+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying into Canada

tonychan1219

Apr 12, 2019
I wanted information on how my partner and I would go about applying for citizenship for myself once we marry. As of now, we are engaged and are to be married before the year is out. However, I plan on moving to Canada (specifically N.B.) within the coming months. I was told by another lawyer that I could apply for spousal sponsorship even while already living in Canada. Is this legitimate and are there any problems I might face once this plan is set into motion? If its longer than thought, would it be easier to get an open work permit once I move to N.B., and if so, would it even be possible to live in Canada while I wait for either of the forms to process. Any information is greatly appreciated!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I wanted information on how my partner and I would go about applying for citizenship for myself once we marry. As of now, we are engaged and are to be married before the year is out. However, I plan on moving to Canada (specifically N.B.) within the coming months. I was told by another lawyer that I could apply for spousal sponsorship even while already living in Canada. Is this legitimate and are there any problems I might face once this plan is set into motion? If its longer than thought, would it be easier to get an open work permit once I move to N.B., and if so, would it even be possible to live in Canada while I wait for either of the forms to process. Any information is greatly appreciated!
You don't apply for citizenship. Assuming your partner is Canadian, start here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html.

You can't just get an OWP. Only people in very specific circumstances qualify for OWPs.