+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married in Sept 2019

Jon0960

Jun 16, 2019
So basically me (Canadian) and my fiance (American) are getting married in September 2019. Would it be alright to send in our application a few days after the wedding? Or would it be better to send it a month later etc. Thanks in advance.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You can send it in the day you're married if you like. Waiting a month won't make a difference.

Waiting two years will - couples who have been married two years or longer are not asked for much (if any) relationship proof. Anything less than that and you'll be asked for proof.

Last edited:

smrtphusr

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
Southwestern Ontario
So basically me (Canadian) and my fiance (American) are getting married in September 2019. Would it be alright to send in our application a few days after the wedding? Or would it be better to send it a month later etc. Thanks in advance.
You need to submit marriage certificate anyway so most likely cant send in app right away

Jon0960

Jun 16, 2019
You can send it in the day you're married if you like. Waiting a month won't make a difference.

Waiting two years will - couples who have been married two years or longer are not asked for much (if any) relationship proof. Anything less than that and you'll be asked for proof.
Perfect thank you.

lion.com

Jul 16, 2019
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
07-11-2018
AOR Received.
16-01-2019
File Transfer...
04-07-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-02-2019
Passport Req..
17-10-2019
your fiancé is American, not much to worry about even if you send it on the only wedding date. main that relation is genuine and that’s all what matters:)

Reactions: Jon0960

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Marriage Certificate or Marriage License?
Marriage certificate. If you just send the marriage license the application will most likely be returned as incomplete.

Jon0960

Jun 16, 2019
Marriage certificate. If you just send the marriage license the application will most likely be returned as incomplete.
I appreciate the heads up, will definitely look into that after the wedding! Thank you!

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Yes she is changing her last name to mine.
I would advise getting her passport and other ID's updated to her new name BEFORE you submit, otherwise you'll have to wait until it's all finished and she has her PR card, plus get a new PR card with her updated name. I know it adds extra time on to how long you have to wait to submit but it does simplify things a bit

Jon0960

Jun 16, 2019
I would advise getting her passport and other ID's updated to her new name BEFORE you submit, otherwise you'll have to wait until it's all finished and she has her PR card, plus get a new PR card with her updated name. I know it adds extra time on to how long you have to wait to submit but it does simplify things a bit
Ahh I see where you're coming from. That's actually what we're likely going to do. Get her name changed over, her driver license, passport etc. all switched over and THEN send in the application. I'm thinking it'll only take an extra few weeks or so to get everything finalized for her name and then submit the application package.

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Ahh I see where you're coming from. That's actually what we're likely going to do. Get her name changed over, her driver license, passport etc. all switched over and THEN send in the application. I'm thinking it'll only take an extra few weeks or so to get everything finalized for her name and then submit the application package.
Drivers license, social security, and passport are the 3 important ones. She only needs the passport for the application but as an American those are the big ones that need to get changed first before she can do any other name changes. As long as you have your marriage certificate, that qualifies as legal proof of name change, at least in most places, so that makes it easy at least. The only annoying this is that to get a new passport you'll have to send in the marriage certificate (the original), which they'll eventually mail back to you but mine took an extra two weeks after I had my new passport in hand. Make a copy of your certificate as soon as you get it so you can submit your PR app as soon as you have her new passport back :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm not sure why you are saying they would have to either change names before or wait until it's finished. It's perfectly fine to change names mid-process and update IRCC. It doesn't cause any delays.