+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical insurance needed at landing?

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Once I arrive in BC, my wife will be placing me on her BC Medical policy but it takes 3 months before I will be covered. Will BC or Canada require that I have medical insurance / active coverage at the time of my landing?

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
No, I don't think this is required. But for your own good you probably should. I looked into this as I will move to Ont and it will take 90 days before I have coverage. I got a quote (co-op) for $300 month which is not too bad (covers the "basics" - no dental, no vision). It was tailored for newcomers with approved medical exam. I have called hospitals also to get an understanding of what certain routine proceedures would cost if you are a legal PR with no health card (it's more if you are a visitor).

practitioner

Apr 19, 2008
hi RG,

i'm no authority on this but here's what i've heard and read: sometimes new canadians have trouble because they have no insurance, suddenly an accident, lose their life's savings; this tells us 2 things - if it's true - 1. yes you can get in without having insurance, and 2. it's better to have insurance!

consider, when insurance-shopping:
-make sure you're covered; tons of people pay for coverage but they've not read the fine print; Co-Op is a reputable company and 300/month is lower than if you bought insurance overseas e.g. in Asia that would cover you that long; i advise buy from Co-Op (or a competitor of your choice) but be careful about insurance procedures which usually work out like this:
1. does not cover pre-existing conditions (or only after a wait-period like 2 trouble-free years) so if you already know you'll need medical attention, be careful
2. tailored for newcomers? that's new to me; if it works, great; if a broker's telling you it's "tailored for newcomers" remember not all brokers read the fine print; even if you can do the medical exam in your origin-country, remember many canadian insurance companies require that you first be covered by Canadian health insurance, so they're really designed for Canadians who are just about to leave Canada after having resided there long enough to be covered; Canadian health insurance extensions are low-cost precisely because the companies know the government picks up most of the bill; even some international ones like World Nomads stipulates it won't cover Canadians unless they're first covered in Canada; so don't just ask a broker for an opinion, pin it down - get someone to read you or email you the fine print; sounds like you're on the right track but be careful

remember you have to reside in Canada 3 months to APPLY for health care coverage - no idea how long it takes before you're approved and covered

also some companies sell the right for emergency evacuation to the USA in case needed; canadian health care wait lists mean, depending where you live, you may not find a family doc willing to accept you for months, then when you do there are wait lists for surgery etc, i know of 1 man whose life was saved because he flew to the USA on his own dime and the insurance he bought in china covered him same as it would have in canada; in other words, if at all possible, try to get a policy that gives you that freedom - some overseas ones do, but cost more

best of luck
p

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
i just landed saturday and there was no question on wether or not i had insurance until i get ohip.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Medical insurance will be required if you will be employed right away or if you are a student. In other case it is just recommended since hospitalization price are relatively high if you are not insured.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
rgvinson777 said:
Once I arrive in BC, my wife will be placing me on her BC Medical policy but it takes 3 months before I will be covered. Will BC or Canada require that I have medical insurance / active coverage at the time of my landing?
Its actually remainder of the month + 2 months so if you would have landed on 30th May, your coverage would have started Aug 1 - but now it will start Sept 1 since you landed on May 31

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
user828 said:
Its actually remainder of the month + 2 months so if you would have landed on 30th May, your coverage would have started Aug 1 - but now it will start Sept 1 since you landed on May 31
Very nice of you to help but as this is a 2008 thread, I think OP has probably sussed it out by now. The previous poster, Steevy, seems to be resurrecting years old threads for some unknown reason.