+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity Leave Service Canada Forum

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Is there any forum where i can ask questions about applying maternity leave in canada? @canuck78
Call

1-800-206-7218
They can check your employment records to see if you have the required hours
It’s not just applying , you must have the required hours . If you’re out by .5hrs , the claim will be denied . That’s why when they find out they are pregnant one tends to work a lot of hours to bump up their payments.
If one is short hours there is NO appeal process . The hours required are set by law

Sonalkang18

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
Thank you @canuck78 for your reply. I have enough hours to apply for maternity leave. Working since start of my pregnancy for 37.5 hours every week. My last day of work was april 8th,2022. My due date is in next 2 weeks.

Two things i would need assistance :

1. While applying for maternity, i need to give first and last name. My last name is given name on passport (which is my full name on sin) as well. I don’t have any first name on sin. What should i write in First Name?

2. As my last date of employment was april 8th. Do i need to wait for sometime to apply for maternity leave? Or can i apply right now because on service canada website it says “Apply asap once you stop working”.

The only reason i am confused is due to this condition on service canada website -
“your regular weekly earnings from work have decreased by more than 40% for at least 1 week”.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thank you @canuck78 for your reply. I have enough hours to apply for maternity leave. Working since start of my pregnancy for 37.5 hours every week. My last day of work was april 8th,2022. My due date is in next 2 weeks.

Two things i would need assistance :

1. While applying for maternity, i need to give first and last name. My last name is given name on passport (which is my full name on sin) as well. I don’t have any first name on sin. What should i write in First Name?

2. As my last date of employment was april 8th. Do i need to wait for sometime to apply for maternity leave? Or can i apply right now because on service canada website it says “Apply asap once you stop working”.

The only reason i am confused is due to this condition on service canada website -
“your regular weekly earnings from work have decreased by more than 40% for at least 1 week”.
What name does your employer use ?
They’ll issue a ROE which will match up with your mat leave application.
So the name they have on file for you , is the name you want to use on your application, so it matches in the system . Otherwise your application might not auto process, and be sent to processing to complete .
From my days at EI, I’ve seen where people put XX where there’s no first name
Your employer I believe had 5 days from your last day of work to issue a ROE. Ask HR did they process it electronically? If it’s a paper ROE you need to get the copies and drop one off at Service Canada
You want to apply NOW with your expected due date . So your information is in the system . The service standard is to auto process your claim in 28 days.

Last edited:

Sonalkang18

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
What name does your employer use ?
They’ll issue a ROE which will match up with your mat leave application.
So the name they have on file for you , is the name you want to use on your application, so it matches in the system . Otherwise your application might not auto process, and be sent to processing to complete .
From my days at EI, I’ve seen where people put XX where there’s no first name
Your employer I believe had 5 days from your last day of work to issue a ROE. Ask HR did they process it electronically? If it’s a paper ROE you need to get the copies and drop one off at Service Canada
You want to apply NOW with your expected due date . So your information is in the system . The service standard is to auto process your claim in 28 days.
Thankyou for your reply. I have applied for maternity leave. Service canada has suggested me to put X in first name for now. They also advised I don’t have to wait for roe.Employer can send roe in next few days as they have 5 days to issue roe after payperiod.

I already have my service canada account however Do i still need access code to see my claim?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thankyou for your reply. I have applied for maternity leave. Service canada has suggested me to put X in first name for now. They also advised I don’t have to wait for roe.Employer can send roe in next few days as they have 5 days to issue roe after payperiod.

I already have my service canada account however Do i still need access code to see my claim?
You don’t have to wait for the ROE as mentioned . When you apply for benefits , your information will sit there and wait for the ROE to land on your application. Then it’ll start to process .
When the ROE lands onto your application it’ll start to calculate your benefit payments determined by how many hours you worked in the preceding qualifying period -
Yes. You’ll need the access code to log in and see your claim . It’s four digits from what I remember and it’ll arrive in the mail.
Put that aside . If you ever need to call into EI they’ll ask for that when they go thru confidentiality on your account
Sounds like you have everything in order .

Last edited: