+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MEDICAL EXAM (can attempted suicide make you inadmissible)?

Heather chaney

Aug 31, 2017
So one time when I was in america I was put in a mental hospital in 2012 for about 3 days because I tried to kill myself by overdosing on pills (cause i was depressed over a breakup) and since I have been in canada in 2017 I was put in the mental hospital against my desire because I was depressed from marriage problems and was saying I wanted to kill myself and my mother in america called the police and they brought me to the hospital I talked so someone (which was all i needed to feel better) and they put me in the mental hospital against my will and let me leave after 3 days if i wanted cause they just said I needed a few days to just calm down and that is it. Would that make me inadmissable to canada when they do my medical exam this coming month? Also do I need to bring the info or just tell them?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - shouldn't be a problem at all.

Kindness101

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
Canada
App. Filed.......
June 24,15
AOR Received.
Aug 28,15
File Transfer...
AIP - November 15, 2016
Med's Request
PCC request Jan 9th, 17
Med's Done....
June 24, 15 and December, 2017
Interview........
None
LANDED..........
April 9, 2018
So one time when I was in america I was put in a mental hospital in 2012 for about 3 days because I tried to kill myself by overdosing on pills (cause i was depressed over a breakup) and since I have been in canada in 2017 I was put in the mental hospital against my desire because I was depressed from marriage problems and was saying I wanted to kill myself and my mother in america called the police and they brought me to the hospital I talked so someone (which was all i needed to feel better) and they put me in the mental hospital against my will and let me leave after 3 days if i wanted cause they just said I needed a few days to just calm down and that is it. Would that make me inadmissable to canada when they do my medical exam this coming month? Also do I need to bring the info or just tell them?
Wow! I hope you are ok and able to enter Canada now. May happiness and kind thoughts be with you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It does not make you inadmissible but be aware that given the hospitalizations for your illness, you will likely be referred for a psychiatric evaluation. It may delay your app a bit.

thebestapplicant

Mar 26, 2017
Boston, MA
NOC Code......
I'm not sure if the panel doctors would have access to your past medical records. AFAIK, PHI is taken very seriously over here in the US due to HIPAA regulations.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm not sure if the panel doctors would have access to your past medical records. AFAIK, PHI is taken very seriously over here in the US due to HIPAA regulations.
They do not have access to OP's medical records but s/he is required to disclose it in their history. I'm not sure what you mean by your reference to the US.

Reactions: zardoz

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also believe they have access to your provincial healthcare cost records. Doesn't look like you had provincial healthcare so not sure those costs would be reported so I hope you had insurance. On a personal note hope you will consider getting a job and your own network so you feel empowered and aren't overwhelmed by relationship issues and always know you have options.

Beanstalk

May 24, 2018
Hi all,

I cut myself on my wrist in the heat of the moment by accident- it was not an attempt to kill myself. But it was regarded as attempted suicide by my partner and the ambulance. I went to hospital to have a small procedure to repair the tendons. I am perfectly fine now. Happened in 2016. I don't reside in Canada.

My question is - will you be inadmissible?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I cut myself on my wrist in the heat of the moment by accident- it was not an attempt to kill myself. But it was regarded as attempted suicide by my partner and the ambulance. I went to hospital to have a small procedure to repair the tendons. I am perfectly fine now. Happened in 2016. I don't reside in Canada.

My question is - will you be inadmissible?
Unlikely but you will be asked about it and my be asked for a psychiatric evaluation.