+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Masters from Canada. ECA required for undergrads?

SnakePlissken

Star Member
Apr 26, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
Feb-10-2018
AOR Received.
Mar-20-2018
I have a masters degree from a Canadian university and I have claimed points only for that during my expression of interest application. However i have a non Canadian bachelors degree as well. I have now received ITA. Do I need to get ECA done for the Bachelors degree as well, as i hadn't originally claimed points for this? I have to mention it on my application under educational history. Thanks in advance!

chantal111

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
SnakePlissken said:
I have a masters degree from a Canadian university and I have claimed points only for that during my expression of interest application. However i have a non Canadian bachelors degree as well. I have now received ITA. Do I need to get ECA done for the Bachelors degree as well, as i hadn't originally claimed points for this? I have to mention it on my application under educational history. Thanks in advance!

No need for ECA.u already have Canadian degree. Bachelor will not add any point for u..

KingOfGoodTimes

Mar 10, 2015
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 July 2015
Nomination.....
ITA : 26 June 2015
AOR Received.
EE: 04 July 2015 (Auto AOR)
Med's Done....
EE: Passed 15-July-2015
Passport Req..
DEC 24th :)
LANDED..........
Jan 2016
Are you guys sure of this ? I am wondering the same , Cos I have ITA under FSW and i am currently working with PGWP.

I find the following in cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-how.asp
"you need an ECA if:
you are being invited to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (it will tell you this on your invitation letter) and you were educated outside Canada, or
if you were awarded points for your foreign education (no matter which program you were invited to apply under)."

I also got point for Skill Transferability - Education :50
As per the this cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp#a3

C.Skill Transferability factors under education

With good/strong official languages proficiency and a post-secondary degree - 50 points.

but if you read the points breakdown at the end of the page

it goes like this ,

Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer (CLB levels 6,7 & 8 )

so one has to have "two" post-secondary program credentials and one of them has to be more than 3 years( meaning the undergrad in most cases!)

Now I am wondering if having a Canadian Master's automatically validate our undergrad?

curious_123

Jun 19, 2014
KingOfGoodTimes said:
Are you guys sure of this ? I am wondering the same , Cos I have ITA under FSW and i am currently working with PGWP.

I find the following in cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-how.asp
"you need an ECA if:
you are being invited to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (it will tell you this on your invitation letter) and you were educated outside Canada, or
if you were awarded points for your foreign education (no matter which program you were invited to apply under)."

I also got point for Skill Transferability - Education :50
As per the this cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp#a3

C.Skill Transferability factors under education

With good/strong official languages proficiency and a post-secondary degree - 50 points.

but if you read the points breakdown at the end of the page

it goes like this ,

Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer (CLB levels 6,7 & 8 )

so one has to have "two" post-secondary program credentials and one of them has to be more than 3 years( meaning the undergrad in most cases!)

Now I am wondering if having a Canadian Master's automatically validate our undergrad?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

As per this
Education

You must have:

a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, or
an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC to show your foreign education is equal to Canadian education standards.

Ibyt

Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I have both Bachelors and Masters outside Canada and I did ECA for only my masters since that is what I am claiming points for. So same goes to highest qualification from a Canadian University as that is what you are claiming points for.

I am including my bachelors too.

I dont think you should worry.

oasis.gc1

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
If not ECA. What is the best way to prove Canadian Education? I recently completed my studies and my convocation and transcript will only be available in June 2015

Ibyt

Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will like to imagine your university will be able to provide a letter that you have completed/been awarded the degree.

kakhileshreddy

Jan 6, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
CELPIP-spouse-sept 23- same day submitted
AOR Received.
sept 14
Med's Request
sept 24-passed/recv'd
Med's Done....
sept 24
Passport Req..
FEB 24
just a question

i have done my post-secondary advanced diploma here in Canada and completed my bachelors degree in computers 4 years from India ECA is done for this..

so what do i need to select in education factors

please advise its urgent...

--Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.
--Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute