+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May 2021 - Citizenship Applications

park1996

Star Member
Sep 28, 2018
I sympathize but given the fact some 2020 applicants are still waiting for no reason, I doubt we 2021 applicants can seek compensation even based on the fact that CIC might have done an error. They are still (unfortunately) within the 27 months processing timeline.

Good on you though - congrats on the the progress.
I don’t think taking them to court would be very easy, but if the 2020 applicant take them to court they’ll likely win and get expedited processing as well.

Basically going judicial review is a lose-lose situation - the applicant will cost thousands of dollars and the IRCC has to respond with their lawyer (which costs money and does not look good internally), and both sides will cost time to go through this process. So it is like who gives in first

park1996

Star Member
Sep 28, 2018
Many 2020 applicants and even some 2019 applicants are still waiting, while January 2022 paper applicants are getting oath, and applications in recent months are getting AOR within days! Apparently IRCC is working on a last come, first served model. Really unfair. While I agree that any kind of legal action would be quickly dismissed for anyone who hasn't passed 27 months, I think it's still good for us 2021 applicants to express our displeasure at IRCC's delays on our applications when we have any reasonable basis to do so (like an error on IRCC's part).
And I agree - normal applicant should not go or threat going JR just because the processing is taking too long - I am doing it solely because they did nothing when my SS has gone missing for 9 months. If it is just security screening by CSIS or something I’d be ok with it

Reactions: trumprefugee

park1996

Star Member
Sep 28, 2018
I spoke with IRCC Call Centre again today. They told me that my application is in the "urgent pool" right now. My MP Jagmeet Singh's office has previously requested urgent processing on my behalf based on that I am interning for a US-based company that may require me to travel to the US. I did not think that was one of the accepted reasons for urgent request but nonetheless submitted it and I think their response relayed to me was that it was indeed not a ground for urgent processing. Then because of the "security screening lost" incident I sent them another letter (which is submitted via webform, mail and the MP's office cuz they claim to have direct contact with IRCC Vancouver) last week basically saying they need to put my application under urgent processing due to the "security screening mistake". This is kind of ground for urgent processing as I have read in the IRCC internal manual that if the Federal Court allows a judicial review appeal the reconsideration should be processed as urgent. In my case, I did not really go to JR but it is nonetheless an error on their side and I threatened to go to JR if not allowed... Not sure which one of those requests got my application there but since it is now in the "urgent pool" hopefully it will get only faster from this point...

Reactions: trumprefugee

gabrielasqs

Sep 26, 2017
Here is what I wrote:

It has been brought to my attention today that the original request for security screening from your agency to the CSIS was never received by the CSIS due to a system issue, and your agency only investigated and re-submitted such request after I inquired about it in the letter dated July xxth 2022 and provided the response from CSIS saying their personal information bank does not contain my information, 9 months after the original request has been sent. This is beyond unacceptable and cannot be further from your agency’s service standard. I believe had this issue been investigated and resolved sooner, my application would have been finalized. Therefore, I request that your agency and your partner agencies like CSIS compensate for the delays by expediting the remaining processing of my application to the maximum extent possible and schedule me for a citizenship ceremony at the earliest opportunity possible. If there are further delays in my application, I would have no choice but to seek compensation for the unfair treatment I received by your agency through judicial means.

Basically if the delay is due to some complications with my application, it is acceptable. But in my case it is a human error so it is their error and they should make amendments for it
Requesting the ATIP notes also helps getting an update. Back in March when I requested for the 1st time, right after I received the request for fingerprints. Last month when I requested it again, right after my background was changed to complete. I will request it again even tho they have a due date on August.

callmebyyourname

Mar 11, 2022
Hi all,

I attended the virtual oath yesterday Jul 21, and everything went smoothly.
And today Jul 22, the tracker updated to close my file. Hopefully, the certificate will arrive by EOM.

Below are my oath experiences.
It seems like they streamlined the event from 3 to 2 main sections.

Section 1: Breakout Room - 1 on 1
  • I was panicked because the zoom kept saying that "the host will let you in soon" for 15min and I thought that I missed the ceremony someway.
  • Within this section, the IRCC officials asked me to cut off the PR card. Before they would send you to the breakout room after the main ceremony.
Section 2: Oath Ceremony - full room of 81. The is no different from 2021.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/virtual-citizenship-ceremony-experience-in-detail.742497/

Goldenita

Jun 29, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I attended the virtual oath yesterday Jul 21, and everything went smoothly.
And today Jul 22, the tracker updated to close my file. Hopefully, the certificate will arrive by EOM.

Below are my oath experiences.
It seems like they streamlined the event from 3 to 2 main sections.

Section 1: Breakout Room - 1 on 1
  • I was panicked because the zoom kept saying that "the host will let you in soon" for 15min and I thought that I missed the ceremony someway.
  • Within this section, the IRCC officials asked me to cut off the PR card. Before they would send you to the breakout room after the main ceremony.
Section 2: Oath Ceremony - full room of 81. The is no different from 2021.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/virtual-citizenship-ceremony-experience-in-detail.742497/
Hi which office please

Reactions: callmebyyourname

Ubaid2627

Jul 22, 2022
Hi everyone! Can anyone please guide me on what I can do.

Sent application: May 2021
AOR: August 2021

Everything except the test and ceremony (which say not started) says in process since october 2021 but nothing since then.

What can I do?