+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married but want to file as Single - how to proceed?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Misrepresentation is punishable for a 5-year ban

Jkal

Jul 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
EE
IELTS Request
R9 L8 S7 W6.5
Passport Req..
20-04-2016
Not possible. Do not declare yourself as single in the profile. It will be treated as hiding information.

adibright

Feb 28, 2013
No don't want to mis-represent....but I will not have access to spouse documents etc and me only will be looking for immigration, at least for the time being...

Is this a possible case?

vishal shrestha

Apr 18, 2014
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You must give the concrete reason for why your spouse is not coming to Canada with you. Besides, POF and MR is mandatory whether they are accompanying you or not.

haznac

Jan 29, 2015
Izmir, Turkey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
adibright said:
No don't want to mis-represent....but I will not have access to spouse documents etc and me only will be looking for immigration, at least for the time being...

Is this a possible case?
If you do not mention a family member in your application, regardless of currently coming with you to Canada or not, you will never be able to take them to Canada in the future. But if you mention them and say they are not accompanying you to Canada at this time, then in the future, you can bring them to Canada.

wifedoctor

Apr 26, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2015
AOR Received.
17-06-2015
Med's Done....
02-07-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
adibright said:
I am married but want to file as a Single. Possible? how to proceed?
I'm actually in the same boat, married to canadian spouse, and applied for PR through the spousal route, but processing is 18 mo minimum.
So I'm also applying through EE as I have a potential LMIA offer, and this route will be faster.

I would mention I'm married, but specify spouse is not accompanying. This way you don't misrepresent.

My question is, would spouse education/language/experience still be required? and if so, would it add any points even if they're not "accompanying"?

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wifedoctor said:
I'm actually in the same boat, married to canadian spouse, and applied for PR through the spousal route, but processing is 18 mo minimum.
So I'm also applying through EE as I have a potential LMIA offer, and this route will be faster.

I would mention I'm married, but specify spouse is not accompanying. This way you don't misrepresent.

My question is, would spouse education/language/experience still be required? and if so, would it add any points even if they're not "accompanying"?
You have to tell them you are married, but you don't have to provide your spouse's education, etc. The thing is, as a married person, you get fewer points for those things on your own, and if your spouse is well-educated, has work experience, and can pass a language test, her points would add to yours, giving you a higher score and a better chance for an ITA. If your spouse doesn't work, isn't well-educated, and doesn't speak English or French, then not adding her scores won't hurt you. But you still only get the points of a married person, even if you are coming to Canada alone.

vinodram

Feb 5, 2015
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottwa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC has its own Background verification process and if they found you are married then, it will be treated as Misrepresentation is punishable for a 5-year ban

It’s not simple to hide the truth

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i have the same situtation. I am married, but I filed an EE profile with the option "spouse not included in application". so under the familly option you say that you are married and you still have an option not to include them in your application.
from what I understand, my spouse can still acompany me to canada, but is not eligable for PR and if he ever deciedes to try and get the PR, he will have to find another way for this.

there are many reasons that situations like this are possible and I don't see why this should be a problem. besides, your spouse is eligable for an open work permit I they decide to come with you , are they not?

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
adibright said:

Is this a possible case?
you still need to access all the information for you spouse, weather they are included or not, or if they are coming with you.. basicaly all the documents you need in both cases are the same

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dan_and said:
You can't just show up at the border with him.
why not?

we are coming from croatia, so he can come to canada on a visitor visa and get one at the point of entry to canada.
i realise he will have to apply for a work permit on his own at some point if he wants to stay and work there ( and he is not sure if he wants to stay or live in canada at this point).

from the glossary on the cic page, it says:
Non-accompanying family members

Related term:
Non-accompanying dependant
Family members who are dependent on the principal applicant but who are not immigrating to Canada. They include a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and the children of a dependent child.

These people must be listed on the principal applicant’s application for permanent residence. They should have a medical exam so they can remain eligible for sponsorship at a later date.

coming to canada on a visitors visa, or coming to canada on a work visa, is not the same as immigrating. and from this definition, it is clear ( and even encuridged ) that familly members make preparations for possible sponsorship later on.

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
easier and better to include everyone in my PR application, but unfortunately not always possible..

we also have two children, one is going to be included in my application, and the other one is not.

situtions in life are not allways black and white, and my familly falls under the grey category :)

so for now., the plan is for all of us to land in canada together, one child and myself with PR status, and my husbent and our 2 year old - on whatever visa type the immigrations officer grants them.

I am hoping our situation will resolve itself over time, and we will all stay in canada as PRs at some point, or we will all return to croatia ( i am hoping for the first option )