+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam help

Nkhouchaba

Star Member
Mar 3, 2020
Hello, I had a question i have to medical exam in 2 days , my mother sponsored me to go live in canada, I have one problem I am almost a daily pot smoker and only pot dont do nothing else, I was wondering ive seen that they do urine tests for medical exam, does that mean they drug test ? If anyone knows about this that can help me thank you

D&S

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
Category........
FAM
The doctor will ask you if you are a drug user and look for signs of needle marks, etc. anyway. So you might as well be honest even if they don't specifically test for drug use via urine sample (which I suspect they do).

Last edited:

Nkhouchaba

Star Member
Mar 3, 2020
The doctor will ask you if you are a drug user and look for signs of needle marks, etc. anyway. So you might as well be honest even if they don't specifically test for drug use via urine sample (which I suspect they do).
I am scared because I only have this option of sponsorship for me to be reunited with my family, I do not want to fail it because of pot , I do not do anything else only ive drinker alcohol on new years but thats it. So u think they really drug test ? Because I was reading somewhere it was saying they urine test for diabetes or something like that

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I am scared because I only have this option of sponsorship for me to be reunited with my family, I do not want to fail it because of pot , I do not do anything else only ive drinker alcohol on new years but thats it. So u think they really drug test ? Because I was reading somewhere it was saying they urine test for diabetes or something like that
I don't think they do a drug test. Unless they ask the question don't volunteer the information.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't think they do a drug test. Unless they ask the question don't volunteer the information.
Even if a drug test was positive would not on its own be a reason for exclusion. If as a family sponsorship of dependent, only if some public health risk.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Even if a drug test was positive would not on its own be a reason for exclusion. If as a family sponsorship of dependent, only if some public health risk.
armoured is correct. Medical refusal for family sponsorship only applies if you pose a public health risk - i.e. aids, etc.

Also, pot is legal to use recreationally or medicinally in Canada. Tell the doctor you smoke recreationally. If you lie or say nothing and they get a positive hit in your urine sample you can expect extra scrutiny for the remainder of your application process.

Bottom line, relax - it ain't no thang.

Reactions: armoured

moetorious

Jun 2, 2020
You have nothing to worry about they don't test for drugs, you will fill out a questionnaire, they only test for public health risk AIDS TB Hep etc..

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
armoured is correct. Medical refusal for family sponsorship only applies if you pose a public health risk - i.e. aids, etc.

Also, pot is legal to use recreationally or medicinally in Canada. Tell the doctor you smoke recreationally. If you lie or say nothing and they get a positive hit in your urine sample you can expect extra scrutiny for the remainder of your application process.

Bottom line, relax - it ain't no thang.
Yes, thank you. And note, I wasn't saying even that there IS a drug testing component in this - only that even if there is, it still wouldn't matter for these purposes. (As far as I'm aware they don't and strongly doubt they do, especially for marijuana)

But should tell the truth - if asked - regardless. There's no downside in this case.

Reactions: moetorious

D&S

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
Category........
FAM
The only possible issue I read about (if memory serves me correctly) was the potential for substance abuse which may cause a burden to Canada's medical/social system.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The only possible issue I read about (if memory serves me correctly) was the potential for substance abuse which may cause a burden to Canada's medical/social system.
Burden to medical system does not apply to spousal apps. Only public health and safety - which would not apply to Marijuana usage.