+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying & sponsoring a Filipina working in Taiwan

jrsmith

Nov 2, 2015
I'm wondering what the best way to go about doing this would be. I am planning to civilly marry my fiancee at a Taiwanese marriage registrar. Is there anything I need to be aware of if I try and sponsor her and the Philippine government doesn't know about it (as it was performed by Taiwanese authorities)?

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
Is she considered "married" in the Philippines? I know it's next-to-impossible to get a divorce there.

Whatever her status in the Philippines, don't lie or hide it from CIC.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jrsmith said:
She was never married. I was married before. We're now divorced.
Legally, there is nothing wrong with you two marrying in Taiwan, CIC does recognize that. Its all a matter how local Manila CIC office will look at this marriage due to the strict religious Catholic culture of the country. You may want to ask your question on Manila thread on this forum, perhaps people there can be of more help.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/new-manila-visa-office-philippines-spousefamily-timeline-t325837.1935.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spouse-family-class-timeline-manila-visa-office-philippines-t40680.65505.html

jrsmith

Nov 2, 2015
I don't think those threads will apply as I would be selecting to have my application processed through Hong Kong. Would Filipino authorities need to be involved at all?

"If your spouse is residing in a country other than the country of their nationality, you can pick which of the two visa offices you want" from here: canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
CIC will decide for themselves which visa office to send the application to, no matter what you decide. I would guess Hong Kong would be chosen because she is resident in Taiwan, but they could pick her country of citizenship.
However, your marriage will be recognized. The visa office is in Manila, but they follow Canadian law. She hasn't been married before, so is free to marry you.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jrsmith said:
I don't think those threads will apply as I would be selecting to have my application processed through Hong Kong. Would Filipino authorities need to be involved at all?

"If your spouse is residing in a country other than the country of their nationality, you can pick which of the two visa offices you want" from here: canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html
As canadianwoman mentioned, you no longer have the ability to choose visa office for processing of your application. Theoretically either HK or Manila can be chosen, however, HKVO is already overloaded recently due to the closure of Beijing VO (for spousal applications) and since she is a philippino citizen I would actually guess it would go to Manila