+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity considered "social assistance"?

tschellsi

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
I want to apply for my maternity benefits soon but I'm also sponsoring my husband for PR and one of the reasons someone may not be able to sponsor is if they are 'receiving social assistance for reasons other than disability'. Does maternity benefits fall under the category of social assistance?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
No, it’s considered part of EI which is not social assistance (you paid into it and are receiving benefits you paid for).

kingfintan

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
Please I wanna know if you were approve to sponsor your spouse when you were on maternity leave, and what did you submit. Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please I wanna know if you were approve to sponsor your spouse when you were on maternity leave, and what did you submit. Thank you
Entirely dependent on both your finances. If you both have savings or if you are working you should be fine. Maternity benefits are normally a fraction of a person’s income so people need to save before they go on maternity leave but it is a temporary situation so a person will likely return to full-time work.

kingfintan

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
Entirely dependent on both your finances. If you both have savings or if you are working you should be fine. Maternity benefits are normally a fraction of a person’s income so people need to save before they go on maternity leave but it is a temporary situation so a person will likely return to full-time work.
Thank you for the heads up, I’m actually an international student and I work part time with the manitoba government , but she works part time too until just last week when she got a full time job at prairie mountain health. She is an health care aide. But she is due to put to bed in The last week of October, mind you she resumes her new full time on the 30th of this month. That means she will only be working for one month and half before she delivers and go on mat leave. Would she be able to sponsor while on mat leave or do you suggest she cut her mat leave short and resume work again.

I met her November 2019, and she moved in with me February 2020, but she didn’t have any bill in that address except only for her pay stub and joint account. When she got pregnant we decided to move to a new apartment in April were we have all lease, bills and everything in our name. My problem is can we submit our app in February 2021 for common law, or just wait till April 2021 when we have everything.

We are also thinking of getting married civil marriage for now in November, then we will do the big wedding in 2022 when I graduate. We are thinking of doin this maybe it will be easier so we can submit our app when we get a marriage certificate. And save us from the stress of having to show one year of bills. Though if we use marriage we will still have about 8 months worth of bills together.

Please I know you a guru and I will need your special advise sir!

kingfintan

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
Please reply @canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the heads up, I’m actually an international student and I work part time with the manitoba government , but she works part time too until just last week when she got a full time job at prairie mountain health. She is an health care aide. But she is due to put to bed in The last week of October, mind you she resumes her new full time on the 30th of this month. That means she will only be working for one month and half before she delivers and go on mat leave. Would she be able to sponsor while on mat leave or do you suggest she cut her mat leave short and resume work again.

I met her November 2019, and she moved in with me February 2020, but she didn’t have any bill in that address except only for her pay stub and joint account. When she got pregnant we decided to move to a new apartment in April were we have all lease, bills and everything in our name. My problem is can we submit our app in February 2021 for common law, or just wait till April 2021 when we have everything.

We are also thinking of getting married civil marriage for now in November, then we will do the big wedding in 2022 when I graduate. We are thinking of doin this maybe it will be easier so we can submit our app when we get a marriage certificate. And save us from the stress of having to show one year of bills. Though if we use marriage we will still have about 8 months worth of bills together.

Please I know you a guru and I will need your special advise sir!
Will she even qualify for maternity benefits? Have you checked to see that she has worked enough hours to qualify? Maternity benefits are not automatic and not everyone qualifies for them. Need for bed rest could change at any time so she may not be able to work the whole month. If you can prove that you earn enough a couple you may qualify. Also depends on how much savings you have.

You have very little proof of being common law from February. It would best to wait until April but it is up to you what you decide. Is a civil wedding be considered typical based on your culture of origin? It would be best if you at least had some friends or family there.

kingfintan

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
Will she even qualify for maternity benefits? Have you checked to see that she has worked enough hours to qualify? Maternity benefits are not automatic and not everyone qualifies for them. Need for bed rest could change at any time so she may not be able to work the whole month. If you can prove that you earn enough a couple you may qualify. Also depends on how much savings you have.

You have very little proof of being common law from February. It would best to wait until April but it is up to you what you decide. Is a civil wedding be considered typical based on your culture of origin? It would be best if you at least had some friends or family there.
Hello thanks fir the reply, yes she got over 700 hours from her previous job which she just had to quit last week because she got a new job at the hospital. So she qualifies for EI.

Am an international student and I work part time, can she sponsor me if she is on EI, and we have a savings of about 8,000 on our joint account, and we have all our bills coming out from that same joint account. My culture permit civil marriage and we have booked for our marriage in November, her mom and few cousins would be there, and I will have 2 of my friends there. My family are back home. Is that okay? We plan to do the big wedding ending of next year when the whole covid is gone so my family can attend.

I just wanna know if she can sponsor me if she is on EI and me working part time and studying. And I could get a letter from my brother who is a professor at Harvard university stating that he can help us because he sponsors my education here in Canada,Would that be ideal too.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello thanks fir the reply, yes she got over 700 hours from her previous job which she just had to quit last week because she got a new job at the hospital. So she qualifies for EI.

Am an international student and I work part time, can she sponsor me if she is on EI, and we have a savings of about 8,000 on our joint account, and we have all our bills coming out from that same joint account. My culture permit civil marriage and we have booked for our marriage in November, her mom and few cousins would be there, and I will have 2 of my friends there. My family are back home. Is that okay? We plan to do the big wedding ending of next year when the whole covid is gone so my family can attend.

I just wanna know if she can sponsor me if she is on EI and me working part time and studying. And I could get a letter from my brother who is a professor at Harvard university stating that he can help us because he sponsors my education here in Canada,Would that be ideal too.

Thanks
Think you should be fine when it comes ti finances if you include your savings, your part-time job and the fact that she is receiving EI maternity benefits. Would also include professional plans after graduation and what level of income is typical in your field. You are in a better position than manh and have both been working

In terms of tbe wedding I would explain that you want to get married before the baby is born but due to covid plans have to be limitted to a small civil ceremony. Would make sure to take pictures of the ceremony and all the guests. If you have small reception at home or a meal at a restuarant after the ceremony would also take pictures.