+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

married but never lived together (Nikah only)

amatullah

Oct 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2010
AOR Received.
May 2010
My Canadian National Spouse visited his home town (Pakistan) after 8 years and we then got married a year back. It was an arranged marriage but we did not live together. Our marriage was actually a Nikah (as per Muslim Shariya) and my departure from my parents home is pending until the completion of our immigration process. My husband spent a year in the home town to settle some family matters and went to Canada. Now he is going to sponsor me from Canada. But some of his friends informed him that Canadian embassy does not consider such marriage (nikah without bride's departure from partents home) legal. I am so much worried. Can any one guide me about this? Thank you.

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
Hello

The most important point here is that you got married officially. As far as I am aware your nikah is the official marriage in Pakistan. If so, then it is recognized in Canada. Does it matter if you have consummated your marriage or not? I don't think so. The Immigration Canada are more interested in your "genuine marriage". make sure you can provide evidence (if needed) to support your "genuine" marriage basement.

Good luck

amatullah

Oct 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2010
AOR Received.
May 2010
Thank you Halifax-Maple for the prompt and convincing response. Yes, our nikah took placed under Muslim Laws and it is official and genuine Marriage. I am so much hopeful about my case but one of my husband's friend experienced so much difficulties and he had to come to Pakistan and then he arranged the marriage reception / Walima, sent the evidence and then got the acceptance from the embassy. Thats is why i am a little bit concerned. If anybody applied with the same status (as of mine), please comment. Will be grateful

samdxb

Star Member
Jun 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
1 june letter dated 25 may
VISA ISSUED...
sent on 8 june, stamped 17 june, recieved 28 june
LANDED..........
26 july Inshallah
well im sure u have your nikkah pics. send them as a proof. nothing to worry about...there are thousands of cases of immigration on nikkah basis. doesnt matter if u havent lived together...no need to explicitly mention that u dont have a live in relationship.

amatullah

Oct 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2010
AOR Received.
May 2010
Thank you samdxb. My point of concer is actually the question No. 27 of Questionnaire which says: Have you and your sponsor lived together? No -> Explain Why? Yes-> Give dates of periods of cohibitation (from - to).

stealth

Star Member
Sep 3, 2008
I wouldn't worry about that. Many people I know of got married like that and never lived together, they also were accepted.

The visa officers in your country will understand. InshAllah all goes well for you, and it is a speedy process.

amatullah

Oct 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2010
AOR Received.
May 2010
Dear stealth, My husband spent a year in Pakistan after marraige then went to Canada. We postponed our marriage life until the completion of our immigration process. Will the embassy accept our case? I wonder they would ask why we never lived together during the last year when my husband was in Pakistan? we have our marraige photos, e-mail and SMS (Mobile phone messages) record for the entire period of the year when he was in Pakistan. How would you see our case?

Al.Abed

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
amatullah,

dont worry about it, you are legally in pakistan and in canada. you're marriage is recognized in both countries. I did similar thing (katb ktab), which i believe is the same as pakistani nikah, which is basically write up the contract etc. I didn't have a wedding or a party or a honeymoon. my wife just got her visa couple weeks ago so I'll be going there for the wedding/honeymoon soon'sh.

Just explain your case in your application to why you didn't live together, etc and provide as much 'evidence' as possible that you have a genuine relationship.

another thing to keep in mind, the reason your application is sent to the LOCAL office (not canada office) is because each office is familiar with the culture and what is considered 'normal'. what you did is completely normal in pakistan and the IO officer who is doing your application will understand, and I'm sure he/she has had many applications like yours.

Good luck and inshallah you will have no problems!

DU

Oct 4, 2009
Al-Abed thank you for the good wishes. My husband who right now is in Canada informed me about some bad experiences his friends have had with the embassy. They asked some very personal and even embarrassing questions with one of his friends to check the validity of his marriage.
It seems polices are tighten for Pakistani people. The rejection rate is 15% as per last years statistics of my country. Embassy people are very right in investigating the cases because unfortunately there are many Pakistanis who did frauds and hence, our reliability is questionable. Thats is why I worried. All the members are requested to pray for me.