+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Exam AFTER Possport Submission

ayedinness

Jun 13, 2019
Hello All,

I am in a peculiar situation and am confused as to what is going on with my application. Any advise from experienced members here would be much appreciated.

Background:
I am a citizen of India residing in the United States since Jan 2016. I have not traveled outside the United States since I came here. I submitted my application for a student visa along with a co-op work permit on May 2, 2019. I applied from my country of citizenship i.e. India.

On June 4, 2019 - I received a message in my cic account to submit my original passport. My understanding was that this means that the visa has been approved. Subsequently, I submitted my passport (through a representative) at the VAC in Mumbai, India on June 11. VAC then sent my passport to the Bangalore IRCC office where it was received on June 12.

However, today, i.e. June 13 - I received a message in my CIC profile asking me to undergo a medical examination.

I am completely flummoxed by this. Firstly, a medical exam should not be applicable for me as I have lived in the United States for the last 3+ years. (Another student who was in a similar situation got his visa without having to undergo a medical). Second, why would I be asked to undergo a medical AFTER I was asked to submit my passport? Does that mean that my visa is not yet approved? If so, when would I receive my passport?

Has anyone else encountered a situation like this? I am not even sure how or who to contact to request clarification regarding this. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Why did you apply through india when you are in the US?
This is possibly what caused the confusion because if you are in India you so need a medical if in US and havent lived in a designated country for more than 6 month in the last year you dont.

It probably also depends on exactly which options you chose during the application process questionnaire. Only thing you can do is send them a WebForm with an enquiry.

ayedinness

Jun 13, 2019
Why did you apply through india when you are in the US?
This is possibly what caused the confusion because if you are in India you so need a medical if in US and havent lived in a designated country for more than 6 month in the last year you dont.

It probably also depends on exactly which options you chose during the application process questionnaire. Only thing you can do is send them a WebForm with an enquiry.
By process, one can apply from country of citizenship or residency. I did consult an attorney as well as my university immigration consultants and both suggested that I apply from India because of increased scrutiny in United States and higher rate of refusals. Also, like I said, a fellow student did go through the same process and did not have to take a medical. What confuses me the most is as to why I was asked for a medical after they asked for my passport. The passport letter says that a final decision has been made but does not indicate what the decision is. If a medical was required, I would assume they should have asked for it before asking for passport?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
By process, one can apply from country of citizenship or residency. I did consult an attorney as well as my university immigration consultants and both suggested that I apply from India because of increased scrutiny in United States and higher rate of refusals. Also, like I said, a fellow student did go through the same process and did not have to take a medical. What confuses me the most is as to why I was asked for a medical after they asked for my passport. The passport letter says that a final decision has been made but does not indicate what the decision is. If a medical was required, I would assume they should have asked for it before asking for passport?
Can you point me to this procedure where you can choose where to apply dont think I have ever seen that. Does this mean you have to fill out wrong information in the application as to your current residence? Or how does it work exactly?

Could be they realised late that you need medical or could even be the request is a mistake or you and your friend did not give the exact same answer to the application questions.

Avtar_15

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
India
Category........
One simple suggestion: just go for the medical examination and you will be good to go if you pass it.