+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying someone on a work permit

workpermit777

Oct 15, 2018
Hello, I am looking to apply for inland spousal sponsorship. I am currently holding PR but my girlfriend is in Canada on a 6 month work permit as a cook which is expiring within the next 2 months. The company she is with is not allowing her to extend her work permit. We are going to get married within the next 2-3 weeks and will start living together after that. Will an inland sponsorship be approved in this case? Will her work permit turn into an open work permit until a decision is made with her sponsorship is approved or not? If its possible to do an inland sponsorship? Will she have to return back to India or can stay here longer even if work permit expires once we are married?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you compliant with your RO? You will have to apply for an OWP with your inland spousal sponsorship. You can't continue working after your work permit expires but you will be able to start working after around 4 months when you get OWP. I would suggest you change your status to visitor just before your WP expires to make sure you have valid status just in case your application gets returned if there is a problem with your application.

workpermit777

Oct 15, 2018
Are you compliant with your RO? You will have to apply for an OWP with your inland spousal sponsorship. You can't continue working after your work permit expires but you will be able to start working after around 4 months when you get OWP. I would suggest you change your status to visitor just before your WP expires to make sure you have valid status just in case your application gets returned if there is a problem with your application.
Yes I will be applying for an OWP with inland spousal sponsorship. So my fiance will only be able to work after OWP is approved and then we wait until inland spousal sponsorship is approved to apply for PR? Also, I heard it is very hard to prove legitimacy of marriage for inland sponsorship. Is that true? And if so, how do you prove the marriage is legit? We are currently not living together but will be after marriage. Lets say I put in the application for OWP along with inland spousal. How long will it take to all process? Her visa expires January 24. Will it be enough time for them to extend the visa so she can stay in Canada while the whole application procedure occurs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes she can't work between the end of her work permit and when she gets OWP. You should get OWP around 4 months after applying for sponsorship. You have to prove inland marriage the same as outland marriage. Pictures, communication records, shared bills, etc. Before her visa expires she should change to visitor status especially if you haven't received AOR. It becomes a problem if your application is returned and she is out of status.

workpermit777

Oct 15, 2018
How do I change her work permit to visitor status?
Yes she can't work between the end of her work permit and when she gets OWP. You should get OWP around 4 months after applying for sponsorship. You have to prove inland marriage the same as outland marriage. Pictures, communication records, shared bills, etc. Before her visa expires she should change to visitor status especially if you haven't received AOR. It becomes a problem if your application is returned and she is out of status.

How do I change her work permit to visitor status? And I was told once you put the inland spousal application she does not have to leave Canada even if her work visa expires. Is this true?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Change it online. Yes the OWP part of the inland sponsorship gives her implied status but if your application gets returned because there was an error or something missing you would lose the implied status. If you are out of status you can't apply for the OWP. Changing to visitor status, unless you already have AOR, ensures she is in status even if the application gets returned. Applications get returned all the time for missing dates/signatures, not updated forms, etc.

workpermit777

Oct 15, 2018
Change it online. Yes the OWP part of the inland sponsorship gives her implied status but if your application gets returned because there was an error or something missing you would lose the implied status. If you are out of status you can't apply for the OWP. Changing to visitor status, unless you already have AOR, ensures she is in status even if the application gets returned. Applications get returned all the time for missing dates/signatures, not updated forms, etc.
What does AOR mean? Also how long does it take to change work permit to visitor online? what documents are needed? Is it easy to get approved?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
AOR: Acknowledgement of receipt. You can change status online that day. Not sure if any or what documents are needed.

workpermit777

Oct 15, 2018
AOR: Acknowledgement of receipt. You can change status online that day. Not sure if any or what documents are needed.
I have not applied any application or not. I mean can her work permit change to visitor visa even before the marriage? Like if we do it right now and apply for inland after, is that fine?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why would you do that? Isn't she still working? Keep the working visa until you need to change it. You don't have to wait until the last day but it must be after she finishes work.

workpermit777

Oct 15, 2018
Why would you do that? Isn't she still working? Keep the working visa until you need to change it. You don't have to wait until the last day but it must be after she finishes work.
yes she is still working but I mean like once her work permit expires I should apply for visitor visa right away?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to apply before her work permit expires. You can't do it after it expires or you won't end up with implied status. You can even do it on the last day of the work permit but don't wait until late at night. Would do it on her last day of work.

workpermit777

Oct 15, 2018
You need to apply before her work permit expires. You can't do it after it expires or you won't end up with implied status. You can even do it on the last day of the work permit but don't wait until late at night. Would do it on her last day of work.
Do I need to explain why I want to change it to visitor visa or it doesnt matter? She just puts in an application like any person?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do I need to explain why I want to change it to visitor visa or it doesnt matter? She just puts in an application like any person?
If you need to give a reason just say that you have submitted inland spousal sponsorship. If you haven't submitted yet explain that you are in the process of preparing inland sponsorship application.