+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity Leave

elegant.heena

Star Member
Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I was on maternity leave for about 5 months only...do you think i should wait before applying for citizenship.. i stayed at home...would it affect my residency days assessment....and i will be asked for residence questionnaire and will have to provide proof for that period of time...
which i don't have much ...so please advice should i wait for another 5 months that will cover my maternity leave and them apply for citizenship.. and how much buffer is ample..its already 1 months over for me..

will appreciate your valuable advice...i wish if it were simple procedure to apply..

thanks all...

bbssmm88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
elegant.heena said:
Hello,

I was on maternity leave for about 5 months only...do you think i should wait before applying for citizenship.. i stayed at home...would it affect my residency days assessment....and i will be asked for residence questionnaire and will have to provide proof for that period of time...
which i don't have much ...so please advice should i wait for another 5 months that will cover my maternity leave and them apply for citizenship.. and how much buffer is ample..its already 1 months over for me..

will appreciate your valuable advice...i wish if it were simple procedure to apply..

thanks all...
Hello

If the maternity leave is spent in Canada, then there is no issue with residency calculation. It will still be counted as time towards your residency requirements.

Good luck.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
elegant.heena said:
Hello,

thanks all...
If you are on maternity leave and you are living in Canada and fullfill the residency requirements in regards to apply for citizenship, 1-2 months extra buffer is good.
Just fill in the details in your work/education history that you are on maternity leave/stay at home/homemaker (whatever is relevant).

If RQ is bound to happen, then you can't prevent it.

bbssmm88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Hi

Why do you presume that you may get RQed because of maternity leave? I do not thing it is relevant here; if you spent the leave inside Canada. Many things can trigger RQ, most of those factors we do not even know; it is all guessing. So, I suggest that you apply if you meet residency requirement and the buffer time is yours to decide, 1460 days in the last 6 years is what required by law. Be positive and good luck.

andykumar

Dec 31, 2016
My wife had three different maternity leaves in the last six years, all 12 months each. She did not get RQ or anything.

Less than a month from delivery to AOR, a week to IP, one month to a test invite, and test date a month later.