+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May 2021 - Citizenship Applications

asing711

Star Member
Apr 2, 2017
took the test of Jan 14th, BG verification was done on Dec 21. No news since then on the rest. Is this normal? I'm seeing varied levels of timings for next steps on the tracker

pliscki

Feb 21, 2016
took the test of Jan 14th, BG verification was done on Dec 21. No news since then on the rest. Is this normal? I'm seeing varied levels of timings for next steps on the tracker
I think it's normal. I took the test on the same date and had no updates since then.
Based on the information shared by other users on this thread it looks like updates come from 1 to 2 months after the test is completed.

Dr Hammer

Dec 10, 2021
I had the same issue checking the tracker because we tend to look into those who are ahead in the process, I mean the higher percentiles (top 5%) rather than looking into the majority of applicants.

I think based on the data in tracker, currently, the average processing time is about 11 months with an standard deviation of about 38 days for online applicants. It means:
- From mid-March to mid-May we will see many oath invites for May online applicants(64%).
- 50% of May applicants should get oath invite by mid-April. If you passed mid-April with no oath date, then, you can say your application is getting late. Before that you are good.
- The majority (84%) on May applicant should get oath invite by mid-May.

Note: IRCC 12-month processing time is also based on 80% applicant, meaning that 20% will go over 12 months.
There are also some data analysis in the other sheets of the tracker but those include both paper and online applicant combined. It looks like that paper application are a bit faster.

katana.b

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
I had the same issue checking the tracker because we tend to look into those who are ahead in the process, I mean the higher percentiles (top 5%) rather than looking into the majority of applicants.

I think based on the data in tracker, currently, the average processing time is about 11 months with an standard deviation of about 38 days for online applicants. It means:
- From mid-March to mid-May we will see many oath invites for May online applicants(64%).
- 50% of May applicants should get oath invite by mid-April. If you passed mid-April with no oath date, then, you can say your application is getting late. Before that you are good.

Note: IRCC 12-month processing time is also based on 80% applicant, meaning that 20% will go over 12 months.
There are also some data analysis in the other sheets of the tracker but those include both paper and online applicant combined. It looks like that paper application are a bit faster.
Thanks for the analysis! Guess we need more visibility into how they're processing these applications - we know general criteria - but have no clue as to whether the file is just sitting there for the oath to be triggered etc.

Reactions: Dr Hammer

katana.b

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Thanks for the analysis! Guess we need more visibility into how they're processing these applications - we know general criteria - but have no clue as to whether the file is just sitting there for the oath to be triggered etc.
June applicants have had DM's made before applicants in May. Generally I've seen that those with DM's and Oath's have had their applications processed within 10 months from App received to Oath/DM. And that processing time for applicants that have straightforward applications are between 8-9 months.

Mississauga office is pretty quick.
Single applicants get DM/Oath faster.

harmit214@gmail.com

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I am also May-2021 applicant with Aug-2021 AOR and I'm waiting for my oath email.

Tracker has everything else check marked.

My questions are:-

1. Is oath ceremony online / virtual?

2. If I'm not in Canada for a couple of weeks during or before the oath ceremony last day can I still attend the virtual oath and then come back to Canada and take/get the documents they'll send?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dr Hammer

Dec 10, 2021
You are right. They need to increase the person-hours and hire more staff and better monitor their performance. Before COVID the processing time was about 8-months, it reached to close to two years for those who applied early in 2020. Now, they are reducing the processing times and it stands on average at 11 months right now. It is still more than pre-Covid. But, I think we are in a better situation compared to those who applied 1-year ahead of us. Also, in a better situation compared to some other types of applications (Parent sponsorship process is about two-years now).

Reactions: katana.b

asing711

Star Member
Apr 2, 2017

Thanks for that breakdown, it's very helpful. I wonder if processing office matters. Regardless, it's comforting to know that I'm not yet an outlier. Unfortunate to hear though that others may be waiting like me.

Reactions: Dr Hammer

Dr Hammer

Dec 10, 2021
June applicants have had DM's made before applicants in May. Generally I've seen that those with DM's and Oath's have had their applications processed within 10 months from App received to Oath/DM. And that processing time for applicants that have straightforward applications are between 8-9 months.

Mississauga office is pretty quick.
Single applicants get DM/Oath faster.
It is a normal distribution (ave= 11month and std=38days) . About 2.5% of applicants get oath in less than 8.5 months, and about 2.5 % of applicant get oath after 13.5 months. It is not all equal processing times, which in that case, it should have been 11 months for all at the current rate of processing.

Last edited:
Reactions: katana.b

CLCR4025

Jul 10, 2015
Please update:
App sent: May 3rd
Delivered: May 4th
AOR: Aug 3rd
In process: June 23rd
Background Verification Comp: Sep 23rd

Since then no updates, I moved from TO to Calgary back un August and reported the change via webform hope that is not delaying my app from moving forward.

Reactions: summaiya_t

katana.b

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
You are right. They need to increase the person-hours and hire more staff and better monitor their performance. Before COVID the processing time was about 8-months, it reached to close to two years for those who applied early in 2020. Now, they are reducing the processing times and it stands on average at 11 months right now. It is still more than pre-Covid. But, I think we are in a better situation compared to those who applied 1-year ahead of us. Also, in a better situation compared to some other types of applications (Parent sponsorship process is about two-years now).
Yes definitely agree that we're in a better position and that the numbers on average for processing times are better. :)

Reactions: Wandering Mind