+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Examinations - before or after the application?

riko12

May 6, 2013
Hello there, I need some advice regarding the medical application for in-land common-law sponsor permanent residency application!

I've been googling all around, asking people around about whether I should do the medical examination BEFORE I send my application package, or AFTER I send my application package/get a notice from the immigration officer that I should submit one. There seems to be people sending the medical examination with the full application package so I checked on the CIC website regarding this issue and it does state that including the medical examination results upfront will reduce the processing time, etc. However, I just called one of the medical examination offices (as I was calling around to ask for prices, etc) and one of the receptionist told me that it is better to do one AFTER the application package is sent - when the officer actually asks you to submit the medical examination - so that my results can be attached to a file number and not get lost as opposed to sending it up-front with out any file number issued to me and increase the chance of my results being lost some where on this planet!

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could confirm this issue with me - whether I should do it BEFORE submitting my full application package or AFTER I get a notice from the immigration officer that I have to submit one.

P.S: I did call the CIC call centre and they were super unhelpful... She asked me what the document checklist stated and I read out the line for the document check list which was "Proof of medical examination (if you do not hold a valid Medical Report, instructions will be given to you when you receive your notice of eligibility)", then she goes "There you go, there is your answer."..... Then why are people doing it beforehand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

starter2

May 4, 2013
It depends where are you applying from. All applicants have to also fill in additional forms according to their regions, for example, if you are from eastern Europe, then everything regarding medical applications is in those forms for that region. The generic forms for all applicants do not have instructions for medical examinations as far as i remember. Also, you have to print a page from the "region specific forms" and bring it with you so that the doctor can sign it after you are done medicals.

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
Reply: Medical Examinations - before or after the application?

riko12 said:
Hello there, I need some advice regarding the medical application for in-land common-law sponsor permanent residency application!

I've been googling all around, asking people around about whether I should do the medical examination BEFORE I send my application package, or AFTER I send my application package/get a notice from the immigration officer that I should submit one. There seems to be people sending the medical examination with the full application package so I checked on the CIC website regarding this issue and it does state that including the medical examination results upfront will reduce the processing time, etc. However, I just called one of the medical examination offices (as I was calling around to ask for prices, etc) and one of the receptionist told me that it is better to do one AFTER the application package is sent - when the officer actually asks you to submit the medical examination - so that my results can be attached to a file number and not get lost as opposed to sending it up-front with out any file number issued to me and increase the chance of my results being lost some where on this planet!

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could confirm this issue with me - whether I should do it BEFORE submitting my full application package or AFTER I get a notice from the immigration officer that I have to submit one.

P.S: I did call the CIC call centre and they were super unhelpful... She asked me what the document checklist stated and I read out the line for the document check list which was "Proof of medical examination (if you do not hold a valid Medical Report, instructions will be given to you when you receive your notice of eligibility)", then she goes "There you go, there is your answer."..... Then why are people doing it beforehand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
lol....you are being very kind and generous to call CIC "super-unhelpful". :) I strongly recommend you do the medical and include it with your application. Anything you can do to ensure the process is not delayed is a very good thing. They have a new process for the medicals now and I believe that an electronic copy of the medical info. gets sent to CIC and this is helping to reduce the loss of medical file results.

In addition, CIC can now request an extension of the medical results if the processing time on the application exceeds a 12 month time frame (and it is no cost to the applicant). My application included the medicals and as soon as I was approved as sponsor it also showed on ecas that my husband's medical results were received. One lesss thing to worry about. I also suggest you pay all the fees upfront and online if you can, again another way to ensure your package is as complete as possible. Although CIC has improved some of their processes, it is always better to minimize the amount of work they have to initiate on your file. Blessings.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I agree with CdnandTrini. You can atleast avoid delays in your application from your side by sending your medicals along with your application until unless your VO's processing time is not 20+ months.
And now CIC has something which can extend your medicals which is very good thing (less financial burden on the applicant)

riko12

May 6, 2013
Thanks so much for the help!

My police certificate from another country is nearing its expiry date, so I might have to send it first depending on when I can get my appointment with the medical examination :-/ But I will definitely include it with the full package application if I can!