Star Member
Jul 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Senior members,

I am applying for OWP for myself in canada (and TRV for children), since my wife is a full-time student in masters course.

Q1: Can me and my children get medical coverage, even if we have to pay a premium for the same?

Q2: Can we apply for education of my children in primary/secondary schools?

Appreciate your help with the above questions.

Thanks,

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
1. Yes, you and your children do get medical coverage. The standard time to become eligible for this in Canada is 3 months i.e. AFTER you have been there for 3 months you can get the medical coverage. For this initial period of 3 months, you must purchase private medical insurance which might not be too costly. Google buying private health insurance for first 3 months. Some people have even posted figures too on this forum.

2. For kids under the age of 6 who are on trv, you can apply directly for education at schools (of course once they turn 6 and are eligible to go to school). For those who are 6+ and are primary / secondary school students already, you probably need to get an Open study permit first. In case you are in Quebec, you might need CAQ for study as well.

If you haven't applied yet, and have kids older than 6 years, it is probably better to apply for "open study permit" rather than temp resident visa. This is pretty clearly stated on the cic website in the "dependents" section. Please take a closer look.

Some helpful links
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visas/minors-mineurs.aspx
(specially look under the heading "I will be studying or working in Canada temporarily. Can my dependent child(ren) go to school in Canada?")

fresher_2013

Star Member
Jul 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear fkl,

This was really helpful to me.

Appreciate your help with this.

Warm Regards
Fresher 2013

fresher_2013

Star Member
Jul 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear flk,

Need some advise on the child study permit.

From the links, if it clear that I would need open study permit for my kids to study in primary schools in Canada.

Also, we would not require an acceptance letter from the child’s school in Canada to get a study permit.

Would you advise that we apply for Open Study Permit for kids after arrival in Canada on a visitor visa?

Regards,

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Dear fresher_2013,

My suggestion is to apply for "open study permit". A temp resident visa is a visit visa and does not clearly show the intention.

Plus it makes little sense to waste fee (first e.g. 150 CAD to get temp visa) and latter being in Canada to get open study permit (125 CAD), not to mention the added time frame of processing.

In case you are expecting temp visa to be processed sooner, that is not the case because your entire application is evaluated together and processed at the same time.

In at least one case that i have read on this forum, an applicant's package was returned unprocessed stating that they should apply for open study permit for their child who was 6+ instead of temp resident visa. This wastes valuable time.

Only apply for temp resident visa for kids if they are not school going and under 6.

The process is to simply use the standard study permit application form instead of temp resident visa form, where you can write "not applicable" in the fields which ask for mentioning the institution in which they have been accepted.

Also in the "purpose of visit" you can simply write "accompanying parents". When indicating available funds, in case you or your spouse already have a job offer, you can quote the annual salary.

I personally have 3 kids, two of which are under 5. I applied for temp resident visas for them, where as for the elder one who is about to be 7 and has been going to school, i applied for open study permit.