+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity / Parental Leave during Implied Status

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
Hi. I was wondering if anyone went through the experience to go on an Implied Status while receiving the Maternity or Parental Leave Benefits. I wanted to know whether it is still possible to receive the benefits during it or, if it stops, to get it resumed as soon as a new permit is issued as well as the SIN number.
Thanks in advance for the comments.

Sra1

Nov 19, 2018
Hi. I was wondering if anyone went through the experience to go on an Implied Status while receiving the Maternity or Parental Leave Benefits. I wanted to know whether it is still possible to receive the benefits during it or, if it stops, to get it resumed as soon as a new permit is issued as well as the SIN number.
Thanks in advance for the comments.
Hai der,
Hope you doing well.
I am in same situation now. Now I am in third trimester or 7th month. My Open work permit expired last week. Since my PR is in processing I applied BOWP before my work permit expired. So now I am in implied status. I don’t know I should go to Mat leave or not.

So how did it go through for you.?
I can take mat leave while on implied status or not.?
What should I do now.?
Please reply

Thanks.

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
Hai der,
Hope you doing well.
I am in same situation now. Now I am in third trimester or 7th month. My Open work permit expired last week. Since my PR is in processing I applied BOWP before my work permit expired. So now I am in implied status. I don’t know I should go to Mat leave or not.

So how did it go through for you.?
I can take mat leave while on implied status or not.?
What should I do now.?
Please reply

Thanks.
Hi,
Well, my wife kept receiving her maternity leave benefits normally while on implied status.
I remember that one day during this period, CRA did ring us to ask to send the confirmation of application for her WP extension via fax too.
You should be okay as long as you fulfill their requirements even though your SIN has expired.
Good luck!

tinu28111987

Nov 1, 2017
Hi,
Well, my wife kept receiving her maternity leave benefits normally while on implied status.
I remember that one day during this period, CRA did ring us to ask to send the confirmation of application for her WP extension via fax too.
You should be okay as long as you fulfill their requirements even though your SIN has expired.
Good luck!
Hello,
I am in the same situation.
However, I have a different question. I am due next month end.
Do you know if it is required to take the maternity leave and then parental leave?
Would it be okay if I directly apply for the parental leave after 2 weeks of my baby's birth?

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
Hello,
Do you know if it is required to take the maternity leave and then parental leave?
Would it be okay if I directly apply for the parental leave after 2 weeks of my baby's birth?
Hi. It has been a while since we had our child. I don't remember it works. I believe Parental leave can only be applied after a couple of months of Maternity Leave.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
Are you going to be on implied status during delivery in Ontario? OHIP is usually pne of the bigger issues.

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hello,
Hello,

I will get my PGWP soon and start a job in NOC B category. I will have only 1 year work permit. I am pregnant now. When I gave birth, can I take maternity leave because of birth?or I should work full time 1 year without break. What are the rights for pregnant woman who has only 1 year work permit. If you know could you please answer me? Thank you so much.

tinu28111987

Nov 1, 2017
Hello,

I will get my PGWP soon and start a job in NOC B category. I will have only 1 year work permit. I am pregnant now. When I gave birth, can I take maternity leave because of birth?or I should work full time 1 year without break. What are the rights for pregnant woman who has only 1 year work permit. If you know could you please answer me? Thank you so much.
Hello
Congratulations for the job and good news
I have read somewhere that maternity leave days are not counted as work experience so you might want to recheck that.
I'm not sure about the rights of pregnant women as such.
Also, when you have a baby, you will need to take leave for recovery. How will you be able to work full time after delivery.

When is your due date and date on which you will complete 1 year?
You can take 2 or 3 weeks of maternity leave and resume work. But it will be difficult though.

All the best

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hello
Congratulations for the job and good news
I have read somewhere that maternity leave days are not counted as work experience so you might want to recheck that.
I'm not sure about the rights of pregnant women as such.
Also, when you have a baby, you will need to take leave for recovery. How will you be able to work full time after delivery.

When is your due date and date on which you will complete 1 year?
You can take 2 or 3 weeks of maternity leave and resume work. But it will be difficult though.

All the best
Hello,

Thank you so much :) My husband is with me. He is going to help me and also I will apply tourist visa for my mother. If she can come, everything will be easier. My due date is middle of February,2021 and I will complete my 1 year on October,2021. I know normally I can take maternity leave but as I've said I will only have 1 year PGWP and to be eligible for express entry I need to work 1 full year but if I take break it will affect my work experience. If the work experience under 1 year CIC doesn't count it. so I wonder that CIC has a rule for these kinds of situation?Can I extend my PGWP or not? Normally PGWP is not extendable.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thank you so much :) My husband is with me. He is going to help me and also I will apply tourist visa for my mother. If she can come, everything will be easier. My due date is middle of February,2021 and I will complete my 1 year on October,2021. I know normally I can take maternity leave but as I've said I will only have 1 year PGWP and to be eligible for express entry I need to work 1 full year but if I take break it will affect my work experience. If the work experience under 1 year CIC doesn't count it. so I wonder that CIC has a rule for these kinds of situation?Can I extend my PGWP or not? Normally PGWP is not extendable.
No time on maternity will not count. It is time at work. You also have to qualify for maternity leave. Not sure if you have worked your 600 hours in the period up to when you take your mat leave. Wouldn’t count on your mother being able to enter Canada. Currently she doesn’t meet the travel restrictions and many of the restrictions are likely going to be around for quite a some time. Would make sure you have a plan B.

tinu28111987

Nov 1, 2017
Hello,

Hello
No pgwp cannot be extended. If you don't want to take maternity leave, you can take your company Vacation days to recover and to take care of the baby. I believe, most companies have 3 weeks of paid vacation.
Since you are getting paid, this will be added as work exp.

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
Hello,

Your rights are the same as any resident of Canada as long as you are legally in the country. However, you must complete a certain number of working hours to be legible for the Maternity Leave payments. Go to Canada website and it shows all rights you have.

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
Hello,

The period you're on Maternity Leave will not count as experience and your PGWP will not be extended.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
No pgwp cannot be extended. If you don't want to take maternity leave, you can take your company Vacation days to recover and to take care of the baby. I believe, most companies have 3 weeks of paid vacation.
Since you are getting paid, this will be added as work exp.
2 weeks is standard for entry level full-time permanent employees. You have to build-up working time before you accumulate vacation days.