+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical examination for dependents

aliasaid

Mar 10, 2015
Hello everyone,

I'm a Canadian citizen and I have 2 children who are also Canadian citizens. I would like to sponsor my wife. We are all living outside Canada. In the application, it mentions that all family members need to complete the medical exam. Do my children also need to do the medical the exam? Even though they are already citizens? I'm guessing the answer is no, but its not entirely clear.

Also, for my wife's family (brothers, sisters, parents), are they also required to do the medical exam?

Thanks everyone for your help.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
From CIC:

Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.

If the children are already Canadian citizens, they do not need to undergo medicals.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Only your wife gets a medical in this situation. 'Family members' are defined by CIC, and do not include aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. The spouse and children are already Canadian citizens, so do not need to get the medical exam.

Defend

Feb 9, 2022
Hi there!
I'm in the same situation: I'm sponsoring my spouse and we have 2 children that are already Canadian citizen. Children were mentioned in the sponsorship application as dependents cause it's written that needed to add ALL of the dependents. Also was mentioned that they are already Canadians and confirmation documents applied.
Today's morning my spouse received a medical exam request and both children also received such request. Is it OK? Canadians that are dependents of sponsored person need to pass a medical exam?..
If not, what should I do? Pass the medical exam for children anyway?..

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi there!
I'm in the same situation: I'm sponsoring my spouse and we have 2 children that are already Canadian citizen. Children were mentioned in the sponsorship application as dependents cause it's written that needed to add ALL of the dependents. Also was mentioned that they are already Canadians and confirmation documents applied.
Today's morning my spouse received a medical exam request and both children also received such request. Is it OK? Canadians that are dependents of sponsored person need to pass a medical exam?..
If not, what should I do? Pass the medical exam for children anyway?..
No, they do not need to do the medicals.

If the children were included on IMM0008, that was mistaken (on your part). I'd suggest you call IRCC and also prepare a corrected IMM0008, with a letter to explain corrected because children included on that which should not have been.

That said, don't see any reason why the spouse can't go ahead and do the medicals.

Defend

Feb 9, 2022
No, they do not need to do the medicals.

If the children were included on IMM0008, that was mistaken (on your part). I'd suggest you call IRCC and also prepare a corrected IMM0008, with a letter to explain corrected because children included on that which should not have been.

That said, don't see any reason why the spouse can't go ahead and do the medicals.
We were applying online. And when you fill IMM0008 form there is such tip:

So we did absolutely as it said in the form.

Could it be that in our case IRCC decided that children must pass medical exam? For ex., because they never were in Canada...
P.S. I wrote a request via webform to IRCC, but I can't find a phone number to call...

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'd suggest looking at the paper form and filling that out. It is clear and explicit that Canadian citizens do not belong on the IMM0008 form.

[And if govt chnaged the process for online, then it's effectively a different form]

I have heard that the online later clarifies this, but the problem with online forms is we can't look at the subsequent pages or other parts without going through with the entire application. So unfortunately, can't speak to why it gives incorrect info.

Defend

Feb 9, 2022
I'd suggest looking at the paper form and filling that out. It is clear and explicit that Canadian citizens do not belong on the IMM0008 form.
In the paper form:
"You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada."
It's not also absolutely clear. Is this tip says about spouse, your dependents and spouse's dependents, who aren't Canadians, or this phrase applies only to spouse's dependent?..
I can read this tip as:
You must include:
  • spouse, if applicable
  • all of your dependent children (doesn't matter either they are already citizens or not)
  • those spouse's dependents, who are not citizens (key-words 'those - who' - you must include only non-citizens and not include citizens, the other case for your dependents - you must include all of them)
Anyway, thank you for clarifying that usually citizens don't need to pass medicals!
But for me it's not clear that we made any mistake in the application...

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It's not also absolutely clear. Is this tip says about spouse, your dependents and spouse's dependents, who aren't Canadians, or this phrase applies only to spouse's dependent?..
You're overthinking it and going down rabbit holes. It refers to all dependent children being included who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada. That's pretty clear. (Obviously doesn't apply to spouse because if spouse was a citizen or PR they couldn't be sponsored anyway).

I can read this tip as:
You must include:
  • spouse, if applicable
  • all of your dependent children (doesn't matter either they are already citizens or not)
  • those spouse's dependents, who are not citizens (key-words 'those - who' - you must include only non-citizens and not include citizens, the other case for your dependents - you must include all of them)

You can read it that way if you wish, but it would be wrong.

Spouse must be included - as above.
-all dependent children (of applicant and of the applicant's spouse, which in this case is the sponsor) WHO ARE NOT ALREADY CITIZENS OR PRs.

Clear enough - do not include dependents who are citizens or PRs.

Reactions: YVR123