+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical appointment questions

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
At what point in the sponsorship application/process would my husband need to get his medical appointment done? Does it matter if it is not done at the time of the application being sent out? And where is the medical done, in his country? (Missouri, USA)

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
If he's in Canada, it's apparently a bit (or much) cheaper than outside of Canada. Use this link: CIC: Panel Physicians to find what's available around you, call around and ask how much the exam (plus any tax or fees) is.

When I did mine in Montreal back in Sep 2014, it was 200.00 CAD, flat.

The medical exam is good for a year. If CIC is nearing its decision towards the end of the medical exam expiration, they are able to extend the med exam for 1 year, but I do not know what notice you get or what triggers that extension, simply that others have had this experience with CIC in the past.

Get it done close to the date that you are going to mail in the application. The general rule is to send as complete a package as possible to lower the risk of delays or misplacement of documents.

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Thanks. He is only in Canada around every 3 months and only for about a week or less at a time and we want to have our papers sent out as soon as we can after we get married. Are there places in the US where he can have his medical done? Because the chances of having it here in good time are very low as he won't even be back here for 3 months or more after we get married...

Is it ok to send in the medical forms after sending in the application package or is there a rule that it all has to be done at the same time? I will try and have him get this done as soon as can be.

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Off topic but what other documents will we need? I'd like to get a start on this now before we even get married so that we can send out the application as soon as possible afterward. And how long can it take to a get criminal background check in Nova Scotia? Thanks.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
The checklist says to include proof of medical examination, so that would make it mandatory. Some people have sent it later, but it can cause delays.

If you look at the link that was posted, you can find panel physicians in your area.

What background check are you trying to get in Nova Scotia?

Broliee

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-01-2015
File Transfer...
26-03-2015
Med's Done....
03-01-2015
I don't think you have to send in a background check, I didn't anyways but he will need to for PR. In the US that can take around 4 months, that's how long it took my husband and quite a few others.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you are closer to sending in the application, ask him to come to Canada for a short visit and have his medical here. Since the U.S. dollar is currently worth ~ $1.20 in Canada, that should be incentive enough for him to come and see you, right? ;)

The medical and FBI PCC should be included with the application if at all possible. CIC has shown leniency with most Inland applicants (and some outland as well), but the FBI letter alone is now taking ~ 14 weeks to receive.

Good luck!

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Thank you all. I am wondering if he could have his medical done in the US though? It would be too long if we had to wait for him to come here again. It's costing a fortune for every trip here so he usually comes every 3 months or so, so we were hoping he could have the medical soon or shortly after marriage, but he won't be here for that. Can he have it there? Where would he have it there?

I was asking about the criminal check, don't we as sponsors need police checks or something? I am not sure where the list is of the documents we need but I am curious of what we each need so that we can start getting those documents now. And are there two separate packages, one for me and one for him that we each send separately? how does it work? Sorry for the one million questions. What does he need? If it takes 4 months for him to get his criminal check then wow, he had better apply to get that right this minute... we are marrying in less then 2 months.

Broliee

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-01-2015
File Transfer...
26-03-2015
Med's Done....
03-01-2015
Yes

City: St-Louis
Name: David Campbell
Address: 5000 Cedar Plaza Parkway,
Cedar Plaza Building, Ste 300,
Missouri
Telephone: 314-849-7669
Spoken Languages: English

That's the information for the doctor that would be able to do it in Missouri.

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
bunny82 said:
Are there places in the US where he can have his medical done?
Click on the link in my previous post. You can find approved panel physicians in many countries, including many in the US. There's one in Missouri, but it's up to you to call around and see what price/distance works for you.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bunny82 said:
I was asking about the criminal check, don't we as sponsors need police checks or something? I am not sure where the list is of the documents we need but I am curious of what we each need so that we can start getting those documents now. And are there two separate packages, one for me and one for him that we each send separately? how does it work? Sorry for the one million questions. What does he need? If it takes 4 months for him to get his criminal check then wow, he had better apply to get that right this minute... we are marrying in less then 2 months.
No. Only the applicant needs to provide a PCC from any country where s/he has lived for 6 months or more since age 18.

You should start by reading the very first thread in the forum, as it will give you a better idea of what you need to do.

Good luck!

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
bunny, why don't you download all the forms and guides and do some practice run-throughs so you can see what you need? And also read the guides that explain the questions and all the steps?

The sponsor gets checked by CIC in the sponsor forms. The sponsor does not need to go through the same checks the applicant does in the applicant forms. Read guide and form twice. Read the fine print at the tops of the forms that explain a lot.

Don't forget to breath. If it feels overwhelming right now, I suggest that you take a few days away from the whole subject, set a timer for another day later this week or next where you can come back to the subject.

There's a lot of information to take in, but it's all doable and manageable. :)

bunny82

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Thank you all, I appreciate it very much. I really do need to breathe. I am starting to get really worried about everything and feeling overwhelmed and also by the timeframe right now for the Ottawa VO. What is a PCC? The guides and forms, do you mean the guides and forms on this forum? Sorry I am still fairly new to it all and not sure where to look. I don't have a printer and don't have the forms yet for my sponsorship package. I need to try to find a list somewhere (maybe here or CIC site) of what all I would need and what all he would need. I don't know why but I thought that as a sponsor, they need to know your entire background including criminal, etc. Neither of us have a criminal background but I just wanted to make sure we get everything in time. Thank you again.

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
Breath. :)

Remember not to make mountains out of molehills. You're going over a bunch of little molehills.

Remember that 100s (if not 1000s) of people in almost-exactly your situation have been doing this every year. Lots and lots of US-Canada. Just molehills and not really a mountain in sight (unless there are other non-straightforward issues like criminal record, DUI, child custody battles, etc).

These are the forms AND GUIDES for Outland Spousal (spouse/partner) Sponsorship. Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class

This is the stickied post at the top of this forum for Family Class: Spousal Sponsorship

I suggest that you bookmark both sites but do not download or read anything. Not tonight.

Remember that we (on this forum) have all been there, feeling overwhelmed. Step away for the night. Take a break from immigration thoughts tomorrow. Come back over the weekend when you feel less stressed and start reading through the two links I just posted here.

It'll be okay for most straightforward cases. :)

Molehills, not mountains.

edit: PCC stands for Police Clearance Check (I think), aka FBI background check (since not everyone on this board needs to deal with the FBI, PCC is the general term).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Start here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

Ignore the processing times that were written in the post, because it's nearly five years old. The links in the post should still be valid though.

You must decide if you want to submit an Inland application or an Outland application (both are described in the link above).

You will need to gather a fair amount of documents that will be included with the application package (such as copies of his birth certificate, your passport identity pages, your Option C from CRA, copies of previous divorces, etc.). You will find everything that you need, here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
(this is for an Outland application, which is generally the preferred method since it is usually much faster than an Inland application).

If you decide that you do want to submit an Inland application, he would need to come to Canada and remain in Canada as a visitor, but it currently takes ~ 2 years to get through this process. The Inland package is, here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/information/applications/spouse.asp

The PCC, is the police check that he will need.

Besides the applications and related forms, you will also need to submit proof of your relationship, NOT just a copy of your marriage certificate. CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) needs to see that you were in a genuine relationship prior to your marriage too. People usually send photos, cards, letters written to/from each other, emails, etc., but again, you will find out more as you peruse the many threads here to help you.

Good luck!