+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married LGBT couple

lelebo1225

Jan 22, 2024
Hi!
I haven't seen anyone with the same situation yet. Please enlighten me.
For context, we are both women in a relationship and have been living together for almost 2 years in the GCC. We plan to get married in Denmark in late May 2024. I am planning to apply for uni hopefully for January 2026 intake.
Since technically we will be married once i decided to apply for my program, what i wanted to ask is this:
Same sex marriage is not allowed both in our current country of residence and our home country (our passport is for this country in asia). Will it be honored by immigration if i put my status as married? Can we apply together with our EU marriage certificate? Other than the usual proof of relationship, do we need anything else?
I know we still have a bit of time but as I am clueless with the process, i just need clarity and insight on this matter.

Thank you everyone in advance!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi!
I haven't seen anyone with the same situation yet. Please enlighten me.
For context, we are both women in a relationship and have been living together for almost 2 years in the GCC. We plan to get married in Denmark in late May 2024. I am planning to apply for uni hopefully for January 2026 intake.
Since technically we will be married once i decided to apply for my program, what i wanted to ask is this:
Same sex marriage is not allowed both in our current country of residence and our home country (our passport is for this country in asia). Will it be honored by immigration if i put my status as married? Can we apply together with our EU marriage certificate? Other than the usual proof of relationship, do we need anything else?
I know we still have a bit of time but as I am clueless with the process, i just need clarity and insight on this matter.

Thank you everyone in advance!
Unfortuantely new rules mean no SOWP for your spouse unless doing masters or PhD. Proof of common law status would be fine for Canada.

Reactions: scylla and YVR123