+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Meal-Food options for new immigrant in Toronto

kaps

Star Member
Jan 10, 2010
Hi, I am new in Toronto. I live alone. What are the food options available for a new single immigrant in Toronto. I don't know much about cooking. where can I found economical food to eat. like indian food, healthy fresh food and frozen tv dinners. plese provide your tips for meals-food in toronto.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Any supermarkets will have fresh foods (Safeway,Sobeys, IGA etc) Walmart sometimes have a selection of easy meals (pizzas, Kraft dinner etc) and some of the larger ones have a full selection of food. For cheap & easy meals there is M&M Meats, most things can be cooked from frozen and they do a selection of 'meals for one'.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you live downtown - Chinatown has good prices. We shop at the grocery stores there all the time.

kaps

Star Member
Jan 10, 2010
M&M Meat sounds good.

For a working male what could be the options that he can use for healthy, easy and fast eating ??? apart from frozen TV Dinners with less Sodium, pasta, burgers, subway, indian-chinese buffet.

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Economical, healthy, easy fast eating ... all these don't go together in Canada. Really if you are not prepared to cook or at least do some boiling then expect to pay more in healthy eating than housing. You can always learn to boil fresh frozen vegetables and chicken breasts add some salt and pepper and you are good to go.

¬m2l

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree with the above poster. You're not going to find fast, cheap and healthy food easily. If it's fast and cheap - then it won't be healthy (it will be bad fast food). You can find fast and healthy prepared meals in many upscale grocery stores - but they charge a premium for these meals and they are far from cheap. You can prepare healthy food cheaply on your own - but it won't be fast since you'll have to put in the work yourself. So you're either going to have to pay more, eat badly or take the time to prepare things yourself.

M

mrandmrsromero

I totally agree with prior comments. Frozen, convenience and most "cheap" restaurant foods are not only expensive but unhealthy. The beauty of preparing your own food is that you always know what goes in it which makes it easier to make healthy choices. Check out the healthy recipe cookbook section of your local library and learn to make some simple healthy recipes for one person - or recipes that yield extra to freeze so you have items ready to heat up quickly during a busy work week. There are also a lot of great free recipes online - just google "easy healthy recipes"! Also, Toronto has a lot of great options for locally grown fresh food. When you get settled, try out some cooking classes (a great way to learn and meet people!) and will help save you time and money in the long run. Your meals don't have to be complicated. Simple salads, healthy sandwiches, whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables. Local farmer's markets and grocers (not big chains) often have fresher, cheaper produce. Once you get into the habit of making your own food you will be amazed how much healthier and less expensive your meals can be :)

M

mrandmrsromero

Yet another good reason to avoid fast food and cook for yourself: cardiovascular disease is one of the leading causes of death in Canada; and it can be preventable and reversible through dietary choices. Food for thought :)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/08/19/heart.attack.proof.diet/

http://forksoverknives.com/

http://www.heartattackproof.com/