Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
My wife received her AIP back in September. We also received a request to get her a new medical and get her passport updated before they could complete the PR process. Realizing that Russian passport could take a few months to receive, we delayed the medical so as to maximize its validity period. During that period of time, she has become pregnant again. Therefore, we can't do the X-ray until after she gives birth.

Reducing this to simple terms, she can't get her PR until likely next November 2012. She has a valid work permit that she received as consequence off the AIP, but it expires when her old passport expires in March 2012.

She would like to get a job and work until she gives birth in July 2012. Can she at that time collect maternity leave? If she collects maternity leave, am I failing to satisfy the requirements of a sponsor?

Obviously, I am trying to maximize our financial position for the arrival of our new family member.

(knocking on wood: NO MISCARRIAGE THIS TIME!)

abisehiyo

Star Member
Dec 14, 2009
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 06,2010
Hi annabruce,

I actually called CIC today regarding that matter. The agent told me EI and maternity leave is not considered as welfare. So we are good to claim it. You can call them yourself to make sure. Hope it helps.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
Thanks for your reply.

Of course, I also question whether or not she would qualify when she is working under a work permit rather than PR. Has anybody reading this attempted to collect EI or maternity while in Canada temporarily. Clearly, her intent is to be here permanently, though her status will not show that when she applies for maternity benefits.

I looked this up on the service canada website. The answer is vague.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
annabruce said:
My wife received her AIP back in September. We also received a request to get her a new medical and get her passport updated before they could complete the PR process. Realizing that Russian passport could take a few months to receive, we delayed the medical so as to maximize its validity period. During that period of time, she has become pregnant again. Therefore, we can't do the X-ray until after she gives birth.

Reducing this to simple terms, she can't get her PR until likely next November 2012. She has a valid work permit that she received as consequence off the AIP, but it expires when her old passport expires in March 2012.

She would like to get a job and work until she gives birth in July 2012. Can she at that time collect maternity leave? If she collects maternity leave, am I failing to satisfy the requirements of a sponsor?

Obviously, I am trying to maximize our financial position for the arrival of our new family member.

(knocking on wood: NO MISCARRIAGE THIS TIME!)
Yes, if she has worked enough hours to qualify.

annabruce said:
Thanks for your reply.

Of course, I also question whether or not she would qualify when she is working under a work permit rather than PR. Has anybody reading this attempted to collect EI or maternity while in Canada temporarily. Clearly, her intent is to be here permanently, though her status will not show that when she applies for maternity benefits.

I looked this up on the service canada website. The answer is vague.
Intent to be here permanently or temporarily will have no bearing on it. The work permit itself was issued because she was sponsored by a spouse which clearly shows intent to become permanent.

Have you advised CIC that she's pregnant and can't do the medical? They often put time limits on it for completion so you must let them know why she can't complete it. She can do a partial and complete it after the baby is born.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
Thanks RJ,

Yes, we called them about the pregnancy. She will do the partial medical. I assume the tests that they give her will show the pregnancy. Is this assumption correct? We will be forwarding this together with the passport before the 90 day deadline on Dec. 19.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
annabruce said:
Thanks RJ,

Yes, we called them about the pregnancy. She will do the partial medical. I assume the tests that they give her will show the pregnanncy. Is this assumption correct? We will be forwarding this together with the passport before the 90 day deadline on Dec. 19.
The exam doesn't test for pregnancy but the doctor will make note of it for the reason she didn't do the X-ray.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
rjessome said:
The exam doesn't test for pregnancy but the doctor will make note of it for the reason she didn't do the X-ray.
Do you recommend then that we get a statement from another doctor that proves her pregnancy?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
annabruce said:
Do you recommed then that we get a statement from another doctor that proves her pregnancy?
No. She has AIP so they believe the relationship is genuine. Nobody is going to question her about being pregnant especially since if she weren't pregnant, she could get the complete medical done and PR issued sooner.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)