Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thank you so much.
Please let me know if i understood it.

So after my oath and was given my citizenship certificate I can go to registry and change my last name to married name then go to service canada to change my SIN and my health care card then after acquiring all those new cards with married name then i can go apply for passport usig my married name,....

Please let me know if this is correct. By the way im using marriage certificate from philippines. Thanks.
After your oath and received certificate, you go to your provincial service office, (Ontario Service for example) and change your Driver license and Health Card to your new marriage last name with your marriage certificate. Make sure you have the translated copy of marriage certificate if there is no English/French on it. Once you have your DL and health card updated and gotten the new IDs in hand, you go to Canada Service Passport Office in person and apply for passport with your marriage name on it showing your marriage certificate and citizenship certificate. Your ID's with your marriage name will support your request to have marriage name on Canadian passport.

Freckle

Mar 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just change the driver license and health card to your marriage name. Once you have that done, go apply for passport with your new IDs, along with marriage certificate to support last name change on passport.
I am reverting back to using my maiden name after the divorce that happened 6 years ago. This doesn't apply in my case and after contacting basically all the services I need to:

- change my driver license and other cards to my maiden name based on divorce certificate
- apply for a new citizenship certificate to reflect my maiden name
- after I receive the new certificate apply for passport

Passport Canada (I called twice and went in person once) said I need new Citizenship Certificate to apply for a passport in my maiden name.

Hope this info helps to other people who are in my situation.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I am reverting back to using my maiden name after the divorce that happened 6 years ago. This doesn't apply in my case and after contacting basically all the services I need to:

- change my driver license and other cards to my maiden name based on divorce certificate
- apply for a new citizenship certificate to reflect my maiden name
- after I receive the new certificate apply for passport

Passport Canada (I called twice and went in person once) said I need new Citizenship Certificate to apply for a passport in my maiden name.

Hope this info helps to other people who are in my situation.
Sorry I wasn't aware that your Canadian certificate has your marriage name instead of maiden name. I thought you had your maiden name on it all along.

Since your citizenship certificate has your married name on it instead of maiden name, then you have no choice but to do a legal name change to get your maiden name on the certificate.

This is why I didn't want my spouse to have married name on PR card or Canadian citizenship. I don't want her to go through the steps you are going through. It's way too much hassle trying to revert to maiden name if needed. In my opinion, it is best for everyone to keep their maiden on their PR card / citizenship. It is an equivalent of having a Canadian birth certificate. Everyone is pretty much born with their maiden names. Just show marriage certificate or divorce papers to easily switch names on IDs (DL, Health card, passport) without resorting to any legal name change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freckle

antonette28

Mar 17, 2016
Question if you have maiden name on citizenship certificate then you change your maiden name to married name after oath.... Do you still need to inform the IRCC?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Question if you have maiden name on citizenship certificate then you change your maiden name to married name after oath.... Do you still need to inform the IRCC?
What have you changed to married name after oath? If you are only changing your Driver license / health card to reflect marriage name. The answer is no. IRCC does not need to know about it until you apply for your Canada Passport to show your marriage name, instead of maiden name shown on certificate. IRCC will automatically know when you apply for your Canada passport with your marriage name and it's based on relationship name change, not a legal name change.

Last edited:

Freckle

Mar 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry I wasn't aware that your Canadian certificate has your marriage name instead of maiden name. I thought you had your maiden name on it all along.

Since your citizenship certificate has your married name on it instead of maiden name, then you have no choice but to do a legal name change to get your maiden name on the certificate.

This is why I didn't want my spouse to have married name on PR card or Canadian citizenship. I don't want her to go through the steps you are going through. It's way too much hassle trying to revert to maiden name if needed. In my opinion, it is best for everyone to keep their maiden on their PR card / citizenship. It is an equivalent of having a Canadian birth certificate. Everyone is pretty much born with their maiden names. Just show marriage certificate or divorce papers to easily switch names on IDs (DL, Health card, passport) without resorting to any legal name change.

Vital statistics of my province tell me I don't need to do a legal name change because I am going back to the last name I have on my birth certificate and the last name was changed based on the relationship. I'd rather do a legal name change than deal with certified copies and translations of all my birth, marriage, and divorce certificates. :/ I agree, it is a hassle to revert back to a maiden name :'(

Thank you for your help @screech339 !