications etc..
In PR application form there is a question "Do u had any serious disease or physical or mental disorder?" I am not sure what should we answer for Diabetes if its well controlled.?? Please guide. thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Its good to hear this. One question, how much was ur hba1c when u tested if u recall. Mine is 7.2 in recent lab test so worried.. Apart from that i dont know any complications etc..
In PR application form there is a question "Do u had any serious disease or physical or mental disorder?" I am not sure what should we answer for Diabetes if its well controlled.?? Please guide. thanks
Yes you should. 7.2 is only very slightly high so it won’t be an issue. Yes you should be honest about your diabetes.

@rahulrajput

Aug 29, 2020
I am 29 years old and suffering from type 1 diabetes from the last 8 years, I am planning to apply for Canadian PR but my report of HBA1C is 12 and diabetic is not in control range but my all organs are fine including kidney, heart, and eye too. I am taking insulin and trying to control the diabetic range. Am I eligible to get Canadian PR? Please suggest me with logic. Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am 29 years old and suffering from type 1 diabetes from the last 8 years, I am planning to apply for Canadian PR but my report of HBA1C is 12 and diabetic is not in control range but my all organs are fine including kidney, heart, and eye too. I am taking insulin and trying to control the diabetic range. Am I eligible to get Canadian PR? Please suggest me with logic. Thank you
Would really try to get your diabetes under control before you apply. Costs for brittle diabetics tends to be higher because they tend to need hospitalization and ambulance calls more frequently. You are quite young and have only been a diabetic for a short time so if you don’t get your diabetes under control you will eventually start getting side effects. Canada doesn‘t have a national pharmacare program so being a diabetic can be very costly unless you find a job that provides extended healthcare benefits.

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
I won't care for PR first. For sake of your own health no matter which country you are, contol ur diabetes. 12 is pretty high.. Do extra effort to control it right now. Take Karela+Cucumber+Tomato juice in monring empty stomach for a week and measure ur readings. To me, it was very helpful when i tried same in 2017 time. Above all, be active. Don't take this 12 lightly and wait for some complication to arise. Stand up and move yourself atleast 5kms a day and have nutritious sugarless unprocessed food as much as possible. Take care

DiploPR

Star Member
Nov 23, 2020

Thank you so much for sharing this! I’m a type 1 and this was my biggest fear!

Reactions: Mansi N Patel

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for sharing this! I’m a type 1 and this was my biggest fear!
I really depends a lot more about your diabetes. What amount of insulin you are on, whether you are a brittle diabetic, if so how many time have you ended up in hospital, your renal function is very important. Even if accepted you will need to look at the expenses involved in diabetes care in Canada. If you don’t have extended medical benefits through work treating diabetes can be very expensive. The prprovince often doesn’t cover diabetes supplies like testing strips, Meters, etc. There are families in Canada who struggle to pay diabetes costs. It is not as expensive as in the US but more expensive than most other countries.

DiploPR

Star Member
Nov 23, 2020
I live in Canada 4 years already, and I have health benefits. My A1C is 6,5, so ai hope there wont be problems…