+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MBA/Masters Students in Canada please help ...

EEBANKER

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
1- On average what is the total cost of the program including college fees + living expenses and all others, i need a full estimate as the breakdown on the colleges websites is somehow confusing ,,, i want an experience of someone who studied their how much it would cost in total ,,, how much should I have before the move ?

2-How is the job market after graduation (Finance) ? chances of landing a PR on EE ?

3- What do you think of 1 year MBA ?

Thanks dears

1984.suman

Apr 9, 2011
Hi EEBANKER,

1. The cost of the program depends on the school. You can buy some books/notes from seniors but you will have to buy some books 1st hand (specially the expensive ones :mad: ).I did not buy many books, just the Finance ones - Fin. Acct. and Corporate Finance ( estimate $200 each ) plus some cases (keep another $300 for them). The notes you get should be sufficient for other classes. I do not know about your lifestyle but budget at least $1000 per months for living expenses if you are single. The actual cost might be less...depends on your capability to manage expenses and put up with a poor lifestyle. You will be able to work part time after the 1st two semesters - after 10 months....if you get intern-ship great otherwise you can take up a min. wage job...as a student...that should cover some of your costs...

2. Depends on some of factors - a. How much experience do you have in North America ? b. Where are you located?- if you graduate in Finance from schools in Toronto or Montreal you should be able to get something, if you graduate in Finance from schools in the west you will wait tables. c. Your ability to network d. Your name.

3. It is always better. I did a 2 year MBA - not worth the time. You will have better job prospects and your time out of the work force will be less.

Thanks

EEBANKER said:
1- On average what is the total cost of the program including college fees + living expenses and all others, i need a full estimate as the breakdown on the colleges websites is somehow confusing ,,, i want an experience of someone who studied their how much it would cost in total ,,, how much should I have before the move ?

2-How is the job market after graduation (Finance) ? chances of landing a PR on EE ?

Thanks dears

1984.suman

Apr 9, 2011
Another point - Do not enrol for MBA before getting PR --the fee structure will be very different for international students
EEBANKER said:

Thanks dears

EEBANKER

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Thank you so much dear for your valuable info.
Aside from book and so how much you paid in tuition and other fees all ? and do a 1 year MBA give only 1 year of open work permit ?
as for your last point, well the PR now is hard so maybe its study then hopefully PR rather than PR then study ....

kainthsimranjit

Dec 1, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Missisauga / CPC - Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017
EEBANKER said:
Aside from book and so how much you paid in tuition and other fees all ? and do a 1 year MBA give only 1 year of open work permit ?
as for your last point, well the PR now is hard so maybe its study then hopefully PR rather than PR then study ....
The tuition fee depends upon your school. Some schools have MBA that cost $20,000 and some cost you $120,000.

Chances of PR after MBA would slightly improve because of your masters. It would not effect your EE score substantially. maximum by 20 points.

EEBANKER

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Wouldn't it be easier to land a job in Canada after MBA ? I mean 1 year of experience in Canada would push the score very high ....

kainthsimranjit

Dec 1, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Missisauga / CPC - Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017
EEBANKER said:
Wouldn't it be easier to land a job in Canada after MBA ? I mean 1 year of experience in Canada would push the score very high ....
It is not necessary that you would land a job after MBA easily. Depends upon your university and individual ability.

To get one year of experience you would have to work in Canada. So are you looking at filing your EE three years from now. I do not know whether the same rules would be in place by then.

1984.suman

Apr 9, 2011
Hi EEBANKER

1. Does not matter how much I paid...depends on the school and how much scholarship you can get.

2. Yes, you get 1 year work permit for 1 year MBA. That is why I would suggest to get the PR first then apply for MBA. You will probably pay much less tuition (talk to the school before application)+You will save 1 year of your life+ You will continue working/ job search when you are in school+Having a PR will actually help you getting a job (your visa status is more important than a MBA in my experience).

3. You are a finance person so you will understand - getting the MBA first means a cash outflow at the initiation (which I am guessing you will pay by taking a debt), then job search, getting a job (first cash inflow for you- you already paid interest on the loan you took), then finishing 1 year of work experience, then applying for PR (again some cash outflow)- also consider some cash outflow while you look for job.....on the other hand if you get the PR first and then come an do the MBA you have an option. You may decide that you do not like living in Canada or find a job that pays for the MBA...also the cash outflow may be less with the PR status...MBA may not help you find a job..

Thanks

quote author=EEBANKER link=topic=296917.msg4340741#msg4340741 date=1432731143]
[/quote]

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EEBANKER said:

Thanks dears
I would add that you get a 3-year work permit after a 2-year MBA, but only 1 year after a 1-year program. The work permits are temporary, but they allow you to apply for PR through the Canadian Experience Class. This would be much easier with the 3-year permit.

As to finding a job, it depends on where you are in Canada, but in general it's not an easy place to find work if you are not Canadian!