+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May have become exempt from travel restriction should I contact IRCC?

Agie971

Aug 26, 2020
Good morning!

My sibling just got Permanent Residency in Quebec. Although I am applying to go live in the anglophone part of the country (EE) am I considered travel exempt now? And if so should I send an email to notify IRCC. I don't want them to think that I want to live in Quebec but I read applications are given priority to people who are travel exempt. I would be visiting my two siblings in Quebec when I settle in Canada but not live there, also doing so within the permission of Covid restrictions ofc. What does it mean to "unite with a family member"? Do I need to show I will stay with them or can I land in Ottawa, get an apartment then visit them later on within a month or two?

Thank you for your input!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What is your immigration status? You sister is extended family so you are not exempted but you need to apply for written authorization to reunify with your sister. You need to prove your visit to your sister is essential. The form is on the Canada immigration website. She needs to fill it out and sign it. Then you sign and have it notarized.

Agie971

Aug 26, 2020
I have no status presently but expected CoPR is June. That's where it's confusing because on the site it says only people who are planning to come for 15 days or less need to prove non-discretionary reasons for travel.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have no status presently but expected CoPR is June. That's where it's confusing because on the site it says only people who are planning to come for 15 days or less need to prove non-discretionary reasons for travel.
You can’t enter Canada on your COPR right now. It is stated on the website.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You can if you are travel exempted, which is what I am trying to find out.
You are not travel exempted. You still need the written authorization to travel as I stated above. You need to show that reunifying with your sister is essential.

Agie971

Aug 26, 2020
No I don't need to prove it's essential if it's for 15 days or more. If I get the authorization then I am allowed to travel and I would then be considered travel exempt. So my question is if I travel this way would I be able to come with CoPR or not since my sibling lives in Quebec. I am asking because it appears some people were able to get into Canada with CoPR after March 18th 2020 this way. I am just trying to confirm it's possible. Thank you for your answer but it appears you don't really know the answer to what I am asking so I'd like to hear from people who may have been in this situation.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You should be able to enter with COPR if you have written authorization to travel. I say “should‘ because CBSA has final say on whether you can board a flight. Not sure where you get over 15 days you don’t need to prove it isn’t essential for travel authorization. This has nothing to do with the current rules on initiating COPR.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html

Agie971

Aug 26, 2020
It's the last sentence on this part of the site:
"
Extended family members of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident
To be eligible, all of the following must apply:

• You’re an extended family member of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident.
  • You’re staying in Canada for 15 days or more.
  • You have written authorization from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
You must also have a quarantine plan that shows how you’ll quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This plan is mandatory.

Extended family members staying for less than 15 days must be travelling for a non-discretionary purpose."

They precise non-discretionary for less than 15 days only and don't mention non-discretionary reasons anywhere else for extended family members.

yoemannn

Jul 30, 2015
As per your post above "You have written authorization from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC "

You need to get an authorization letter (AL) from IRCC before you can do your landing and that is what others have been trying to tell you.
You will not be allowed to board without AL

Agie971

Aug 26, 2020
I understand that I will need the authorization but as far as I looked on the form it doesn't really ask for the purpose of the trip so I wonder if they would just validate the entry as a tourist or if I'll be able to enter and confirm Permanent Residency, especially since my sibling is in Quebec I wonder if it's okay to land in another city.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I understand that I will need the authorization but as far as I looked on the form it doesn't really ask for the purpose of the trip so I wonder if they would just validate the entry as a tourist or if I'll be able to enter and confirm Permanent Residency, especially since my sibling is in Quebec I wonder if it's okay to land in another city.
You'll certainly want to show why your trip is needed / essential right now. We seen many authorization letter refusals on this forum where IRCC has deemed the reason for travel to be non-essential at this time.

Agie971

Aug 26, 2020
Okay I went a little further in the process and see where they ask you to justify travel now, so although it looks like it should be open to non-discretionary purposes I'd still need a very good valid reason to get approval.