+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam before submitting application?

rscalza2002

Jan 23, 2009
Does anyone know if it is OK to get the required medical exam done before you submit the application for permanent residence? I am a U.S. citizen who will be sponsored by my common law partner in Canada. I will be applying for permanent residence from outside of Canada (in New York). I am aware of the 1-year validity limit for the medical exam.

On the CIC Web site, they say the following: "Medical Examination Instructions:
Instructions on how to take the medical examination will normally be sent to you after you submit your application to the visa office." This leads me to believe that you need to submit an application first.

On the other hand, some of the Designated Medical Practitioners that I've spoken with have said that you can get the exam before starting the application.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thank you.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are applying for family class sponsorship, you MUST include the medical certificate with your application so you will have to do the medical exam before applying. The Designated Medical Practitioner (DMP) will give you Copy 2 of the Medical Report: IMM 1017 EFC - Medical Report Section A which must be submitted with your PR application. I think the info. you read was for skilled workers, not for family class sponsorship The process for that is slightly different.