+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Laboratory Technologist (NOC 3211) Technician (NOC 3212)

rodskikun

Jul 10, 2013
Hi everyone, i'm new here in the forum. Currently close to completion on my papers to apply for NOC 3211. Post your question and opinions regarding the profession to network with our colleagues. This is the first time Medtechs have been included in FSWP so information is scarce. What's next when you reach canada? What are the steps to become a certified medical technologist? any ideas on how long it will take and how much we should spend to get certified. Is CSMLS tougher than AMT or comparable to ASCP in terms of difficulty?

I'm sure you guys can come up with more interesting questions.

crystalviolet

Jul 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
Nomination.....
08-10-2013
IELTS Request
25-05-2013
LANDED..........
2014!
rodskikun said:
Hi everyone, i'm new here in the forum. Currently close to completion on my papers to apply for NOC 3211. Post your question and opinions regarding the profession to network with our colleagues. This is the first time Medtechs have been included in FSWP so information is scarce. What's next when you reach canada? What are the steps to become a certified medical technologist? any ideas on how long it will take and how much we should spend to get certified. Is CSMLS tougher than AMT or comparable to ASCP in terms of difficulty?

I'm sure you guys can come up with more interesting questions.
here are some observations from the PLA handbook of CSLMS.

If you compare this to Visa screen certification in the USA, you will notice a lot of differences.
1. 1000$ just for the assessment (540$ only for Visa screen)
2. aside from Transcript, detailed reference from employers are also needed
3. after assessment only then will they decide if you need a refresher course or repeat the whole thing
4. Histopathology is included in the CSMLS exam
5. Aside from CSMLS other provinces also require a Provicial Certification before you can practice

Very challenging path is a head of us.

rodskikun

Jul 10, 2013
hey nice username crystal violet, i see that we are kababayans. My lacking in experience in histopathology worries me. Anyhow, how detailed should a detailed job description be? I'm sure ours is a very long list. I created one myself and had it verified by our head medtech to be submitted to FSWP. ill share my list if later perhaps after editing a few personal info. I am really looking into Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) and the expenses involved.
do you guys think there is still a chance that the cap is not filled yet at this point?

crystalviolet

Jul 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
Nomination.....
08-10-2013
IELTS Request
25-05-2013
LANDED..........
2014!
rodskikun said:
hey nice username crystal violet, i see that we are kababayans. My lacking in experience in histopathology worries me. Anyhow, how detailed should a detailed job description be? I'm sure ours is a very long list. I created one myself and had it verified by our head medtech to be submitted to FSWP. ill share my list if later perhaps after editing a few personal info. I am really looking into Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) and the expenses involved.
do you guys think there is still a chance that the cap is not filled yet at this point?
you need to put the machines you've handled, department rotation, test performed, frequency of testing (daily,weekly), no. of samples on a weekly basis.
for some reasons links are not allowed to be posted here. anyway just search prior learning assessment CSMLS on google. good luck on your application and don't forget to add your details to the spreadsheet on the other forum fsw 2013. 9 med techs are currently on the spreadsheet, but for sure there's more out there. so submit your documents soon.

rodskikun

Jul 10, 2013
crystalviolet said:
you need to put the machines you've handled, department rotation, test performed, frequency of testing (daily,weekly), no. of samples on a weekly basis.
for some reasons links are not allowed to be posted here. anyway just search prior learning assessment CSMLS on google. good luck on your application and don't forget to add your details to the spreadsheet on the other forum fsw 2013. 9 med techs are currently on the spreadsheet, but for sure there's more out there. so submit your documents soon.
Thank you. that helped a lot. Did you give a short description of each analyzer you listed? Is it OK to submit my details to the spreadsheet even though i still have not submitted my application to CIC?

crystalviolet

Jul 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
Nomination.....
08-10-2013
IELTS Request
25-05-2013
LANDED..........
2014!
meron ka na po bang wes? may i know what is the equivalent of your degree in Medical Technology?

rodskikun

Jul 10, 2013
crystalviolet said:
meron ka na po bang wes? may i know what is the equivalent of your degree in Medical Technology?
Yes I do have WES. Canadian Equivalence: 3 years Bachelors Degree.

crystalviolet

Jul 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
Nomination.....
08-10-2013
IELTS Request
25-05-2013
LANDED..........
2014!
rodskikun said:
Yes I do have WES. Canadian Equivalence: 3 years Bachelors Degree.
good for you, mine was only equivalent for two years. some of my co-workers even have 4 years credited.
when are you planning to submit? as soon as you do add your details in the spreadsheet. good luck on your application.

rodskikun

Jul 10, 2013
crystalviolet said:
good for you, mine was only equivalent for two years. some of my co-workers even have 4 years credited.
when are you planning to submit? as soon as you do add your details in the spreadsheet. good luck on your application.
I am actually ready to submit if my detailed job description and a copy of my work contract is sent to me by my previous employer. By the way, i hope this link would be useful for our fellow medtechs. The videos are especially interesting.
access.nscc.ca/cgi-bin/perl/MLT/model.pl

MMKGHOBRIAL

Mar 24, 2013
Dear Rodskikun,
Dear Crystalviolet,

May you please tell me the step by step procedure to apply for skilled worker immigration as a Medical Laboratory Technologist. Knowing that I am holding a Bachelor degree in Pharmaceutical sciences.

What are the documents required ?

Your help is sorely needed

Thank you.

crystalviolet

Jul 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
Nomination.....
08-10-2013
IELTS Request
25-05-2013
LANDED..........
2014!
MMKGHOBRIAL said:
Dear Rodskikun,
Dear Crystalviolet,

May you please tell me the step by step procedure to apply for skilled worker immigration as a Medical Laboratory Technologist. Knowing that I am holding a Bachelor degree in Pharmaceutical sciences.

What are the documents required ?

Your help is sorely needed

Thank you.
you have to make sure first that your job description matches NOC 3211. if it does, 67 points is required to apply. please check out this website www.cic.gc.ca

MMKGHOBRIAL

Mar 24, 2013
crystalviolet said:
you have to make sure first that your job description matches NOC 3211. if it does, 67 points is required to apply. please check out this website
Thank you for your reply,
I checked this website and
yes my job description matches that of NOC 3211.

Please I need a simplified step by step procedure of what should be done including the required documents.
Thanks.

metabolicum

Aug 18, 2013
Hi Everyone! I had my PLA report from CSMLS last April 2013 and they require me to finish my histo refresher course before 2015. :) Anyways, my documents for FSW (NOC 3211) were sent last week. Hopefully my application will be included in the CAP.

MMKGHOBRIAL

Mar 24, 2013
metabolicum said:
Hi Everyone! I had my PLA report from CSMLS last April 2013 and they require me to finish my histo refresher course before 2015. :) Anyways, my documents for FSW (NOC 3211) were sent last week. Hopefully my application will be included in the CAP.
I wanted to ask if I have to do anything with CSMLS before applying for the skilled worker immigration program ?

Thank you

metabolicum

Aug 18, 2013
CSMLS is a national certifying body for Med Tech. It is not required in FSW application but I prefer to finish my PLA (Prior Learning Assessment) since it takes almost half a year(in my experience) to have a technical report/eligibility to sit for MT exam.