+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Inadmissibility vs. Letter of Commitement

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
We have a Sponsorship application for my parents. My sister has some health issues that can cause medical inadmissibility issues due to excessive demand on the Canada health system.

I am not still sure that is an issue but just wonder if she is considered not medically admissible, is there an option for the parents to commit (by a LoC - Letter of Commitment) that they will be responsible for any possible treatment cost beyond the average Canadian cost?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Letters of commitment are useless since they cannot be legally enforced by Canada. Once someone is a PR, they are entitled to use the provincial health care system.

If you want to be successful with the application, you need to focus on proving that the care your sister requires falls below the $6,500 annual excessive demand threshold.

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
scylla said:
Letters of commitment are useless since they cannot be legally enforced by Canada. Once someone is a PR, they are entitled to use the provincial health care system.

If you want to be successful with the application, you need to focus on proving that the care your sister requires falls below the $6,500 annual excessive demand threshold.
Thanks for answering. I think I need a good attorney.

I wonder if a dependent child of a sponsor parent really needs to pass the excessive demand threshold. It says

"There are some limited exceptions. For instance, family members of accepted refugees, or dependent children of applicants who are being sponsored by their spouses/partners, are not subject to the “excessive demand” test."

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
bsz said:
I wonder if a dependent child of a sponsor parent really needs to pass the excessive demand threshold. It says

"There are some limited exceptions. For instance, family members of accepted refugees, or dependent children of applicants who are being sponsored by their spouses/partners, are not subject to the “excessive demand” test."
This exception does not apply to your case. You are sponsoring your parents, so you are the sponsor. Your parents are not sponsoring your sister, you are. So if you were sponsoring your spouse, who had a child from a previous relationship, that child could be sponsored by you and would be exempt from the excessive demand requirements.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bsz said:
Thanks for answering. I think I need a good attorney.

Yes - in your case the dependent child MUST pass the excessive threshold demand. Have you looked at the exception you posted? It doesn't apply to you.

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
Thanks. Do you know any good attorney experienced in this type of medical cases?

bsz

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
So I wonder if the dependent is rejected due to medical inadmissibility, does it reject the whole application including the parents?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes.

There are ways to get accepted even when one is found to be medically ineligible. For that, you will need a good immigration lawyer. What city are you living in?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
bsz said:
So I wonder if the dependent is rejected due to medical inadmissibility, does it reject the whole application including the parents?
Yes, for the simple reason that if this was not the case, the parents could bypass the excessive demand inadmissibility by sponsoring the daughter later, once they become permanent residents.

M

mikeymyke

The letter of committment wont do any good because its not a legally binding document, also who's to say youre not going to just simply go use the public health care system for free after you become broke paying for the medical expenses out of pocket?

I think even u yourself would admit that if you had to choose between paying or using the free health care as you are entitled to, you would just use the free health care anyway