+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Master's and Staying in Canada

mooskan

Dec 4, 2016
Hello everyone,
I'm a 21 year old university student from Turkey. I'm doing my bachelor's degree in foreign language (specifically English) education and I want to do a master's degree in Canada and live there after I graduate and I have some questions.

1. I don't think I'd have much of a chance as an ESL teacher in Canada considering English is not my first language so I want to do my master's in a slightly different field. I'm thinking Educational Psychology, Counselling, or Educational Sciences. My actual dream is to become a research assisstant / teach at a university in the future. Do you think this is possible? Would my chances be higher as a university lecturer than as an ESL teacher?

2. Immigration. Like I said, I want to live in Canada. From what I've read online there's this Express Entry system. Just when I thought I got it I saw a thread on this forum where a member mentioned how each province has their own in-demand professions and you need to find a province that is open to your occupation and doesn't require a job offer. Does that apply to people who study in Canada? Do I need to find a university in a province where teachers/research assisstants/lecturers are in demand?

3. Do you have any recommendations for me? Regarding universities, programs, job opportunities, provinces, etc. My tuition and fee limit is around $15,000 per year.

Thank you all in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. University lecturer positions are very sought after in Canada (i.e. more applicants than positions). Realistically, you'd need to get a PhD to have a chance at a university lecturer position - and even then, it would be far from guaranteed. You can still be an ESL teacher without English being your first language (I know a couple of people who are). No idea how difficult it is to secure an ESL job - but obviously this is typically in a very different pay grade than a university lecturer.

2. Each province has its own rules, I would recommend you join the PNP section of the forum and read through the discussions there. You should also check out the CEC stream.

3. If you want to go the lecturer route, you'll need to go with a top Canadian university (e.g. University of Toronto, Queens, McMaster). Not sure your degree is doable at a top university for the budget you've indicated. You should be able to sort this out on their web sites.

mooskan

Dec 4, 2016
scylla said:
1. University lecturer positions are very sought after in Canada (i.e. more applicants than positions). Realistically, you'd need to get a PhD to have a chance at a university lecturer position - and even then, it would be far from guaranteed. You can still be an ESL teacher without English being your first language (I know a couple of people who are). No idea how difficult it is to secure an ESL job - but obviously this is typically in a very different pay grade than a university lecturer.

2. Each province has its own rules, I would recommend you join the PNP section of the forum and read through the discussions there. You should also check out the CEC stream.

3. If you want to go the lecturer route, you'll need to go with a top Canadian university (e.g. University of Toronto, Queens, McMaster). Not sure your degree is doable at a top university for the budget you've indicated. You should be able to sort this out on their web sites.
Thank you for the answers!

What do you mean by the PNP section?

Also, say I did my master's in Canada and found a related job that is on the skilled occupation list but it's not in demand in that province. Do I still get to work that job and live there? That's what I was asking in my second question.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mooskan said:
Thank you for the answers!

What do you mean by the PNP section?

Also, say I did my master's in Canada and found a related job that is on the skilled occupation list but it's not in demand in that province. Do I still get to work that job and live there? That's what I was asking in my second question.
PNP section of the forum is here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/provincial-nomination-program-immigration-b6.0/

mooskan

Dec 4, 2016
Thank you. But I still don't understand if you need to be nominated by a province to be eligible. Can you do it without the nomination of a province? Because I don't know if provicial nomination is different than the Express Entry system.