+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Examination in US

jaydoshi3292

Aug 2, 2018
I am sending my original passport for PCC through mail and I will get it back after a month. Do you guys know if I require my original passport for medical exam?

Does anyone know if insurance or FSA will cover cost of examination?

ishangodbole

Feb 26, 2018
I am sending my original passport for PCC through mail and I will get it back after a month. Do you guys know if I require my original passport for medical exam?

Yes. I did my medical in the morning and applied for PCC in the afternoon. Insurance won't cover cost of medical exam. I am not sure why they'd keep your passport for a month though. I got my PCC in two days.

sam.m

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018

I would suggest, if possible, to visit the embassy / consulate and apply for PCC. I did mine at Atlanta, they said I can collect my passport after a week even if my PCC is not ready. What embassy / consulate are you applying for PCC?

For medical exam you need original passport. They should accept FSA card, at least mine did.

jaydoshi3292

Aug 2, 2018
Thank you for replies.

I am applying to SF consulate and it's a 4 hours drive to the embassy from where I live. Submitting in person and collecting after a week can be very troublesome for me. Do people at medical exam center accept photocopy of passport?

I don't have ITA yet but I have a score of 446 and I am hopeful. I am just trying to start the process earlier but I don't want to start with medical.

sam.m

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
I don't think they accept photocopy. Although, you can call them and ask.

You can ask the embassy if they can ship back the passport sooner, even if PCC is not complete.

jaydoshi3292

Aug 2, 2018
Yes. I did my medical in the morning and applied for PCC in the afternoon. Insurance won't cover cost of medical exam. I am not sure why they'd keep your passport for a month though. I got my PCC in two days.
My passport was issued in India. They have to obtain confirmation for Indian passport office before they issue PCC. I know, it's just a drag

sam.m

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
My passport was issued in India. They have to obtain confirmation for Indian passport office before they issue PCC. I know, it's just a drag
Well, they say that. The lady at Atlanta embassy told me the same thing. Additionally, she said they have to do that if needed. I received my PCC in two days as well.

Medical is a safe bet to start first (without ITA) as it is valid for a year.

Last edited:

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
Thank you for replies.

I am applying to SF consulate and it's a 4 hours drive to the embassy from where I live. Submitting in person and collecting after a week can be very troublesome for me. Do people at medical exam center accept photocopy of passport?

I don't have ITA yet but I have a score of 446 and I am hopeful. I am just trying to start the process earlier but I don't want to start with medical.
Since you're getting it from SF - yes its gonna take 30 days from the date that they cash your money order. if you go in person to show the passport you can get it back on the very same day and they'll send your PCC when it is ready, but if you're not going in person you have no choice but to send them your application along with your original passport.
About medicals : passports are to be carried with, it is mandatory so there's no alternative to that.
but since you're waiting for an ITA, I'd say you are on the right track in terms of planning ahead and should continue with your plans.