+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married couple conditions to keep PR

Endriking

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
If me and my husband are awarded PR through express skilled labor, do we have to stay married to keep the PR? My husband has the noic work experience even though I excel in languages. I can only qualify through him. But our relationship has been deteriorating and we are considering a divorce. We get 450 points together so he would apply for me with no intention to live in canada because he is a Norwegian citizen. If we both get a PR, do we have to keep staying married in order for me to keep my PR and eventually get a passport?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well no but since he is the primary applicant he would have to finish the landing process. Is he also willing to do that?

Endriking

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Depending on how much time the landing process takes. He works but he would take a couple of weeks off from work for me.

Endriking

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Excuse my ignorance. Is the landing process just a process to fly together to Canada and get admitted into the country?

I want to make sure I am not dependent through him like if it was family immigration. Which obligates you to stay married.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Correct, you have to land in Canada to finish the PR process. You'll become a PR with no restrictions due to being the dependent in the application.

Also, you are mistaken regarding family sponsorship, the two year rule was abolished last year.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Excuse my ignorance. Is the landing process just a process to fly together to Canada and get admitted into the country?

I want to make sure I am not dependent through him like if it was family immigration. Which obligates you to stay married.
Sorry to hear that you're having difficulties, but it's nice to know that your husband is still willing to help you in this process.

Landing is literally just coming in through a port of entry (e.g. airport) and talking with Immigration Officers who then sign your necessary documents to officially make you a permanent resident. It takes about an hour (depending on how many other persons are also coming through Immigration at that time, through that port of entry), and your husband would be able to fly out again the same day. As the primary applicant, your husband has to 'land' first or alongside you. But, once you 'land' and officially become PRs, your statuses are no longer tied to each other. You could get divorced the next day and it should technically be fine and not affect your status in anyway.

Endriking

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Omg, what country is this? Hahaha
Norway obliges you to stay married for 3 years before you can get a PR. I can’t believe how progressive Canada is. I wish I had heard earlier about it’s immigration system.