+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity / Parental Leave during Implied Status

joeychuramoi

Star Member
May 16, 2015
Hi,
Well, my wife kept receiving her maternity leave benefits normally while on implied status.
I remember that one day during this period, CRA did ring us to ask to send the confirmation of application for her WP extension via fax too.
You should be okay as long as you fulfill their requirements even though your SIN has expired.
Good luck!

hi,

im currently on maternity leave and on implied status. just wondering if my maternity continue despite having an expired SIN.

thanks

kp24

Star Member
Jun 22, 2018
Hi
Can anyone guid me pls.i came on open workpermit and i have worked more than 1 year fill time after i have to apply study permit i am currently 7 month pregnant so can i get maternity leave?
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
Can anyone guid me pls.i came on open workpermit and i have worked more than 1 year fill time after i have to apply study permit i am currently 7 month pregnant so can i get maternity leave?
Thanks
When does your WP expire? If you don't have status or are implied status you may have trouble with both health coverage and mat leave payments. Partially depends on what province you live in.

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
When does your WP expire? If you don't have status or are implied status you may have trouble with both health coverage and mat leave payments. Partially depends on what province you live in.
As far as I know, you have to work to get maternity leave. Are you currently working?if you are in implied status, hard to get health card. I hope you got it while you are working. When does your wp expire?

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
If you have a valid work permit when you apply for the maternity leave and then the status change to implied after, you still receive the payments. All CRA will do is to give you a call requesting a proof that you've applied for a new permit. Own experience.

SahilR

Jul 7, 2019
Hey there, I have a question my wife is pregnant and her due date is 25 December 2021 and our BOWP work permit is valid until end of November and I will reapply for another BOWP this time it’s my 3rd time I am going to apply for BOWP I don’t know if I can extend BOWP wp for 3rd Time or not , my Pr is not coming don’t know what to do!! Anyways I just wanna understand if you are on implied status your health card is still valid or not? For the baby birth because I heard some people paying around 30k if your Alberta health coverage is not valid anymore.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey there, I have a question my wife is pregnant and her due date is 25 December 2021 and our BOWP work permit is valid until end of November and I will reapply for another BOWP this time it’s my 3rd time I am going to apply for BOWP I don’t know if I can extend BOWP wp for 3rd Time or not , my Pr is not coming don’t know what to do!! Anyways I just wanna understand if you are on implied status your health card is still valid or not? For the baby birth because I heard some people paying around 30k if your Alberta health coverage is not valid anymore.
Unfortunately I believe that is the case but I would verify with AHS. Deliveries are usually 7-20k depending on the situation unless more severe complications.

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
Someone told me you can extend your Alberta health card for 90 days on implied status
In that case, call Service Alberta (or whatever it's called) and check.
And, if you have to pay for the delivery, see you can be reimbursed after you get your PR/BOWP and your health card extended.

We weren't sure if we were going to have our Ontario Health Card on ours daughter's birth date, so we signed up for midwife services which are free at least here in Ontario. Luckily, we got our Health Card extended during pregnancy, so my wife ended up giving birth at a "normal" hospital and doctors.

SahilR

Jul 7, 2019
Sure I would call on Monday ..I am on BOWP right now and it’s still valid until November
In that case, call Service Alberta (or whatever it's called) and check.
And, if you have to pay for the delivery, see you can be reimbursed after you get your PR/BOWP and your health card extended.

We weren't sure if we were going to have our Ontario Health Card on ours daughter's birth date, so we signed up for midwife services which are free at least here in Ontario. Luckily, we got our Health Card extended during pregnancy, so my wife ended up giving birth at a "normal" hospital and doctors.
My BOWP expiring on November so I will apply for an extension on august 2021 hope to get my BOWP in 3/4 months period time ? I am still waiting for my Pr application so we have tell to IRCC about pregnancy? They can accelerate my file or not ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sure I would call on Monday ..I am on BOWP right now and it’s still valid until November

My BOWP expiring on November so I will apply for an extension on august 2021 hope to get my BOWP in 3/4 months period time ? I am still waiting for my Pr application so we have tell to IRCC about pregnancy? They can accelerate my file or not ?
Pregnancy does not influence processing times.