+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exams for spouse and children and other questions

Kay-AB

Jun 1, 2010
I have worked in Alberta since Apr 2010 as a cook. My family (wife and two children) just arrived from Korea in December 2010.

Before they came here, I mailed them my work permit copy, but CBSA at Vancouver stamped them as a regular tourist and not as my dependent. I have a few questions:
1. Can my daughter (2nd grader) attend public school as a dependent of work permit holder?
2. Are they required to get a medical exam? If so, when and how should they get it?

I am extending my work permit in March, and am thinking about adding them as my dependent under my application then. Is that okay? I hope they don't have to leave the country and return.

Thank you in advance,
K from AB

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They shouldn't have to leave the country. Is their TRV only valid for 6 months? If you send a TRV extension application to Vegreville along with a copy of your work permit, they should get a TRV valid until your work permit expires. You should be able to enrol your daughter in school. Talk to your neighbourhood school about that. You can also send in an application for an open work permit for your wife. As the wife of a skilled temporary worker, she can get an open work permit.

You could also do all this at the border by going to the border, going to the US and returning to Canada again. Then it would be best that you all go together so you can show your work permit at the border.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
They shouldn't have to leave the country. Is their TRV only valid for 6 months? If you send a TRV extension application to Vegreville along with a copy of your work permit, they should get a TRV valid until your work permit expires. You should be able to enrol your daughter in school. Talk to your neighbourhood school about that. You can also send in an application for an open work permit for your wife. As the wife of a skilled temporary worker, she can get an open work permit.

You could also do all this at the border by going to the border, going to the US and returning to Canada again. Then it would be best that you all go together so you can show your work permit at the border.
As the spouse and children are from Korea, they will require a medical before any extension. The spouse is only eligible for a work permit if the his/her spouse's job is A,B or O in the NOC. As they require medicals, they can't get an extension at the border.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The spouse is a cook so skill level B.

Could they not have the medical before going to the border?

Kay-AB

Jun 1, 2010
Thank you both Leon and PMM for your advice.

Can I include them in my work permit extension as an open work permit (wife) and visitors (children)?
I am planning to have them do the medical before we apply for the work permit.

In this case, can I apply to Vegreville and not go to the border?
Thank you,

K

pps

Jun 1, 2010
Hi kay-b, Leon and PMM,

I read your post and reply and I almost have same problem but different situation.. My spouse is also a cook and i have an application for OWP however, they didnt process my application here and instead they advise me to exit and process it outside because i just lost status already and i didnt apply work permit before and my 90 days expires.. Our baby was born here and its really hard that if I will exit I needed to bring him with me so his dad can work.. Maybe you have an idea or help me what could be the other option or what do i need to do..also, Do u have an idea how long is the processing outside the country?

Thanks so much!!

pps

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kay-AB said:
Thank you both Leon and PMM for your advice.

Can I include them in my work permit extension as an open work permit (wife) and visitors (children)?
I am planning to have them do the medical before we apply for the work permit.

In this case, can I apply to Vegreville and not go to the border?
Thank you,

K
I would use a change of status form for each of them and you fill out your own form but you can send them all together in one package if that is what you mean. You can send them to Vegreville, no need to go to the border.