+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445


Discussion in 'Express Entry / Expression of Interest' started by Emma_voodle, Jun 19, 2017.

  1. Hi there,

    I have a quick question.
    I am UK married but separated (not legally) - he lives in the UK and I live in Canada and am hoping to apply for PR. He is NOT.

    My question is, do I list myself as married? Will this cause issues when initially applying - and will I have to provide all of his assessments (WES etc)?
    Or should I list myself as legally separated and work on getting the separation? Will I need the separation notice to send off the initial application, or will it be asked for during the processing?

  2. If you list yourself as married you will be required to provide your spouses' medical and police certificates post ITA
  3. but her question is, does she have to list herself as married as they are separated?
  4. I answered one of her questions, you are free to answer the rest.
  5. You will have to provide proof of your status. If you're single, you don't need to prove that - but if you list yourself as married/separated/divorced, you'll have to provide documentation to prove said status.

    In your case, you'll have to get some form of legal document that states you're separated - this will depend on the jurisdiction you were married in, but it's not a very hard thing to get.
    Emma_voodle likes this.

  6. Thank you 21 Goose,
    Whilst I obtain the separation could I submit a letter of explanation explaining that we are in the process of filing for separation but are yet to receive the official document?
    Is this likely to result in rejection to your knowledge?

  7. Your application will only get processed after you submit all the legal documents supporting your LOE.
    If I were you, I would wait for all the documents and then process my application in 1 go.
  8. There is no real legal separation process in Canada. Once you are living apart (and even sometimes while still living together) and have separted your lives, you are considered legally separated in Canada.

    You should file for divorce so that you have solid proof to show if IRCC requests further documentation.

  9. The thing is, my current work visa runs out on Wednesday so I'm counting on a draw on Wednesday and to have everything submitted the same day so I can get a bridging VISA. (i'm in this tight situation because of WES ugh...). My husband has now sent off the documents for the separation after my request today.

    I'm hoping I can provide scanned copies of the forms filled out, one of his recent bills with his UK address on (to prove we live separately) and a letter of explanation that it has been applied for but not yet finalised.

    Hoping for the best.
  10. Even if there is a draw on Wednesday, it could take you up to 24 hours to receive ITA. I wouldn't suggest you count on this.

  11. Hi,
    I am in the same boat like you. I provided divorce deed which is prepared by my lawyer.
  12. I submitted my documents as a legally seperated. And waiting for divorce certificate
  13. Can u share the format or structure for that deed, i am awaiting my divorce as well so i can submit the same till my divorce gets finalized.

Share This Page