+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam validity about to expire

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
I've just been approved for a Study Permit for myself, and an Open Work Permit for my spouse, a few days ago. We've also submitted an application for Express Entry through FSW, with an AOR of 6 August. I will be commencing my studies in Fall this year, around September. I intend to enter Canada in August.

As part of our EE application, we completed our medical exam last year in July, and the medical report was generated on 30 July 2020. So, I think the report is valid until 29 July 2021.

So, given that my medical will expire before the date that we intend to enter Canada, will it present problems for us if we use the same medical exam report? Will we need to do another medical exam before leaving for Canada?

Also, will it work to write in to IRCC via Webform requesting that they give us authorisation to use the same medical report for our entry into Canada?

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
Isn't medical procedure different for students and EE profiles? why risking it for a few hundred/thousand bucks, if I were you, I would have kept my medical valid until it no longer matters.

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
Isn't medical procedure different for students and EE profiles? why risking it for a few hundred/thousand bucks, if I were you, I would have kept my medical valid until it no longer matters.
I used the same report for my study permit and EE and got approved. They’re both called Upfront Medical, so I think there’s no difference in how theyre conducted.

Point to note, i’ve already passed my medical and eligiblity checks for my EE application too.

Would you suggest I do another medical just to be safe?

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
I used the same report for my study permit and EE and got approved. They’re both called Upfront Medical, so I think there’s no difference in how theyre conducted.

Point to note, i’ve already passed my medical and eligiblity checks for my EE application too.

Would you suggest I do another medical just to be safe?
In the e-medical information sheet, under 'client visa details', it must be mentioned 'Upfront medical type', my one says 'Student'. Maybe they are same for both immigrant and non-immigrant visas.

It's up to you, but there is no harm in keeping medical valid, it might actually save you from any unforeseen delays if they need you to do medical again.

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
In the e-medical information sheet, under 'client visa details', it must be mentioned 'Upfront medical type', my one says 'Student'. Maybe they are same for both immigrant and non-immigrant visas.

It's up to you, but there is no harm in keeping medical valid, it might actually save you from any unforeseen delays if they need you to do medical again.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/medical-requirements/assessing/immigration-medical-assessment.html

According to the url above, medical examinations are interchangeable. However, medical exams done for temporary residence purposes cannot be used to apply for PR.

"A medical assessment is interchangeable and can be used for other immigration categories, unless the medical officer imposed one of the following limitations on the assessment:

The most commonly used limitations are:

• Assessed as excessive demand exempt only”. A new immigration medical examination is required if the applicant applies under an immigration category that is no longer excessive demand exempt (e.g. the foreign national applied as sponsored spouse (FC-1) and now applies as Federal Skilled Worker)
  • Assessed as Temporary Resident only”. A new immigration medical examination is required if the applicant applies for permanent resident status or extend his or her stay in Canada."
Anyway, thanks for your advice. I will look into doing another medical closer to my departure date.

Reactions: aspirant256