+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MBA Admissions in GTA

drshohrat

Aug 26, 2017
Hello
I am a PR holder , Pharmacist, living in Mississauga, I am writing my pharmacy licensing exams but they are not turning out as I had hoped so I am planning to start an MBA as a back up, but the problem is I don't know the first thing about getting started, can someone with experience please guide me as to which universities should i apply for , where to study for GMAT from and what are ways in which I can increase my chances of getting an admission in a good university. I have 4 years of management experience in a pharmaceutical industry

drshohrat

Aug 26, 2017
Hello
I am a PR holder , Pharmacist, living in Mississauga, I am writing my pharmacy licensing exams but they are not turning out as I had hoped so I am planning to start an MBA as a back up, but the problem is I don't know the first thing about getting started, can someone with experience please guide me as to which universities should i apply for , where to study for GMAT from and what are ways in which I can increase my chances of getting an admission in a good university. I have 4 years of management experience in a pharmaceutical industry
also, will I need to get a WES evaluation for my admission? I got my ECA from Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada at the time of immigration

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
also, will I need to get a WES evaluation for my admission? I got my ECA from Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada at the time of immigration
No need for WES. You will apply like any other Canadian student. Transcripts from your previous degree are likely to be required.

Reactions: drshohrat

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
There are quite a lot of options in the GTA. You need to decide if you want to study full-time or part-time. You also need to determine whether you are trying to go to the best MBA program or any MBA program although Iwould try to stick to top 20 program. There will be a different type of prestige and acess to opportunities if you attend one of the top 5 MBAs. In Toronto that would be U of T or York and especially a full-time York or U of T MBA programs. There are many public Canadian universities that are not located in Toronto running part-time MBAs programs. These programs cater to professionals still working and are usually run on the weekends or the weekends plus Friday or Friday evening. There are also some MBAs that are primarily virtual where you have to attend a certain amount of sessions in person. People usually fly in or drive to the city for a few long weekends or a week per semester. You’ll need to look up all the various programs and the specifics. I have a family member who attended a program at Queen’s while living in Calgary. I can’t remember the exact amount of time she had to spend in Kingston but it wasn’t a large amount of time. A simple google search will give you the list of schools. In general MBA programs have become pretty easy to get into since there are so many of them. 20+ years ago there were less programs and having an MBA wasn’t an expected qualification for most in management. They are huge money makers for schools so now there are so many programs offered that entry has become much easier.

The pharmacy profession, especially community pharmacy, has a huge surplus of pharmacists so salaries have actually been decreasing over the last 15 years in most areas and finding full-time jobs with benefits is increasingly difficult. Hospital pharmacy jobs, which used to be less sought after because of lower pay, have become much more competitive and most now require a PharmD. Pursuing an MBA is probably a very good idea to give you access to more opportunities even if you pass PEBCs.

drshohrat

Aug 26, 2017
There are quite a lot of options in the GTA. You need to decide if you want to study full-time or part-time. You also need to determine whether you are trying to go to the best MBA program or any MBA program although Iwould try to stick to top 20 program. There will be a different type of prestige and acess to opportunities if you attend one of the top 5 MBAs. In Toronto that would be U of T or York and especially a full-time York or U of T MBA programs. There are many public Canadian universities that are not located in Toronto running part-time MBAs programs. These programs cater to professionals still working and are usually run on the weekends or the weekends plus Friday or Friday evening. There are also some MBAs that are primarily virtual where you have to attend a certain amount of sessions in person. People usually fly in or drive to the city for a few long weekends or a week per semester. You’ll need to look up all the various programs and the specifics. I have a family member who attended a program at Queen’s while living in Calgary. I can’t remember the exact amount of time she had to spend in Kingston but it wasn’t a large amount of time. A simple google search will give you the list of schools. In general MBA programs have become pretty easy to get into since there are so many of them. 20+ years ago there were less programs and having an MBA wasn’t an expected qualification for most in management. They are huge money makers for schools so now there are so many programs offered that entry has become much easier.

The pharmacy profession, especially community pharmacy, has a huge surplus of pharmacists so salaries have actually been decreasing over the last 15 years in most areas and finding full-time jobs with benefits is increasingly difficult. Hospital pharmacy jobs, which used to be less sought after because of lower pay, have become much more competitive and most now require a PharmD. Pursuing an MBA is probably a very good idea to give you access to more opportunities even if you pass PEBCs.
thank you so much for your guidance, is an MBA from Queens one of the prestigious ones that would ensure a stable career.

D

Deleted member 1083629

thank you so much for your guidance, is an MBA from Queens one of the prestigious ones that would ensure a stable career.
There are no prestigious MBAs in Canada. The best one is Rotman but it's far from world-class. Ivey (Western) and Rotman (UT) are considered the best one in Canada.

Not a single MBA in the world will ensure that you have a stable career. The reason why Harvard and Wharton are one of Top-5 in the world is quite simple; networking opportunities. If you cannot sell yourself and make connections, you won't achieve much even with Booth MBA. Based on your first message, I don't think you will get into a top program. You are a pharmacist that look at MBA as a backup plan. That implies that you have never worked in any top financial institutions. If I were you, I would not do MBA.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are no prestigious MBAs in Canada. The best one is Rotman but it's far from world-class. Ivey (Western) and Rotman (UT) are considered the best one in Canada.

Not a single MBA in the world will ensure that you have a stable career. The reason why Harvard and Wharton are one of Top-5 in the world is quite simple; networking opportunities. If you cannot sell yourself and make connections, you won't achieve much even with Booth MBA. Based on your first message, I don't think you will get into a top program. You are a pharmacist that look at MBA as a backup plan. That implies that you have never worked in any top financial institutions. If I were you, I would not do MBA.
You don’t have to work in finance to do an MBA. MBA programs are mainly filled with people who don’t work at a top financial institution or in finance. I know so many pharmacists with MBAs. Nothing guarantees success but a pharmacy and MBA combination is a good combination when seeking employment outside working in a community or hospital pharmacy. As already indicated U of T Rotman and Western Ivey school will be considered the top schools. If you attend their full-time program you will be more likely to be recruited by top employers and meet very intelligent people that will provide lots of networking experience. It is a challenging program. The top schools in Canada would be U of T, Western, York, McGill, Queen’s and UBC (listed in random order). It does make a difference if you got an MBA from one of these schools since recruiters will be present at the schools and employers will take note that you graduate from a top program. If you attend a weekends only with remote option MBAs they treated a bit differently. Most are just trying to get an MBA to mice up the job ladder to management positions and increase their pay grade but are balancing work and studying often with family so it isn’t as rigorous as the full-time in person programs.

D

Deleted member 1083629

You don’t have to work in finance to do an MBA. MBA programs are mainly filled with people who don’t work at a top financial institution or in finance. I know so many pharmacists with MBAs. Nothing guarantees success but a pharmacy and MBA combination is a good combination when seeking employment outside working in a community or hospital pharmacy. As already indicated U of T Rotman and Western Ivey school will be considered the top schools. If you attend their full-time program you will be more likely to be recruited by top employers and meet very intelligent people that will provide lots of networking experience. It is a challenging program. The top schools in Canada would be U of T, Western, York, McGill, Queen’s and UBC (listed in random order). It does make a difference if you got an MBA from one of these schools since recruiters will be present at the schools and employers will take note that you graduate from a top program. If you attend a weekends only with remote option MBAs they treated a bit differently. Most are just trying to get an MBA to mice up the job ladder to management positions and increase their pay grade but are balancing work and studying often with family so it isn’t as rigorous as the full-time in person programs.
Working at a financial institutions OR leading any large-scale project with large profits is one of the core paragraphs of the statement of purpose. If one can enter Ivey or Rotman without having any previous experience as a leader, then I have questions about the program. To me, getting an MBA for any program that is outside of Top 20 worldwide is a waste of time and money. Here is the list of Top MBA programs: https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/mba-rankings/global/2022 . Rotman is 42, Ivey is 72, York is 81.

Again, I have NEVER said that OP cannot get into MBA. I just mentioned that it might be a waste of time and money given the OP's profile. One point that OP has never mentioned; what does he want to do with his MBA? Just getting in and graduating with MBA and adding another degree to the CV is a waste of time, IMO.

D

Deleted member 1083629

MBA programs are mainly filled with people who don’t work at a top financial institution or in finance.
Only this line tells me everything I need to know about MBA in Canada.

https://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/class-profile/ . Here is the average profile of people who gets accepted into Wharton. Health care is 5%. Most people are from finance background (consulting tends to hire people with finance background; it has been changed in recent years with the launch of AI programs at Big N but still, leadership experience is required).

Nothing guarantees success but a pharmacy and MBA combination is a good combination when seeking employment outside working in a community or hospital pharmacy.
Doing what exactly? What does OP want to do with his MBA? IB, portfolio management? Maybe, what he wants to do doesn't require MBA and 6 months course from a local university would be a better choice?

If you attend their full-time program you will be more likely to be recruited by top employers and meet very intelligent people that will provide lots of networking experience.
That's not how networking works at MBA. Plus, why can't OP meet people by going to meetups that companies hold regularly?

Most are just trying to get an MBA to mice up the job ladder to management positions and increase their pay grade but are balancing work and studying often with family so it isn’t as rigorous as the full-time in person programs.
Now we are getting to the question. How will MBA help OP to achieve what he wants?

drshohrat

Aug 26, 2017
Thank you all for your responses, I am really learning alot.
I have had more than 8 years of Management experience (marketing department), with a pharmaceutical company in Pakistan. I wish to pivot back to the pharma industry and thought a Canadian MBA would give me a sure way into the pharma industry over here. Any guidance regarding breaking into the pharma industry, specially the marketing side of it, would really help me make a better choice.

D

Deleted member 1083629

Thank you all for your responses, I am really learning alot.
I have had more than 8 years of Management experience (marketing department), with a pharmaceutical company in Pakistan. I wish to pivot back to the pharma industry and thought a Canadian MBA would give me a sure way into the pharma industry over here. Any guidance regarding breaking into the pharma industry, specially the marketing side of it, would really help me make a better choice.
Now we are speaking the same language. So, you do have management experience in a very relevant field. In your particular circumstances, go for MBA in Canada; Ivey, Rotman, York. As a matter of fact, try to get a job BEFORE you go for MBA. You have enough experience but I agree, MBA will boost your CV.

When I was talking about Top-20 in the world, I meant for people trying to break into a super competitive fields with ridic. salaries. If you are trying to get into a pharma industry and you already have experience and just a need a way to address a lovely "Canadian experience" catch 22, then any of the aforementioned MBAs are fine; you don't need to kill yourself to get into Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Sloan or Haas.

Finally, take a look at Masters in Marketing and see if it makes sense financially.

drshohrat

Aug 26, 2017
Now we are speaking the same language. So, you do have management experience in a very relevant field. In your particular circumstances, go for MBA in Canada; Ivey, Rotman, York. As a matter of fact, try to get a job BEFORE you go for MBA. You have enough experience but I agree, MBA will boost your CV.

When I was talking about Top-20 in the world, I meant for people trying to break into a super competitive fields with ridic. salaries. If you are trying to get into a pharma industry and you already have experience and just a need a way to address a lovely "Canadian experience" catch 22, then any of the aforementioned MBAs are fine; you don't need to kill yourself to get into Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Sloan or Haas.

Finally, take a look at Masters in Marketing and see if it makes sense financially.
Thank you , thank you.

drshohrat

Aug 26, 2017

Thank you , thank you i will surely look into all of this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

As you mentionned attending a top 20 in the world business school full-time MBA are essentially a gateway to the most lucrative jobs in the world whether in finance, large tech companies, top consulting firms, etc. In general MBAs are for those wanting to move up the corporate ladder in any field. Most have some lower level management experience and want to move up to more senior management positions. Except in maybe the top 20 business schools many don’t have a bachelors degree in business partially because there is overlap between a BCom and an MBA. As I mentionned unless you are working as a community or hospital pharmacist and don’t have a desire to move up into management whether it be in hospital management or as an owner of a pharmacy or pharmacies then there isn’t a need for an MBA. There are a large number of pharmacists who work in other sectors not just behind the counter at Shoppers from government, insurance, pharma industry, banking sector, consulting, etc. Getting an MBA isn’t only for those who want to go into investment banking. For many employers it has almost becomes a prerequisite for promotion to more senior roles. An MBA is no longer a rare commodity. When applying for many management jobs many will have MBAs so to compete having an MBA becomes almost a necessity. Having an MBA will also allow you to command a higher salary in many industries. Many Pharmacists who don’t work in “typical” pharmacy roles are getting MBAs so if you don’t want to work as a community pharmacist or hospital pharmacist (nowadays you need a PharmD to get a job in most hospitals) getting an MBA will open up more opportunities. Having a Canadian degree will also open up more doors versus an international degree. If you are having difficulty getting through the licensing exams then an MBA may be a better option. There is a surplus of pharmacists and salaries have been decreasing over the past 15 years in especially community pharmacy (not pharmacy ownership) so exploring other sectors will probably lead to a better paid position.

D

Deleted member 1083629

As you mentionned attending a top 20 in the world business school full-time MBA are essentially a gateway to the most lucrative jobs in the world whether in finance, large tech companies, top consulting firms, etc. In general MBAs are for those wanting to move up the corporate ladder in any field. Most have some lower level management experience and want to move up to more senior management positions. Except in maybe the top 20 business schools many don’t have a bachelors degree in business partially because there is overlap between a BCom and an MBA. As I mentionned unless you are working as a community or hospital pharmacist and don’t have a desire to move up into management whether it be in hospital management or as an owner of a pharmacy or pharmacies then there isn’t a need for an MBA. There are a large number of pharmacists who work in other sectors not just behind the counter at Shoppers from government, insurance, pharma industry, banking sector, consulting, etc. Getting an MBA isn’t only for those who want to go into investment banking. For many employers it has almost becomes a prerequisite for promotion to more senior roles. An MBA is no longer a rare commodity. When applying for many management jobs many will have MBAs so to compete having an MBA becomes almost a necessity. Having an MBA will also allow you to command a higher salary in many industries. Many Pharmacists who don’t work in “typical” pharmacy roles are getting MBAs so if you don’t want to work as a community pharmacist or hospital pharmacist (nowadays you need a PharmD to get a job in most hospitals) getting an MBA will open up more opportunities. Having a Canadian degree will also open up more doors versus an international degree. If you are having difficulty getting through the licensing exams then an MBA may be a better option. There is a surplus of pharmacists and salaries have been decreasing over the past 15 years in especially community pharmacy (not pharmacy ownership) so exploring other sectors will probably lead to a better paid position.
You are correct. Given the OP's profile (he omitted some important details in his first post) and what he wants to do, I would say that MBA is a good choice.