+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

McGill - Graduate Studies - Electrical and Computer Engineering Chances?

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VFS Makati; paper)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
Hi guys,

I am an international student from Southeast Asia and looking into getting my Master's degree at McGill - Electrical and Computer Engineering. I guess my main issue is that McGill's Graduate Studies Admission site does't have an "International Degree Equivalency" guide for students who graduated from my country and so I'm having trouble converting my grades to McGill/Canadian point grade average. My undergrad is a five-year degree in Electronics and Communications Engineering and our semesters are made up of 24 credit hours the minimum. Our 3-hour lab classes also only take 1 credit hour, and our thesis and co-op programs are rated Pass/Fail (not part of the final GPA). I read in McGill's ECE's courses section that 3-hour lab classes get 2 credit hours, and thesis and co-ops have an equivalent grade. When I tried converting my grades and credits, (ignoring my thesis and co-op), I end up with a 3.33/4.0 GPA. What do you think are my chances?

My official GPA based on my transcript is: 1.88
This is my university's grading system:
1.00 - 1.25 - Excellent
1.50 - 1.75 - Very Good
2.00 - 2.25 - Good
2.50 - 2.75 - Satisfactory
3.00 - Pass
5.0 - Fail

Also, I have taken the board exam locally and passed with an 87.9% rating. I have five years worth of work experience, completed several projects related to high-speed analog to digital converters and micro electromechanical machine systems, and published two papers and presented them in technical conferences. I have also been sent to Shanghai and the U.S. for technical trainings. Back in the university I also co-founded a debate organisation, won several debate competitions locally, editor-in-chief of the official engineering news letter, statistics quiz, made it to the Dean's List twice, and was a full-time government scholar for five years. Do you think these details matter? My application status is currently "In Review".

And my GRE and TOEFL are above the minimum requirements. Also, I haven't applied to any other universities but my next two choices would be University of Alberta and University of Calgary.

Appreciate your feedback! Thanks!

Faizanrao

Star Member
Sep 28, 2012
you should try your luck in MSc program if you are interested.you might get admission

about MEng chances..your chances are really good since you have two published papers.go for top-notch universities.you will get in one of the universities for sure.
best of luck.

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VFS Makati; paper)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
Hi Faizanrao!

Thanks, man. I actually applied for MSc, sorry for the confusion. I don't use M.Eng and MSc on a daily basis but yeah I chose the thesis-based program. They also no longer offer M.Eng fro ECE as of 2013. I hope you are right about my profile. I'm still feeling kind of unsure. Thanks again man!