+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Psychiatric Report Requested

SeniorSpouse

Star Member
May 8, 2018
I've been notified by my Canada Immigration panel physician that he has been requested to provide a psychiatrist report for my Immigration Medical exam. It is an inland permanent residence application family sponsorship, my spouse is Canadian I am a US citizen.
The panel physician has notified me that he will not be able to find or refer me to a qualified psychiatrist who will see me. He basically said I'm on my own and will need to find someone qualified to provide a report.
Has anyone been in this situation before and how did you proceed. I don't even know what qualifications are required or what kind of report. I am currently a visitor and need to pay cash if I can find someone qualified who will accept cash.
Most evaluation services are for the purpose of diagnoses and treatment. I've never seen a psychiatrist before and the only reason I'm being referred is because I take an SSRI prescribed by my MD for a non-specific anxiety .

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
This seems unusual. I was taking an SSRI at the time of my medical and did not need any sort of psychiatric eval.

I am pretty sure it is the panel physician's responsibility to report this kind of information (patient's mental health status as it relates to threat to public safety - that's why they care about mental illness, even for sponsored spouses). I'm not even sure if IRCC would accept a report from a psychiatrist who isn't a panel physician?

SeniorSpouse

Star Member
May 8, 2018
What's even more strange is that this is a furtherance request from the RMD office in Manilla. Apparently my medical was reviewed by Manilla as part of the effort to balance the workload.
I'm still not sure what they're looking for.

SeniorSpouse

Star Member
May 8, 2018
This was finally resolved in September after we contacted our MP due to the delay in our July 2017 application. The soonest that we were able to see a psychiatrist in Ontario would have been October. The MP got the VO to accept a letter from my long term physician in the US addressing threat to public safety in lieu of a psychiatrist report. Likely the reason it was requested is because the panel physician treated the medical as an upfront medical and it was coded Non-EDE. It should have been an Initial Medical Exam (IME) and coded EDE. The difference is that Non-EDE considers long term cost of treatment, EDE is exempt from that consideration. Finally back on track received decision made on September 12th still awaiting landing appointment / PPR e-mail. Hopefully it will come soon.

DaisyDaffodil87

Mar 30, 2018
Hello there, Im just curious about your situation. Did you tell the panel physician that your taking SSRI? or they just knw it thru medical result?

rayat137

Jun 16, 2019
I've been notified by my Canada Immigration panel physician that he has been requested to provide a psychiatrist report for my Immigration Medical exam. It is an inland permanent residence application family sponsorship, my spouse is Canadian I am a US citizen.
The panel physician has notified me that he will not be able to find or refer me to a qualified psychiatrist who will see me. He basically said I'm on my own and will need to find someone qualified to provide a report.
Has anyone been in this situation before and how did you proceed. I don't even know what qualifications are required or what kind of report. I am currently a visitor and need to pay cash if I can find someone qualified who will accept cash.
Most evaluation services are for the purpose of diagnoses and treatment. I've never seen a psychiatrist before and the only reason I'm being referred is because I take an SSRI prescribed by my MD for a non-specific anxiety .
How did you answer the statutory question: Do you have any serious illness or physical or mental disorder?